Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout Rules.

Options
  • 12-01-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

This has really happened to me before anybody thinks it's an extreme case!

Ok, you approach a roundabout and at the exact same time so do other people filling all the entrances of the roundabout. Each person must give way to the person on their right and therefore in turn nobody has the right of way. The roundabout in question is pretty small so "chancing it" is risky. Can anybody tell me what the rule is or does pure courtesy come into play? BTW, there is nobody else already on the roundabout.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You panic and try to imagine a world with no hypothetical situations :P

Courtesy, and lack thereof comes in to play - someone has to decide to go first. Probably the BMW driver ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

You just dont think of things like that untill they happen. Last week i was coming towards one of those small paint on roundabouts and saw a car on the right so i stopped, and of course so did he because there was a car entering on his right, thing was it was a garda car, which had stopped for me.

Now, i wasnt about to cut off some driver with a garda car in front of me, so for about 20 seconds and three of us were stopped waiting for someone to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

had something like that happen to me alright. Lot of those really small roundabouts in the middle of kilkenny and I came to one and there was a car on my right so I stopped and waited for them to go but they stalled or something and when they went to move a car had come on their right so they stopped but of course I had seen them stall so I started to move and the car on their right [my left] stopped so everyone kinda just stopped and looked at the other cars waiting for them to move, finally after about 40 seconds I just said feck it and went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I hate trying to decide when to enter a roundabout. Especially cos hardly anyone indicates!!! I'm sitting there wanting to go into the left lane, there is nobody in the left lane coming from my right but chances are some clown in the right lane will cut across into the left lane in front of me just as I'm trying to get in!
    I mean, do I just assume everyone is in the correct lane and get into the left while there's no one else in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LuckyStar wrote: »
    I'm sitting there wanting to go into the left lane, there is nobody in the left lane coming from my right but chances are some clown in the right lane will cut across into the left lane in front of me just as I'm trying to get in!
    I mean, do I just assume everyone is in the correct lane and get into the left while there's no one else in it?
    You should treat the roundabout like a junction. You must give way to traffic on your right.

Would you enter a non-signal controlled junction if there was traffic approaching from you right? :eek:

Those 'clowns' you referred to may have entered the roundabout on their right hand lane to take the third exit. Lets assume their 3rd exit is your 1st exit. There would be required to change from the right lane to the left lane as they approached you.

I accept that they should be indicating but if you entered the roundabout as they were changing lanes and caused an accident, I think the 'clown' title would rest elsewhere. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement