Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Aid/Benefits

Options
  • 12-01-2008 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi there, I hope there is someone out there in a similar situation to ours. I have looked everywhere for advice but am getteing nowhere fast. Here goes... My girlfriend is in full time education and is due our first baby in May. In the past she was employed in a shop covering weekends but this stopped last September due to her final year in college. We have been in contact with Social Welfare and she has her full PRSI status (stamps). She is not entitled to Maternity Benefit as she is not employed by anyone. I am just wondering what benefits she is entitled to. We are not married but she has moved into my house so I doubt rent allowance is applicable as the house is in my name. I really just want to be able to plan ahead and figure out how we are going to be financially. I am in full time employment but doubt it makes any difference to her Social Welfare status as we are unmarried. Any advice at all would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

wcullen wrote: »
    Hi there, I hope there is someone out there in a similar situation to ours. I have looked everywhere for advice but am getteing nowhere fast. Here goes... My girlfriend is in full time education and is due our first baby in May. In the past she was employed in a shop covering weekends but this stopped last September due to her final year in college. We have been in contact with Social Welfare and she has her full PRSI status (stamps). She is not entitled to Maternity Benefit as she is not employed by anyone. I am just wondering what benefits she is entitled to. We are not married but she has moved into my house so I doubt rent allowance is applicable as the house is in my name. I really just want to be able to plan ahead and figure out how we are going to be financially. I am in full time employment but doubt it makes any difference to her Social Welfare status as we are unmarried. Any advice at all would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

I'm sure she could get the dole (€185 per week last time I checked) plus the child benefit allowance. Isn't there also a once-off payment for children uder a certain age? Not sure about rent allowance... Askaboutmoney.com have a whole section on state benefits which is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Advertisement