Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog breeding/Ownership.Gordon Setters

Options
  • 12-01-2008 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of breeding my Gordon setter.Would anybody out there buy a gordon setter?
    If so,how much would you be willing to pay for it?

Anyone that owns or knows anything about the advantages/disadvantages of breeding or simply owning a gordon,please leave a comment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

give this a looksee first

http://www.geocities.com/virtualbreeding/vb1.html

and then think again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭CQ

I also have been advised to use my Gordon dog as a stud, but don't have a clue as to how to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

The worst thing you can do is think that an average litter is 4 pups * 500 euro (or whatever) = 2,000 profit!

WRONG! ;)

Wasn't thinking about money, but he is a fine looking dog, and apparently is a very good example of the breed, as i say i don't really know much about it. Does using then as a stud calm them down in any way........cause he is more than a little hyper, only a young dog, just over a year, cause if so, it would be a huge bonus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

[QUOTE=CQ;57261028Does using then as a stud calm them down in any way........cause he is more than a little hyper, only a young dog, just over a year, cause if so, it would be a huge bonus!![/QUOTE]

No, if anything it would prob make them worse, as they know then about bitches and mating and if they get a sniff of a bitch anywhere it could send them mad.

Have you had your dog health tested for all the relevant health checks for the breed? If not i would think twice about using him for stud until you do.
    Have you shown him at all? How do you know hes a good specimen of the breed if you havent, you would really need an expert judge or breeder to tell you that, just because he looks nice doesnt mean he is a good specimen.

I also think he is far too young to use for stud, hes still only a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Does spaying work 100% of the time?

I have been told by people who have shown their dogs, are are familar with the breed that he is a very good example of the breed.He has been to a few local shows, but again, i'm not an expert dog owner, so any information regarding showing him would be appreciated, he has been to basic obedience classes, but still can have a mind of his own.Has been well enough behaved at the few shows we went to, also got few rosettes!!, but they were only little local shows.
    As for studing, its advice i'm after, if he is too young then i'm happy enough & of course i would have all the necessary checks in place before i would consider as i wouldn't want to pass on any inherited diseases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

if your showing him and he's doing well at the shows people will come to you for a service.

Myabe thats what i'll concentrate on, getting up trained better for shows,its only been little local shows he has been to,so none of his breed there.Not sure what sort of training he would need to go to a big show, or would it be a complete embarrassment!!Can you tell me the basic he would need to show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

not really. they just stand there and look pretty afaik. if your not showing him seriously or working him you probably wont get many who'll want him to cover their bitches. more often then not breeders will want either a show winner or good worker as a stud, not much of a market for pet gordons.

• Advertisement

Thats great, thanks, maybe i'll bring him to some bigger shows, see how he goes, i'm sure he can stand & look pretty for a bit!! If not, then nothing lost. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

CQ i was replying to the inital posters thread, im not sure how old your dog is.
    In regards to showing, your dog has to be IKC registered first, then you need to enter the relevent shows. At the shows you need to stand your dog in the way that breed requires as every breed is different, the judge will go over the dog checking the bite and so on, then the judge will ask you to move in a triangle and then up and down and then they grade you according to what they think your dog deserves, in order to become a champion they need to be graded excellent to go forward to get green stars.

Each age class winner that is graded excellent goes into the line up to be awarded the green star.
    You then need 7 green stars from 7 different judges to become a champion.
    Its only really when your dog becomes a champion that people will come asking to use him for stud within the showing community.

Thank you for the information, My dog is IKC reg, will have a bit of home work to do then, i know at his first wee show he stood with his tail between his legs,didn't make a great impression!! I have a few books, so will read up a bit more as to their proper stance.He just turned one yr in Aug, so still young, and can be a bit bold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

andreac wrote: »
    CQ i was replying to the inital posters thread, im not sure how old your dog is.
    quote]

She is one and a half but I won't be breeding her until she is about three.
    QC,I would be interested in hiring your stud when the time comes.Will you pm me with any contact info.I'd wait until your dog is 2 and a half to breed him because many diseases don't show up in dogs until they are about two.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Keep an eye out for Ringcraft classes in your area as well.
    And find a mentor. They can be a great help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Glowing wrote: »
    The worst thing you can do is think that an average litter is 4 pups * 500 euro (or whatever) = 2,000 profit!

WRONG! ;)
    Sorry,but I phrased my question badly.I meant was there a market out there to buy the pups and cover the costs as the gordon isn't the most popular dog in the country.

I haven't heard of any ringcraft classes in my area......I live in Donegal, so if anyones knows of any, even willing to travel as to Tyrone or Derry, as i'm not too far from the border

Nice to see people taking a responsible approach to breeding ..... makes a refreshing change :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

agree with Glowing :)

it's good that you guys want to make sure you're dogs are geat examples of the breed & genetically sound before breeding. And at least Gordons aren't overbred like a lot of other more "common" breeds.

as for you're question about calming him down as he is hyper, Gordons are a gundog breed so need *a lot* of exersize, at LEAST an hour a day. Neutering would definetly help as well but that's probably not an option for you if you intend on showing him.

He is quite well excerised, about 30mins free running through the forest in the morning, then over an hour, both on lead & off lead in the evening, and sometimes play time with next doors westie & the kids on the green!
    I was well warned when i got him that he would need plenty of excerise, so it gets me out as well, no more cosy nights by the telly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

GA361 wrote: »
    Sorry,but I phrased my question badly.I meant was there a market out there to buy the pups and cover the costs as the gordon isn't the most popular dog in the country.

iyts hard to come by working gordon setters. if you have worked them of have work in their lines you prob wont have a problom selling them.

I think you should post up a pic, and we'll tell you if you should breed him or not! :D

I think i have some pictures attached............see what you think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

he is stunning CQ!!

He's a big boy eh? Gorgeous though .....!

Thank you!!!Yeah he is a handsome lad, and i think fully grown at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

He's beautiful, they are stunning dogs, you never really see them around though! he sounds like he gets plenty of exersize anyway! I know of one that lives around my area though but unfortunatly his idiot owner never takes him out or trained him so he and their gsd are aggressive now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Can I please add my tuppence worth without meaning to be patronising. Breeding dogs solely for the way they look got us where we are today in relation to *modern breeds*. If you plan to breed your dog then please do genetic research on his ancestors, identify and exclude the same in the potential mates of your dog. Health screening is vital. Gordon Setters are becomin quite *rare* and the genpool is small.

Have a look here: http://tartangsc.org/health-chf.html

Thanks Egar, that made very interesting reading,do you know of any place in Ireland that does the genetic screening, i have been in contact with the breeders of my dog in order to find out more info on his parentage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

CQ wrote: »
    i have been in contact with the breeders of my dog in order to find out more info on his parentage
    Thats great. You can also get a 5 generation cert from the KC, naming the parents, grandparents etc.

Then your research starts ;)

As for the screening, your vet should be able to run some of the tests and point you in the right direction for the other tests. Bear in mind that these tests can cost a lot so make sure whoever you do end up mating your dog with, also has these tests done. Not everyone does the tests.

Advertisement