Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netopia PC Wireless Card won't connect

• 12-01-2008 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Trying to connect a Netopia Wireless PC Card (thats what it says on the card) to my router. The model of the card is a TER/GCBA-E, and the router is a 2247NWG-EIR.

Another wireless card, a built-in Intel card, from another notebook connects to the router OK, though.

The reason why I'm using a Netopia Wireless PC Card, is that the previous card, a 3com one, also failed to work with the new wireless router.

The old router was a Netopia 3347W, and everything was OK with that (it, like 3 previous ones, died, or stopped working).

Now for the odd bit: I'm using WPA-PSK, and the error gives me when I try to connect it is "wrong key", except I know it's the correct key, to the point of writing it in plain text, comparing it to the key on the router, and copying and pasting it into the "Netopia 3D REACH Utility" all fails. Connecting using other devices (other notebooks, wirelss pictureframe) all work with this key, so I'm guessing it's not the key.

The only problem that I can see, is that the notebook is running Windows 2000. With the old router, this wasn't a problem, but I'm unsudre if it's a problem with the new router.

Any help or thoughts woud be nice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Can the wireless utility actually detect your network or are you entering the SSID/network name manually?

Are you using the wireless config utility built into Windows or the one that came with the device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ethernet wrote: »
    Can the wireless utility actually detect your network or are you entering the SSID/network name manually?

Are you using the wireless config utility built into Windows or the one that came with the device?
    The wireless utility can detect my network, using it's own config utility (don't think Windows 2000 has it's own wireless utility like XP), but doesn't connect. I'm using "infrastructure", but when I tried with Ad Hoc, it connected for a brief couple of seconds, then disconnected. Was able to connect to a neighbours WEP router ;), so I know the card works, but can't connect to my WPA router.

Going to check if there's a later firmware for the router tomorrow, to see if that helps. Unable to find any reference to the Wireless card (TER/GCBA-E), only able to find a similiar named card (TER/GCBA-N).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Hope this isn't the cause, but I'm getting the feeling Windows 2000 doesn't like WPA: linky. It would explain how you managed to connect to a WEP-encrypted network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ethernet wrote: »
    Hope this isn't the cause, but I'm getting the feeling Windows 2000 doesn't like WPA: linky. It would explain how you managed to connect to a WEP-encrypted network.
    That would explain it, except that with a previous router, Win2K worked ok. Odd :/

Advertisement