Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Restaurant!

Options
  • 12-01-2008 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Just wondering can anyone recommend a really nice restaurant in galway (city or county) for a special occasion! thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

White Gables in Moycullen.

But not sure if they're open yet. Usually open on Valentine's I think. Owners live in Spain during winter. Or so I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Vina Mara on Middle Street is quality albeit expensive.

My fav is Thai Garden on Spanish Arch but you'd really want to want spicy grub.

Other than that, Cookes on Abbeygate St is consistantly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I love O'Gradys on the pier in Barna, great seafood, lovely views. Haven't had a meal there that wasn't fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Oscars on Dominick St is very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

mc swiggans
    that is all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

mc swiggans
    that is all

Not exactly suitable for a special occasion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

kraggy wrote: »
    White Gables in Moycullen.

But not sure if they're open yet. Usually open on Valentine's I think. Owners live in Spain during winter. Or so I believe.

+1 But be prepared to pay a lot. I paid almost 30eur for a small fillet steak. I was treated a little too much like a baby tbh, almost trying to wipe your lip after every bite. Almost had to tell the waitress (granted she was the owner) to fup off tbh.
    Make sure you ask for MORE side orders. I ordered chips for 2 people... It wouldn't have fed my small puppy dog. She (the waitress) used the oul charm 'Ah sure order more later' ... I was blunt and said 'Id prefer more now, thanks' with a smug smile
    ErnieBert wrote: »
    My fav is Thai Garden on Spanish Arch but you'd really want to want spicy grub.

Yum but casual. Great place for a 'fancy' chineese tbh... Can get a bottle of wine etc.
    cornbb wrote: »
    Oscars on Dominick St is very nice indeed.

Yum. If this guy is still making food like he used to then YES YES YES! Publicity may have gone to the owners head but he used to make a savage meal... hope its still the same way as good food is how this place got its good reputation
    mc swiggans
    that is all

Grand if yer goin for some casual pub grub

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

Oscars
    Vina Mara
    White Gables
    Quay St Winebar
    Cooke's
    Abalone

in no particular order food wise but reckon gables or oscars have the most ambiance...

enjoy your night. Such a nice thing to do and beats most nights in the pub if in good company. Still rubbing my belly after tonights (or last nights at this stage) feast... Mmmm Banoffi...........

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Whats the occasion if you dont mind? Some places are in fairness suited best for others.

I think O Grady's on the pier is damn fine and if you're brining your better half who's not been there before, it'll go down a treat. Its pricey but worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

How about Da Robertas in Salthill the old restaurant? Ive been there so many times, quality food, quality setting, never had a bad meal. Also Eastern Tandoori in Spanish arch area. Both restaurants ive been going to for years and never been disappointed!

• Advertisement

Park House is nice but on the expensive side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

What's the occasion? Cos I think where you choose would depend a lot on that really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CareBear99

Thanks everyone! The occasion is a birthday, but a special one!:) i was considering the white gables already but id like to try somewhere new! Where is oscars? And what kind of food do they serve?! thanks again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

CareBear99 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! The occasion is a birthday, but a special one!:) i was considering the white gables already but id like to try somewhere new! Where is oscars? And what kind of food do they serve?! thanks again! :D

On Domnick street, next to Clan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I'd go with O' Gradys so, very special place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'd suggest White Gables if it's a special, special occasion:) Vina Mara is nice but it's a tight squeeze in there I think, food is nice, but not spacious..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Malt House
    or
    Kirwans Lane

In both places the food and service is excellent

I had the best meal I've ever had in this country (topped only by one place in France) in the Malt House, and I eat out a fair bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

mc swiggans
    that is all

Seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

mc swiggans
    that is all

Yeah, if you want chicken maryland or roast beef. Food is fresh and tasty at Mc Swiggs but if you want get the birthday girl/boy in her/his birthday suit, then look at the other options listed above. ;)

O'Grady's also do a mighty steak.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 twenty6and6is1

i was in abalone last night, i had not got food this good ever in galway,
    it is located on dominick st, it's well worth a visit;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Abalone really is top notch. And I agree with people above about the White Gables; consistent quality and nice surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

For top notch food. Id second already mentioned Oscar's and Abalone. Personally, i think McSwiggans has gone down hill in the last couple of years. Its still nice food but nothing compared to what it was a few years ago.

Edit: forgot to add, I heard so much good things about Kirwans Lane and went there during last race week for a birthday. Manager was a joke and the service was terrible. I know it was race week and all that, which is why maybe the slow service could be excused a little. The manager was arrogant and completely ignorant. He accused 4 of the people who were dining with me of not being customers of the restaurant and to leave the smoking area and the premises. The only reason they were out there in the first place was because of the slow service. Thats only one incidennt from the fiasco!.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Charcoal Grill
    finest dining in the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Donellys of Barna great food and a great pub all in one, what more could you ask for on a birthday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Nimos in the Spanish Arch do lovely food and is very romantic if that's what you're after

The Old Schoolhouse in Clarinbridge also do superb food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Vina mara is closed until further notice due to a family bereavement.

I ate in Mcswiggans two nights in the last two weeks, and on both occasions it was CAT..... I only ate it coz I was bloody starving, and even given how hungry i was, It was still rotten...

Its REALLY disimproved recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

McSwiggans ain't that great. Had the chicken and veg there recently, everything was doused in oil and the veg was hard.

Recently ate in Thai Garden as well and was disappointed, I found the food quite bland to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I had forgotten about the Schoolhouse; I haven't eaten there, but have heard great things about it. Is Morans on the Weir still good?

As for Thai Garden, I find it decent. Not impressed by the renamed Lemongrass, though.

Advertisement