Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Kangoo

Options
  • 12-01-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of getting a 2000 Kangoo MPV. It's got a 1.4 petrol engine with approx. 70K on the clock.

Any major issues with this model?

Had a test drive today, it's just a big box on wheels!!:D Very stiff clutch pedel, is this normal? Seems to drive OK & everything works, lights, radio, winscreen wipers etc.

I need something with a bit of space & is capable of towing a small boat, 16foot. My budget is 4K max.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, very stiff/resistant clutch pedal is a common renault "feature". If you're going to be towing stuff I'd consider a diesel instead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Kevin dublin

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes a diesel would be better but the road tax is higher on a 1.9. I think there's a 1.5 varsion but its outside my budget.

The car will get very little use really & I just want something cheap & cheerful which has low running costs, tax, insurance etc.

My thinking is that the Kangoo is a big lump of a thing & should be capable of towing a modest load or is this false logic?

Can anybody recommend a small cc diesal which is OK for towing and costs max. 4K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many Thanks

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I did a fair bit of towing with our 1.4 Scenic - but you'll notice the MPG fall off a cliff.......

A friend of mine has a 1.5 Citroen Saxo diesel and pulls his boat with it, no prob. Not easy to find, though, but very, very good - cheap as chips to buy, and averages 70mpg+

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Hi,

Thinking of getting a 2000 Kangoo MPV. It's got a 1.4 petrol engine with approx. 70K on the clock.

Have you looked at the Citroën Berlingo Multispace - it's similar and usually cheaper - if you can find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

crosstownk wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Citroën Berlingo Multispace - it's similar and usually cheaper - if you can find one.

Only the newer ones come wih 1.6D though dont they? Older ones were 1.9.

It looks like it'll be a trade off between spendign more on a car for a smaller diesel, spending more on tax for an older larger diesel or towing with a small petrol.

On the Kangoo front , i know a few people with diesel vans and all like them.

My uncle was using a petrol (seats removed) as a work van for a whiel but got rid because he had come from always having diesels and the mpg he was gettign in the petrol kangoo with all his extra weight from tools etc was terrible.

I had my tools in the back of the missus 1.4 scenic a couple of times, and while its not a particularly weedy engine by 1.4 standards (100 bhp iirc) there was a noticable drag with the extra weight.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the replies, all good advice.

I'm going to follow up on the diesel Saxo, it might just fit the bill if I can find one!!!

I've never been in a Saxo. I'm 6' 3", will I fit :D

Once again thanks for the replies.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I'm 6' 3".. Saxo is a tight squeeze. Mine had a sunroof so it might be a bit better without one. Still tho, I wouldnt get one again as it was a time uncomfortably small

What about a 206 1.4HDI.... That should do the job. Only prob is that they're fairly rare... plenty about in the commercial form. I'm thinking of the older ones here(to suit ur 4k budget)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I had a friend with a kangoo MPV, he reckoned the extra space in the back is for drums of petrol to get from town to town when towing a trailer.... HE reckoned 20'ish MPG with a single wheel trailor carrying a fer cwt'

Hi bbam,

Interesting info on the MPG!!

The more I think about it the Kangoo is a heavy car to start with, the 1.4L engine is just about big enough to 'push' it around. Stick a trailer on it with a 16' boat & I'm sure it will struggle.

I'm going to look for a diesel Saxo or 206, I like the idea of having a small'ish car but with a decent torquey 1.4-1.6 diesel engine.

Once again, many thanks for all the advice.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The more I think about it the Kangoo is a heavy car to start with, the 1.4L engine is just about big enough to 'push' it around. Stick a trailer on it with a 16' boat & I'm sure it will struggle.

Just as well it isnt a 1.4 golf, probably would'nt take off at all. :)

I doubt any small petrol engin eis going to fit the bill for you. It'll either have to be a larger petrol or a diesel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement