Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - TV no longer compulsory?

Options
  • 12-01-2008 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Looks like they are finally allowing customers to have broadband only (without TV). The charge is apparently €6 extra for the privilege, from a quick look on their website, but sure that's nothing compared to around €21 a month for a non-used yet mandatory analogue TV service that I've been forking out.

Has anyone actually ordered from UPC recently, and been allowed to have just broadband alone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I'd imagine this would apply only to chorus area customers for the moment. NTL broadcasts all of the basic analogue channels unscrambled so if you were to have broadband only with them, they'd have no way of stopping you from being able to receive the analogue channels also, until they switch everything over to digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Nope it applies to NTL too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Kensington wrote: »
    NTL broadcasts all of the basic analogue channels unscrambled so if you were to have broadband only with them, they'd have no way of stopping you from being able to receive the analogue channels also, until they switch everything over to digital.

This is correct. Still, their website doesn't appear to mention that the new pricing structures are available only to ex-Chorus areas.

Further to your point above, Virgin Media in the UK do not charge for analogue TV, and offer it free as part of their broadband offerings, presumably for the very reasons you quoted above. It's about time UPC do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

yep it's true, I started a thread on this topic a long while back http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=317862&page=3 about being forced
    to pay for a tv service I did'nt want just to get BB, I was set upon by the resident pro ntl group who frequent this forum seeking to justfy ntl pricing policy:eek: I always knew that this
    could not last.
    I took delight in calling ntl this week canceling their Tv service & keeping my BB, a nice saving of 20euro per month ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

lensman wrote: »
    yep it's true, I started a thread on this topic a long while back http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=317862&page=3 about being forced
    to pay for a tv service I did'nt want just to get BB, I was set upon by the resident pro ntl group who frequent this forum seeking to justfy ntl pricing policy:eek: I always knew that this
    could not last.
    I took delight in calling ntl this week canceling their Tv service & keeping my BB, a nice saving of 20euro per month ;)

Are you still able to access the TV?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

this is true , i rang to cancel my ntl yesterday as i only use there broadband and not the tv ( i have sky multiroom) and they said i could get rid of the tv service and keep the broadband for a €6 fee.

so i have now gotten rid of the tv service and have broadband only with ntl now :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Are you still able to access the TV?:confused:
    yes, but then some folk here would say thats cheating no doubt,..:rolleyes:
    who needs it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The analogue service is limited. poor quality and pales beside Free Satellite. They'll ditch it and have more BW for Broadband and Digital.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Time to get out d'ol free to air SKY box :D

Time to get out d'ol free to air SKY box :D

How come?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

an aerial will get you the Irish Channels
    a sky box will get you BBC / UTV and other free to air channels
    a decoder card will get you channel 4

the rest of the channels on the basic package aren't worth €20 a month

you could setup a PVR in a mates house and record the new programming each week on Discovery
    actually you could probably just use one three hour VHS tape

an aerial will get you the Irish Channels
    a sky box will get you BBC / UTV and other free to air channels
    a decoder card will get you channel 4

the rest of the channels on the basic package aren't worth €20 a month

you could setup a PVR in a mates house and record the new programming each week on Discovery
    actually you could probably just use one three hour VHS tape

Right you are, but how's any of this relevant to a thread about UPC's new pricing / broadband only offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

benifa wrote: »
    Right you are, but how's any of this relevant to a thread about UPC's new pricing / broadband only offering?

It's a rationale in support of taking the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

But can you still watch analouge tv after you stop paying for it? Im a little confussed here? I just have ntl for BB and the analouge channels so when i record 1 off satellite i can watch on analouge? So if i cancel my basic TV i can still recieve the basic channels?

Onikage wrote:
    It's a rationale in support of taking the offer.

No it's not, we're discussing UPC broadband and analogue TV here. Irish channels, BBC, UTV, Channel 4 are included. There is no need for a satellite setup of any kind, nor a TV aerial.

snaps wrote:
    But can you still watch analouge tv after you stop paying for it? Im a little confussed here? I just have ntl for BB and the analouge channels so when i record 1 off satellite i can watch on analouge? So if i cancel my basic TV i can still recieve the basic channels?

Correct. As long as you have NTL broadband, the analogue and digital TV signals are always present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

For anyone under a 12 month contract, they have increased their prices
    on Jan 1st 2008.

So Basically you can get out of your TV contract without penalty according
    to the following in the terms and conditions:
    (i) if we increase our Charges you may give us one month’s notice to cancel those
    Services in respect of which the Charges have increased irrespective of whether the
    minimum period in respect of those Services has expired. During that notice period those
    increased Charges will not apply to you

Shiny wrote: »
    For anyone under a 12 month contract, they have increased their prices
    on Jan 1st 2008.

So Basically you can get out of your TV contract without penalty according
    to the following in the terms and conditions:

Nice find, I'll be doing that. :)

No it's not, we're discussing UPC broadband and analogue TV here. Irish channels, BBC, UTV, Channel 4 are included. There is no need for a satellite setup of any kind, nor a TV aerial.

NTL subscribers can now choose to drop the tv package, keep the broadband package and use satellite as an alternative to receive many of the channels they were previously paying for, free.

This is a better plan than canceling the tv service and continuing to use it, which is theft.

If satellite didn't exist there would be less reason to avail of the offer, because there would be no other way to get more than the basic terrestrial channels.

Onikage wrote: »
    NTL subscribers can now choose to drop the tv package, keep the broadband package and use satellite as an alternative to receive many of the channels they were previously paying for, free.

This is a better plan than canceling the tv service and continuing to use it, which is theft.

If satellite didn't exist there would be less reason to avail of the offer, because there would be no other way to get more than the basic terrestrial channels.

You are missing the point of this thread entirely. We are not discussing satellite TV here at all.

MOD: Since the original question has been answered and this thread is now going off topic, please close it.

You are missing the point of this thread entirely. We are not discussing satellite TV here at all.

MOD: Since the original question has been answered and this thread is now going off topic, please close it.

?

I'm sorry you feel that this thread is for your amusement alone. Other members and indeed the public are likely to find this information relevant too, why not show some consideration to them?

• Advertisement

Onikage wrote: »
    ?

I'm sorry you feel that this thread is for your amusement alone. Other members and indeed the public are likely to find this information relevant too, why not show some consideration to them?

For my amusement alone? What gave you that idea? The thread title is "UPC - TV no longer compulsory?". A question was asked, it has been discussed and it has been answered. I'm not saying that you haven't given accurate information, but the thread is going off-topic which is against Boards rules.

What? We are all here to help people, Why should we pay for something that is available free? I have ntl BB and basic analogue. I very rarely watch the basic channels as i watch BBC/ITV etc on satellite. Fantastic quality and of course free. If i wanted to watch BBC 3 on cable i would have to pay the €23 a month basic and then is it another €11 for the cheapest digital package (I may be wrong with this price). I watch on a FTA box or sky box for free!

Its common sense. I hope a lot of people are reading this and cancel their tv package to UPC/Ntl, As to be honest its a bit of a rip off for the channels they provide in their cheapest digital line up.

P.s This thread has already been moved from the cable section so really its hard to say what topic this thread is actually in.

snaps wrote: »
    What? We are all here to help people, Why should we pay for something that is available free? I have ntl BB and basic analogue. I very rarely watch the basic channels as i watch BBC/ITV etc on satellite. Fantastic quality and of course free. If i wanted to watch BBC 3 on cable i would have to pay the €23 a month basic and then is it another €11 for the cheapest digital package (I may be wrong with this price). I watch on a FTA box or sky box for free!

Its common sense. I hope a lot of people are reading this and cancel their tv package to UPC/Ntl, As to be honest its a bit of a rip off for the channels they provide in their cheapest digital line up.

Agreed.
    P.s This thread has already been moved from the cable section so really its hard to say what topic this thread is actually in.

I actually hadn't noticed until you said! Would have been nice if whoever moved it left a courtesy post. :rolleyes:

Fair play mate for agreeing!

Have a good weekend mate.

Been thinking about this since yesterday. I may well ring UPC & cancel my basic TV. I have sky boxes all connected up. I just need to get cards for them and perhaps subscribe to a basic package. Ill have to do some research on how much sky will be for the channels ill possibly watch. (At the moment i have 2 FTV cards in them)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This thread is in the Broadband forum and no longer subject to Cable TV moderation.

So does it need to be moved back or do i start another thread?

Confused?

Been on hold for over 40mins trying to cancel my TV from UPC! Tried the 1908 number wouldnt work so had to dial a 01 (Dublin number). This is shocking.

..Tried the 1908 number wouldnt work so had to dial a 01 (Dublin number). This is shocking.

Does 1800 234234 still work?

• Advertisement

I gave up! Reckon they put people on an everlasting "hold" when they want to cancel a subscription. Sent them an email, interesting to see what happens!

Advertisement