Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Way of studying??

Options
  • 12-01-2008 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

OK, so I've neglected study up to now and did dismal on my X-Mas exams except for English. I'm looking for the best approch to studying for the leaving cert. I know people have differnt ways but I'm looking for peoples oppinion here, also how much should I be doing to start now I'm looking for 380 points and I'm doing 5 Higher Level subjects and 1 Ordinary but being dismal at Physics and Maths I might have to drop down. So based on both scenarios what do you think I should do to reach my goal of 380 points.
    Thanks and post asap I don't want to fail my Leaving Cert !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

Valde wrote: »
    OK, so I've neglected study up to now and did dismal on my X-Mas exams except for English. I'm looking for the best approch to studying for the leaving cert. I know people have differnt ways but I'm looking for peoples oppinion here, also how much should I be doing to start now I'm looking for 380 points and I'm doing 5 Higher Level subjects and 1 Ordinary but being dismal at Physics and Maths I might have to drop down. So based on both scenarios what do you think I should do to reach my goal of 380 points.
    Thanks and post asap I don't want to fail my Leaving Cert !

What level in English are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Valde

Higher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

If you only want 380 points, you don't need to study at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Of course he does Pat. Some people have to study very hard to even get 300 never mind 380...it's all down to the individual.

Do about 3 to 4 hours a night Valde if you're comfortable with that and you should be fine. It's not always about the TIME though but about the amount of work you put in and how much your mind takes in over time.

Organise a plan, try stick to it, give regular breaks and don't worry too much (a little will motivate you though!).

Oh and speak to your teachers to see what they think you could do to help yourself...they WILL help you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Try estimate what grades you'll get in your various subjects, then see what needs to be brought up to get your goal. Also I'd recommend aiming higher than what you need in case the points go up or you decide you want to do something else.

As far as studying goes.. can't say I'm too mad about it, but what I generally do is do things in 40 minute blocks, that's how long the classes in school are. Decide exactly what you want to get done in that time frame, (as they say, a task expands to fill the time given to it, so in that respect it's important to allocate a time) specifically enough so you're not sort of sitting there going "Okay I have to learn all my Irish history now... hum...". It's easier to do a lot of small tasks than trying to face a giant block of work.

For specific techniques.. well everyone learns in a slightly different way, but for things like maths, the best way to learn is by doing. For most subjects... making notes helps, reading over things, then writing down what you can remember, then going back over it to see what you left out, then trying again a while later. If you're just reading passively you're not going to remember much. Also for things like maths and physics, everything is much easier if you understand the concept. Like, definitions in physics always seem so daunting because you have to learn them off, but if you just understand the idea, and stick in some physicsy words, you should be alright. (Random example: Thermionic Emission.. metal gets hot, gives off electrons... physics it up: "The emission of electrons from the surface of a metal due to heat" or somesuch.) At least I'm hoping they don't expect word-for-word precise definitions...

So long as you can get yourself to sit down and do the work, you'll be grand. You don't have to know every single thing on every course perfectly, so don't get freak out about that.. doesn't help much. Just learn what you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Remember: Reading 10 chapters of your chemistry book doesn't mean you know 10 chapters of your chemistry book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

impossible to distinguish, everybody has there own opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

I was terrible for studying for ages, couldn't understand why i wasn't retaining what i was covering when my mates could read it a few times and know it! It was sooo frustrating, had a chat with a teacher and he advised that i write the stuff out...

Lengthened the studying but it defo worked for me!

I also found that i studied better early in the morning i.e an hour or two before school was great, that way i could chill for a while after school and not feel guilty and then do another hour or two.

Re maths.... you just need to do all of the questions you can possibly find i think!

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Write out one or two words for sentances, and hopefully they'll spring more and more information back into you head.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

My method for subjects like biology, physics, history etc. is to just work your way through the chapter, summarising all the major points and passages as you go along and then go through the chapter questions, see how many you can get from memory, alternatively, try copy out the notes you just took from memory. Hope that helps some.

• Advertisement
Advertisement