Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physics!!!

• 12-01-2008 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi im in 6th year and doing HL physics and im just wondering does anyone know how many derivations are there and and what are they?And is it just me or is the exam a bit ridiculous as there is so many questions which require knowledge of things which are not in the books or on the course!!!And there electricity section is really hard and complicated! any know ways to improve your grade?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

As far as I can remember we just had to do the ones relating to speed and velocity ie.

v = u + at
    s = ut+(1/2)a(t^2)
    v^2 = u^2 + 2as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

You need to be able to derive the period/velocity of a satellite as well.

Gm1m2/d^2 = m1a ....

EDIT: That's higher level only methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    You need to be able to derive the period/velocity of a satellite as well.

Gm1m2/d^2 = m1a ....

EDIT: That's higher level only methinks

oh yea forgot that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Hi im in 6th year and doing HL physics and im just wondering does anyone know how many derivations are there and and what are they?And is it just me or is the exam a bit ridiculous as there is so many questions which require knowledge of things which are not in the books or on the course!!!And there electricity section is really hard and complicated! any know ways to improve your grade?

you can only be asked what's in the book. also particle physics is much easier than the electronics unless you are doing engineering in which case I'd study particle physics anyway and attempt both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Sean_K wrote: »
    As far as I can remember we just had to do the ones relating to speed and velocity ie.

v = u + at
    s = ut+(1/2)a(t^2)
    v^2 = u^2 + 2as

v = wr
    n(lamda) = dsin(theta)
    F = qvB
    R = R1 + R2
    1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2

all need to be derivated too

OP if you're unsure about the contents of the syllabus

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_physics_sy.pdf?language=EN

They don't ask questions outside the limits of the syllabus. They do however require you to be able to apply your knowledge of the syllabus to problems you may be unfamiliar with.

And though I find Physics challenging, I think the exam is fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

There's about 11 proof type things we've come across so far... Left me book in school though so I don't have them just now. Stuff like the equations of motion and circular motion and some electricity stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

don't worry, the derivations are so easy. you just need to understand where the formula came from and once you get that into your head, the derivation will stick in your brain. derivations are simple to answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

cartman444 wrote: »

Learn the few formula and how to transpose them. That will get you through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Liberal dashings of words like "thus" and "logically" got me through physics. I even used the word "sweaty" in the actual exam.

Advertisement