Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone and clones

• 12-01-2008 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a new phone and I have to admit, the iPhone does look like a very nice (albeit expensive!) piece of kit. I've a few questions/concerns though which I'd appreciate some feedback on:

- The unlocking issues. I gather, depending on what firmware it comes with, it may or may not be possible to (easily) unlock these. I read over in the other thread about cutting up sim cards and "stealth"/turbo sims being required to make it work. Anyone that's done it, how difficult is it? (I see one on Adverts that's now useless as a phone as the sim holder was damaged in the attempt).

- Do they work here with full functionality - specifically on Meteor's network.

- The integrated battery (typical of Apple) is putting me off, especially if something went wrong and it was an imported phone. Anyone have any issues so far?

- Anything else to be aware of?

Then there's the range of iPhone clones - the A380i for example. Plus sides for me on these are the cost, seperate batteries, better expandability etc. But there is the concern that I could get stuck with a cheap knockoff that'd cause me more hassle in the end.b Has anyone got one of these or which is currently "the best" clone?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh, and having read a bit more, are there any of the clones that have WLAN support? The CECT A8+ looks pretty good but has no WLAN support :( That said, I saw a WLAN SD Card online. Would think work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Oh, and having read a bit more, are there any of the clones that have WLAN support? The CECT A8+ looks pretty good but has no WLAN support :( That said, I saw a WLAN SD Card online. Would think work?

Doubt very much that it would work

The clone would have to have an SDIO slot not just a standard SD one and the OS on the phone would have to have drivers etc which I can't see happening on a cheap chines clone

My advice is to stay away from the clones or at least do some more research so you go in with your eyes open.

They look similar to the iphone but they do not have the same OS or features i would imagine it is similar to the Nano clones they look ok from a distance but they are cheap and nasty looking up close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

I'm in the market for a new phone and I have to admit, the iPhone does look like a very nice (albeit expensive!) piece of kit. I've a few questions/concerns though which I'd appreciate some feedback on:

- The unlocking issues. I gather, depending on what firmware it comes with, it may or may not be possible to (easily) unlock these. I read over in the other thread about cutting up sim cards and "stealth"/turbo sims being required to make it work. Anyone that's done it, how difficult is it? (I see one on Adverts that's now useless as a phone as the sim holder was damaged in the attempt).

Stealthsims and iphonesimfreer cards are easy to use and very straight forward the guy on adverts was using a hypercard which is a different kettle of fish
    - Do they work here with full functionality - specifically on Meteor's network.

Yes everything except visual voicemail

- The integrated battery (typical of Apple) is putting me off, especially if something went wrong and it was an imported phone. Anyone have any issues so far?

nothing so far but Ipods have integrated batteries and changing them is very easy

- Anything else to be aware of?

if you are considering it might be an idea to get one soon 1.1.3 will be out anyday and while 1.1.2 needs a sim solution it is possible that that might not be available to 1.1.3 phones or might take some time to be available

Advertisement