Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat screen TV

Options
  • 12-01-2008 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

think it's about time I gave up my 10" tv and got something decent, anyone know where in Galway to shop for one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

meet me in the carpark at dunnes in westside at half eleven tonight, come alone, and bring money

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

how big a tv do you want. Tvs up to 39" will be shipped to Ireland from online places like directtvs.co.uk.

If you want 40" or bigger and drive Reserve online with Currys and make the 3 hour drive to Enniskillen. I saved about E400 doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

MattKid wrote: »
    how big a tv do you want. Tvs up to 39" will be shipped to Ireland from online places like directtvs.co.uk.

If you want 40" or bigger and drive Reserve online with Currys and make the 3 hour drive to Enniskillen. I saved about E400 doing that

If your buying up north make sure the TV is fitted with a VHF tuner. NTL in Galway City broadcast on VHF as does RTE's transmitter in Maghara, Co Clare so if your using an outdoor aerial to pick up the terrestrial stations you will need a VHF tuner. The UK use only UHF.
    Sony has been fitting dual VHF/UHF tuners to their TV's for a number of years. so these won't cause any problems if buying outside the republic.
    Check out the TV's in the shops in Galway, find the one you like then save yourself hundreds of Euro and buy online. Check the manufacturers specification to see if it has a VHF tuner installed.
    The prices been charged in the shops in Galway for electrical items amazes me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

scart wrote: »
    If your buying up north make sure the TV is fitted with a VHF tuner. NTL in Galway City broadcast on VHF as does RTE's transmitter in Maghara, Co Clare so if your using an outdoor aerial to pick up the terrestrial stations you will need a VHF tuner. The UK use only UHF.
    Sony has been fitting dual VHF/UHF tuners to their TV's for a number of years. so these won't cause any problems if buying outside the republic.
    Check out the TV's in the shops in Galway, find the one you like then save yourself hundreds of Euro and buy online. Check the manufacturers specification to see if it has a VHF tuner installed.
    The prices been charged in the shops in Galway for electrical items amazes me!

Ironically, your username is Scart. :D

Good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I got a 32" Samsung in PC World/Currys last year. I think they're around €899 at the moment. Brilliant TV (would want to be at that kind of money!!!)

My parents got a flatscreen with built in DVD in N17 during the week (Pressio, or something similar). Don't know what it cost.

Keep an eye open in Dunnes and Aldi, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The 26 inch lcd in Aldi looks good for 409 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

There was good value this time last year in the sale in The Sony centre in Wellpark.Could be worth checking if there's a sale on ATM

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Scobius90

scart wrote: »

if you are using digital you don't need the VHF tuner, its only analogue that broadcast on VHF. and if you get a large set you should really be using a digital signal anyway as the analogue signal can be messy on the larger screens.

I recently purchased a 42" Plasma (UK version w/o the VHF tuner) and saved over €300 on the exact same deal (5yr warranty etc) from richersounds in Belfast and this included delivery to my door here in Gal. ask them for the GBP price as it cheaper than their quoted Euro prices www.richersounds.ie

Good luck!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

The 26 inch lcd in Aldi looks good for 409 at the moment

Not sure of the spec for this Aldi model but genarally pile em high sell em cheap LCD's will not have the best and latest image processing technology in them so will suffer image problems.
    Unlike Plasma LCD technology has always suffered from motion blurring problems, so if you watch fast moving sports or films then this will cause problems. The big name manufacturers are always trying to improve things by adding advanced image processing technology to counteract the problems and some have made vast improvements.
    I was in a sony centre recently and was looking at a bravia 26"model(KDL-26S3000). SkySports High def was showing a heineken cup rugby game on it and the picture looked amazing untill kick off when the action became fast and furious and the problem with motion blurring became apparent.
    If you want the best 26" LCD then you will want the Panasonic TX-26LX70(UK equivelent TX-26LXD70, only difference is no digital terrestrial tuner in irish model).
    Its generally considered to be the best amoung its class. Its the only 26" to use a 100hzh refresh rate and because of this fast panning coverage is remarkably free of motion blur or smearing.
    They are currently on sale in the Panasonic dealer Hynes Tv on dominick st. for E899
    Here is an independent review http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/Panasonic_TX26LXD70.htm

The 2nd best 26" LCD is the Sony KLD-26T3000. Only 50hzh but sound supposodly better than than panasonic. E100 less than the panasonic.
    Serious supply issues at the moment. Most UK retailers have no stock at the moment. Not sure when that ship carrying them comes into port!
    Here is an independent review
    http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/sony_kdl-26t3000.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Has the OP dissapeared?

komplett.ie have a few good deals. I think that directtvs.co.uk are expensive? Laptopsdirect.ie have a few tvs as well.

Tescos in Northern Ireland have some cracking deals. My dad brought a 19" widescreen HD ready with built in digital tuner for £179.

My advice, Stay well away from Currys/Pc World here. No customer service and way over priced. Like mattkid said about the drive to enniskillen, its worth it. A day out as well to save a few more quid in the supermarkets (Asda and Tesco). It will pay for your petrol in the money you save.

• Advertisement
Advertisement