Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC keeps crashing modem

Options
  • 12-01-2008 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Ok, Sorry if this is a bit of a long story..but here goes.

Got my broadband thru BT, plugged into an Azurewave wireless ethernet switch. Everything was fine until last weekend. Got some viruses/trojans on my PC, thought I managed to sort it out.

My broadband connection kept crashing every few minutes. All the lights on the modem would be on (power, DSL, Ethernet & Internet lights) but no computer in the house could connect, not even to the Modems IP address. I thought this was a modem issue.

I've finally worked out that its my PC thats causing the modem to crash. Once the PC isn't connected to the network my macbook and GF's laptop works fine on the wireless network (I had suspected the wireless ethernet switch for causing the crash but figured it was my PC when I hooked the PC up via LAN cable and the problem started again even though my mac worked perfectly via LAN cable)

I've run virus software updates and full scans and my anti-virus has found nothing but the PC keeps disconnecting. I've tried everything I can think of.

Any help is appreciated. MY PC is a Dell Dimension 8300 with the XP home & Service Pack 2 update.

Thanks,

Pete.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

pete4130 wrote: »
    Ok, Sorry if this is a bit of a long story..but here goes.

Got my broadband thru BT, plugged into an Azurewave wireless ethernet switch. Everything was fine until last weekend. Got some viruses/trojans on my PC, thought I managed to sort it out.

My broadband connection kept crashing every few minutes. All the lights on the modem would be on (power, DSL, Ethernet & Internet lights) but no computer in the house could connect, not even to the Modems IP address. I thought this was a modem issue.

I've finally worked out that its my PC thats causing the modem to crash. Once the PC isn't connected to the network my macbook and GF's laptop works fine on the wireless network (I had suspected the wireless ethernet switch for causing the crash but figured it was my PC when I hooked the PC up via LAN cable and the problem started again even though my mac worked perfectly via LAN cable)

I've run virus software updates and full scans and my anti-virus has found nothing but the PC keeps disconnecting. I've tried everything I can think of.

Any help is appreciated. MY PC is a Dell Dimension 8300 with the XP home & Service Pack 2 update.

Thanks,

Pete.

I would check your Device Manager for any errors on your Ethernet card or Wireless Card, you could always try reinstalling the Drivers for both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Thanks for the reply, I checked the USB wireless dongle I have and its self installing, no drivers needed. It's this one here:

http://www.sitecom.com/drivers_result.php?groupid=5&productid=407

Thanks for the reply, I checked the USB wireless dongle I have and its self installing, no drivers needed. It's this one here:

http://www.sitecom.com/drivers_result.php?groupid=5&productid=407

Ok, i just read through your post a second time, your PC crashes when connected via the Ethernet cable and USB dongle? Whats the modem your ISP provided you with? Are you connecting a wired modem through a wireless router, have you tried just the modem supplied by your ISP? I would suspect maybe you still have a virus, but its happening on both Windows and Mac so its unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Barlow,

Thanks for the replies. MY IP gave me a router/modem (BT Voyager 210 modem).
    It's only got 1 Ethernet out port which is a pain, so a few months ago I bought an Azurewave Ethernet switch which I the BT modem plugs into via the Ethernet cable, the switch then splits the broadband signal to up to 4 ports and also sends the signal wireless.
    My PC isn't wireless enabled so I bought a USB wireless dongle to receive the signal. It's worked great for the past few months.

I don't have the dongle and ethernet cable plugged into my PC at the same time. I was using the ethernet cable directly into my PC as I thought it was my ethernet switch that was causing the problem. My PC then started to crash when connected via the ethernet cable and I figured it was my PC that was the problem.

It is only happening on the PC. The mac runs fine via wireless or ethernet once the PC isn't connected at all (either via ethernet or Wireless) which confirms to me that the PC is the problem. I can't connect for long enough to do an online scan even. I got a 6 month subscription to Norton Anti-Virus and I installed that today and used dial up to get the live updates and then disconnected and ran a full scan (no issues with dial up whatsoever). The scan came back clean, nothing found.

I'm totally lost on this and going mad!

I can't connect for long enough to do an online scan even. I got a 6 month subscription to Norton Anti-Virus and I installed that today and used dial up to get the live updates and then disconnected and ran a full scan (no issues with dial up whatsoever). The scan came back clean, nothing found.

I'm totally lost on this and going mad!

I think you will find Norton is actually not that great from members here and everywhere. If i was you i would try and boot windows in Safe Mode and see if it crashes, if not then you still have some virus on your PC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement