Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from green issues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭casey212

No that is not true because that is not the only to create wealth. It is in fact one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard against globalisation. If you provide someone with a service you are not transforming anything yet you can still make a profit. If I fix a computer for someone and charge them €50 I am still making money. All it costs me is my free time.

Mate, I have a PhD in international finance, give me a break.

If the person does not have the €50 to give you, what happens the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

casey212 wrote: »
    Mate, I have a PhD in international finance, give me a break.

If the person does not have the €50 to give you, what happens the system?
    If you have a Phd in international finance, why don't you go and put it to good use instead of wasting your time here?

Oscar isn't going to unban you.

smashey wrote: »
    If you have a Phd in international finance, why don't you go and put it to good use instead of wasting your time here?

Oscar isn't going to unban you.

You would not believe the research project I am working on.

I'll deal with Oscar when he is back.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You havent explained, considering you feel we are sooooo much part of the machine here, why you can't simply go and create a blog on blogger.com or a myspace page and be unfettered from our shackled and limited perceptions here at Boards.

I suspect you simply want your 15 minutes of fame.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    You havent explained, considering you feel we are sooooo much part of the machine here, why you can't simply go and create a blog on blogger.com or a myspace page and be unfettered from our shackled and limited perceptions here at Boards.

I suspect you simply want your 15 minutes of fame.

DeV.

Thats another thing that people are unaware of. Bebo and myspace pages are insane. I know hundreds of people whos names I can type into google and get a full life story basically. Their age, residence, friends, social calander, education background, job, current location, photos, interests. I personally check google every week to make sure that no information comes up, and certaintly no photos which other people seem to have a habit uploading.

http://valleywag.com/tech/your-privacy-is-an-illusion/bank-intern-busted-by-facebook-321802.php

The same goes for a blog.

Give me back my access to green issues and you wont hear from me again. As I said before I feel the environment scam to be the biggest threat to my personal liberty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thats another thing that people are unaware of. Bebo and myspace pages are insane. I know hundreds of people whos names I can type into google and get a full life story basically. Their age, residence, friends, social calander, education background, job, current location, photos, interests. I personally check google every week to make sure that no information comes up, and certaintly no photos which other people seem to have a habit uploading.

You only give out the information you choose. You can create a myspace page or a blog without having to upload pictures of yourself or release any of your personal details. As long as you don't do any of that, what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

All the same DeV - Can we keep him/her? He/she is quite amusing.

Put him/her on a leash in some out-of-the-way forum with just enough traffic to feed it & we can go & poke it with sticks occasionally for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Thats another thing that people are unaware of. Bebo and myspace pages are insane.

Did you use the Phd to work that out?
    case212 wrote:
    As I said before I feel the environment scam to be the biggest threat to my personal liberty.

You really are Paddy20 in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

With your Phd in international finance, would you care to speculate who owns and runs the fleet of super tankers that are spraying our countries?

You only give out the information you choose. You can create a myspace page or a blog without having to upload pictures of yourself or release any of your personal details. As long as you don't do any of that, what's the problem?

Identity theft is one of the biggest threats in the digital age. If I have your name and date of birth things can spiral from there. Read "the art of deception" by kevin mitnick.

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    With your Phd in international finance, would you care to speculate who owns and runs the fleet of super tankers that are spraying our countries?

I could probably speculate quite accurately, however I cannot reference the irish times.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Identity theft is one of the biggest threats in the digital age. If I have your name and date of birth things can spiral from there. Read "the art of deception" by kevin mitnick.

But you don't have to give out these things on myspace or your blog.

smashey wrote: »
    Did you use the Phd to work that out?

You would be surprised by the number of people who overlook this fact. Just type a few names into google and find out for yourself.

But you don't have to give out these things on myspace or your blog.

Agreed, but vast majority of people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Give me back my access to green issues and you wont hear from me again. As I said before I feel the environment scam to be the biggest threat to my personal liberty.

Wow, you sound like Linoge, "Give me what I want and I'll leave."

You were banned from Green Issues because what you were talking about were conspiracy theories. Conspiracy thesories go in the Conspiracy Theories forum. That's what it's there for. You're not going to be unbanned. Just let it be. Your ban will be up in a couple of weeks as it is. If you keep up the nonsense or the veiled threats (" I'll deal with Oscar when he is back") then you'll find yourself sitebanned, which would be a bad thing, since you might think it's "the man" working against you.

Agreed, but vast majority of people do.

So why don't you, as Dev says "go and create a blog on blogger.com or a myspace page and be unfettered from our shackled and limited perceptions here at Boards"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mate, I have a PhD in international finance [...]
    From where? Patriot Bible University or something like it? It's easy to do!

So why don't you, as Dev says "go and create a blog on blogger.com or a myspace page and be unfettered from our shackled and limited perceptions here at Boards"?

Would I be correct in saying you have a bebo?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

You would not believe the research project I am working on.
    Somehow, I don't expect I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I could probably speculate quite accurately, however I cannot reference the irish times.
    A speculation was all I asked for!

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    A speculation was all I asked for!

This brings so called unfounded allegations into the arena.

Would I be correct in saying you have a bebo?

And your point?

And your point?

You must be insane, with no responsibility for your own privacy.

You must be insane, with no responsibility for your own privacy.

But that doesn't explain why you can't set up a blog and talk about all your conspiracy theories there like Dev suggested.

Or the common sense not to put important information on it. If you want to commit identity theft, you don't need bebo, or myspace. There's thousands of ways of doing it. The only sure fire way to avoid it is live a hermits life in a cave somewhere.

But that doesn't explain why you can't set up a blog and talk about all your conspiracy theories there like Dev suggested.

And how many people would that reach?

Anticipated response.

Well that would depend on what you have to say, do you not think you are interesting enough. Does this not reflect one you!

humanji wrote: »
    Or the common sense not to put important information on it. If you want to commit identity theft, you don't need bebo, or myspace. There's thousands of ways of doing it. The only sure fire way to avoid it is live a hermits life in a cave somewhere.

Of couse, but you can make it a lot harder. If you had a choice between a hard target and easy target which would you choose?

There are much easier targets than those on myspace and bebo. Infact, using those sites would be counter productive because you have to trawl through countless profiles to find one with all the informaiton you require. It's easier to just pop into town and get someones birth cert. From there, the worlds your oyster.

And how many people would that reach?

Boards isn't here so that you can spread your words of warning to as many people as possible. It is for discussion. You are ruining discussion in greens issues because you keep posting your conspiracy theories there which is not what the forum is meant for.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    There are much easier targets than those on myspace and bebo. Infact, using those sites would be counter productive because you have to trawl through countless profiles to find one with all the informaiton you require. It's easier to just pop into town and get someones birth cert. From there, the worlds your oyster.

You need even basic information for that. And anyway it need not go as extreme as identity theft. Lack of personal privacy is a major issue nowadays, even look at credit cards, store cards, and most problematic of all RFID which will be shortly introduced on a grand scale.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement