Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Thomas - Taking the p...!

Options
  • 12-01-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Was in Brown Thomas today and saw this bathroom cabinet on sale in the linen department "ex-display"

DSC00286.jpg

I actually bought the exact same cabinet in Habitat 2 years ago and it's quite nice - solid wood and everything. Was in Habitat as well and sure enough it's on sale there too today....

DSC00291.jpg

So what? Look closer....Here's the price tag in Habitat

DSC00292.jpg

And here's the price tag in Brown Thomas - notice the "was" price

DSC00287.jpg

Now, I know Brown Thomas has nice bags and wraps stuff up nice....but EUR600 difference? They are the exact same item - I know as I own one. I'm sure BT bought it from Habitat a while ago to display towels and now have decided to flog it....Can't get over the bloody nerve of the "was EUR1495"! Its a flatpack argos job! I'm sending a mail off to them now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

brown thomas one is different, its higher:D;)
    but yes its brown thomas, what do you expect??
    to get it cheap??
    they probably use evian in the jacks in there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Thats pretty bad alright
    Its the price you pay for pretentiousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

Did you ever notice that most people say 'I'm going shopping'

But extremely pretentious people say 'Im going to BTs'

Anyone who goes to BTs deserves 100% to get f*cked up the arse on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

MrVostro wrote: »
    Did you ever notice that most people say 'I'm going shopping'

But extremely pretentious people say 'Im going to BTs'

Anyone who goes to BTs deserves 100% to get f*cked up the arse on price.
    not just on price as far as i'm concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I'm sure if you get a reply from BT they'll claim their one is totally different as it was made from wood sourced from magical fairy trees and blessed by pixes and has hidden smug spores on it that slowly let a soft air of smugness to build up in your room.

• Advertisement

Did you ever wonder how the owner of Brown Thomas became the richest person in Ireland? Its not for her bargain prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

i cant understand why anybody has a problem with this .
    some people have more money than sense and BT are cashing in , good business , if i could sell it for 3k i would

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

green123 wrote: »
    i cant understand why anybody has a problem with this .
    some people have more money than sense and BT are cashing in , good business , if i could sell it for 3k i would

Exactly! Do you think people who shop in BT's are actually concerned about the price?! If they were...well they'd be shopping in Habitat obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Some people do actually enjoy spending that kind of money on a cabinet and completely ignoring the fact that they can be bought much cheaper else where. They enjoy the experience of giving BT thier money. Me, on the other hand, think they are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

God, Brown Thomas are absolute C*NTS.

OP - maybe report this to Habitat?

• Advertisement

Should foward pics to BT aswell. See what they got to say.
    Just noticed the 'was €1495' on the BT label there. What assholes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They can price there items what ever they want, if you think its too expensive then don't buy it.

I'm selling a 1tr milk for 20e, anyone want it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Yeah - I mailed BT last night about it same time as posting here...I pointed out the "significant pricing error" - let's see what they say....If I don't get an answer I'll mail Habitat.

I guess it's caveat emptor - but this (if they're doing it knowingly) is equivalent to an electrician charging an old lady EUR1500 for putting in a new socket, just because she doesn't know what the right price should be.

Anyone who knows anything about furniture would know it isn't worth that much - the wood isn't even finished/oiled/varnished for goodness sake. I had to apply oil when I bought it in Habitat

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If BT wanted to charge 10000 euro for it, thats their business.

As long as it was, legitimately, on sale at that price, its the people who shop there to be browned off with, not the shop itself.

SDooM wrote: »

As long as it was, legitimately, on sale at that price, its the people who shop there to be browned off with, not the shop itself.

In theory they can, but a company like that should have a certain amount of morals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Cabaal wrote: »
    They can price there items what ever they want, if you think its too expensive then don't buy it.
    SDooM wrote: »

They're perfectly entitled to, just as the OP is perfectly entitled to highlight it on a message board, so people are aware of it.

I'm glad the OP did, and I'd like threads like this a lot more if people such as yourself didn't thread spoil with blatantly obvious statements that add nothing to the discussion.

People are entitled to complain, and Ireland'd be a hell of a lot better if more people did.

Well done OP!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Surely BT would have to show that they had this item for sale at €1,495 then €995 in their shop?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Surely BT would have to show that they had this item for sale at €1,495 then €995 in their shop?

That would be an interesting way of p***ing them off.

A little bit like they way Al Capone was ultimately done for Tax and not loads of murders (or so the story goes..)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please take it easy on the slagging of BT.

It's a free market and people can choose to spend their money where they want. Similarly, BT can charge what they like for the goods that they sell.

Why should we go easy on them? NOTHING illegal or libellous has been said in this thread. Those two piece of furniture are identical. The OP even owns one.

It's just another example of BT ripping people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

For everybody complaining about Brown Thomas: when was the last time you shopped there? Yous are saying that the shop is a rip off, leading one to believe that you don't shop there. If you don't shop there, why should you care what price their items are? It's not affecting you in any way.
    :\

Fair play to Brown Thomas. If I could charge 10 times the price for an item, I would too. End of the day, they're in it for the profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

:):):) Thanks for the thread OP. :):):)

I <3 the Emperor's Clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

eth0_ wrote: »
    Why should we go easy on them? NOTHING illegal or libellous has been said in this thread.
    People have used swear words in relation to BT. That's enough for me to ask people to calm down.
    Those two piece of furniture are identical. The OP even owns one.

We don't know that they are the one and same. They look similar, that's all we can say for certain.

Personally, I do think that the price is a bit ridiculous, but I'm not going to buy it and therefore it doesn't bother me.

dudara wrote: »
    People have used swear words in relation to BT. That's enough for me to ask people to calm down.

And I stand by the language I used. BT are not only ridiculously overpriced, they sell animal fur too. Total *(&£$'s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

And I stand by the language I used. BT are not only ridiculously overpriced, they sell animal fur too. Total *(&£$'s.

Really? Well I believe a few stores will be trimmed soon then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I believe the law is that they have to have the item on sale for at least 30 days at the original price before they can claim that the item is on sale at the new price.

If the item is the exact same item then I think that maybe someone just made a mistake and put the wrong price tag on it or typed in the wrong code when printing the label.

Either way it doesn't matter. If you have that kind of money to spend on a bathroom cabinet then you obviously don't care about price anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

axer wrote: »
    If the item is the exact same item then I think that maybe someone just made a mistake and put the wrong price tag on it or typed in the wrong code when printing the label.

Just to confirm that it is the exact same piece of furniture. I own one. Obviously someone in BT was looking for a nice way to display towels and bought the unit in Habitat. I had noticed it on the BT shop floor before maybe 18 months ago.

I agree that it is most probably a pricing error due to the fact that they probably don't have a record of how much it cost in the first place (prob bought from petty cash?).

In my mail to BT I pointed this out as an "obvious error". Lets see if they respond....nothing yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

Anyone who bought this unit from BT only done so for the fact of saying 'look what I bouch (sic) from BT, it ONLY cost 1k+'.

I've seen a lot nicer for the prices in both Habitat and BT.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

BT are not breaking an law. If I want to sell cartons of milk for €20 I can try. If my price is balls no-one will buy. Its down to what the market will bear and the customer will pay.

But I agree that if you go to BT you are expecting a 'prestige' product, not something originally from habitat marked up x10. And they might just get someone stupid enough to pay for it.

This is only one example of people buying the perceived value of a product rather than the actual value. Same goes for branded sportswear, high fashion, and handbags. I mean if you pay 3k for a leather bag are you really getting value?

Just a thought though. Are you sure that tag belongs on that item and not say, a bath suite or bed next to it or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Cabaal wrote: »

I'm selling a 1tr milk for 20e, anyone want it :)

I'll have a piece of that action, PM sent

Advertisement