Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband advice please.

Options
  • 12-01-2008 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

First of all I'm not very tech minded so excuse any stupidities.

Okay so I have broadband internet with NTL on my home PC. I have had that for about 2 years now and by and large I am very happy with it. Several people in the house use the home PC.

Recently I have bought my own personal laptop. Now I use the laptop mainly in the house downstairs away from the home PC but alas I have no internet. What I'm looking to know is what should I do with the internet situation in my house? Do I need to get a second internet account for my laptop or can I get a broadband provider that will do for both? I see Irish broadband are popular on the broadband poll would they be my best bet?

I would like to use my laptop with internet anywhere a la an O2 but this seems dear and is is not essential.

Any advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You can purchase a wireless router (often called a 'cable router'); do not purchase an ADSL router (the one for broadband through your phone line). This will allow multiple PCs and/or laptops use your NTL connection at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

Okay, thanks. Which wireles router should i buy for my ntl cable modem

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I believe this should sort you out, http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306148

I have a similar model with an VoIP ATA built in and it took me about 5min to get it working with my NTL Cable Modem,

If your unsure what your doing you might be better off asking for NTL to give you one of there wireless modem/routers

Advertisement