Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP

• 12-01-2008 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all, this is my first posting on boards.ie. I'm having a few problems with my laptop for the past few weeks and hope that a few of you experts can help me out. TBH I must warn you all that I'm not a computer expert so I'll need a step by step explanation from you folks! The first problem I'm having is that the list of programs are gone from all programs on the start menu. I have tried system restore but there doesn't appear to be any restore points!
    Also how do I get rid of all of those icons on the right hand side of my taskbar? These things all come up when I start the laptop. It's very annoying having to close them down every time I start the computer. I've tried looking in the various program menus to see if I can disable them at startup but to no avail. Some of the programs concened are Lexmark printers, HP printers and a camera icon.
    Any help appreciated! Many thanks for taking the time to read this post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Click Start/Run . Type msconfig and click OK . Click on the Startup tab . Uncheck the box beside anything you dont want to have running when you power up the laptop . Click Apply and then OK . Click Restart Now (or Later if you have other things to do ! ) . You will get a message on restart from System Configuration Utility - click 'don't launch on startup' or similar (I dont recall the wording) . A word of caution - if you are connecting to the internet you will want your modem , firewall and antivirus to load on startup so dont uncheck them ! This will get rid of the majority of the little icons near the clock (which indicate applcations that are running) .

Re the missing program list - are you logging in to the same account with which you installed the programs ? Have you changed account privileges in Control Panel/User Accounts ? Any major changes recently ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 c2008

Hi nessyguin, thanks for your reply. I did the msconfig thing and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks for that. As regards making changes to my laptop I wouldn't even know how to make major changes. I'm the only user of the laptop and nobody else has access to it. Maybe it's got a virus or something that managed to delete the all programs list from the start menu? Also I discovered that the laptop does not recognise me as the administrator even though I am logged on as the administrator?

Hmm ... it could be a virus but wouldnt leap to that conclusion just yet . Does the laptop run slower than usual . Any strange behaviour such as your home page changed on the internet ( the first page that opens when you click Internet Explorer ) ?

Go to Control Panel/User Accounts . What accounts are listed there and are they administrator or limited accounts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Just to be clear on what exactly your problem is with the missing programs.

Are you missing the "All Programs" link on the start menu?

Or

Is the "All Programs" link there but empty?

Or

Is there no program links on the start menu at all?

Is this path available under Windows Explorer?
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Start Menu\Programs

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Ok I've had a look at control panel. There are 2 accounts, my one which lists me as the computer administrator and a guest account. The computer is running normally, I don't see any other changes in its performance.
    Also just to clarify, the all programs link is there but it's now empty. Thanks for all your help folks!

• Advertisement

c2008 wrote: »
    Also I discovered that the laptop does not recognise me as the administrator even though I am logged on as the administrator?

In what way were you not recognised as administrator ?

Also as gadgetman496 asked - Is this path available under Windows Explorer?
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Start Menu\Programs

For example when I was in the msconfig application. I went into c:/documents and settings:/myusername. It says access denied, so I can't say if it's there or not. However if I go into all users using the same method, the startup folder is empty.

Click on My Computer and then Local Disk (C: ) . Open the Documents and Settings folder . Open the folder bearing your XP user name . Open the Start Menu folder . Open the Programs folder . Are there any icons at all in this folder ?

I've tried that. It says C:\Documentsandsettings\Username is not accessible. Access is denied.
    Also I've just noticed that there seems to be 2 administrator accounts on the computer. I haven't noticed that before so I don't know if it's a recent thing or not. When I go into any of those users the startup menu is empty also.

In Documents and Settings there should be an Administrator folder as well as a folder for YourUserName . Nothing to worry about there although it's surprising that the Admin and all user startup/programs folders are both empty . Is that what makes you think there are 2 admin accounts or something else ?

• Advertisement

No when I go to documents and settings there are 2 admin user accounts, all users, my own account, guest account, default user and an owner account. In total there seems to be 7 accounts on the computer?

How many accounts are "Enabled" on your system?

When you first turn on your computer do you get a "Welcome Screen" or doest it boot straight into Windows?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

This probably sounds very stupid but how do I know whether an account is enabled or not? When I first turn on the computer it loads up and then asks me to enter my passord before it boots any programs or the desktop is that what you mean?

OK, at the screen you are prompted to enter you password, is yours the only account icon that appears there? If more then one account icon is there (for example GUEST) that tells you that the Guest account is enabled. Any accounts which are enabled will have an icon on the Welcome screen.

You can check too by going to the user accounts section of the control panel.

Anyway, get to the screen where it asks you for your password, at that point hit the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys TWICE (do it twice in succession)

This should take you to the "Classic Logon Screen"

Log on as ADMIN & see if you have all programs then.

-

Tried that and it says that the computer is unable to log me on because of an account restriction. Mine is the only account icon that appears at the screen where I'm prompted to enter my password.

I suspect that a Trojan or similar has nailed your ADMIN RIGHTS.

You should download & run "Highjack This" & post the log it creates.

Someone like ActorSeeksJob might have a look at it & advise you.

It may be necessary to use something like SDFix.

-

Advertisement