Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anti Gatso Licence Plate Spray

Options
  • 12-01-2008 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Just wondering but this stuff actually work ?

You put a coat on your front and back Licence plate. The flash from the Gatso lights up the the paint and makes the licence plate unreadable in the photo.

Considering the raft of Gatso that will be coming in on our safest road, it mightn't be a bad investment.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Great idea. it's illegal however.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It makes it harder for them to read the photo but not impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Great idea. it's illegal however.

You sure ? Not illegal in UK anyways.

Stark wrote: »
    It makes it harder for them to read the photo but not impossible.

I've read that on UK boards. One person had half his licence plate blocked out yet they still tried to prosecute him. Had his fine overturned in court though.

If you get done for speeding on a Gatso in Ireland, do they send out a picture of your car taken by the Gatso as proof of speeding ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We discuss this about once a year. Here is one of the more recent ones

It's the same as covering your plate with mud. The fixed camera can't read your plate, but it is of course illegal

If I were a traffic Garda and I had a pic of a car with a "sprayed out" plate, I'd make it my personal business to find the perpetrator ;)

unkel wrote: »
    We discuss this about once a year. Here is one of the more recent ones

It's the same as covering your plate with mud. The fixed camera can't read your plate, but it is of course illegal

If I were a traffic Garda and I had a pic of a car with a "sprayed out" plate, I'd make it my personal business to find the perpetrator ;)

A lot harder to tell if the licence plate is blocked out considering it looks the same under normal day light.

Wouldn't work with SPECS though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

waste of money.

every camera van will get you and spray will not help you

Ratchet wrote: »
    waste of money.

every camera van will get you and spray will not help you

I only ever speed on Motorways and Dual Carriageways.

Surely they are not planning on parking the vans on either of those.

How come the spray doesn't affect Gatso vans ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Niall1234 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

I've seen vans on the N3, M7, N11, M1, N1, N2 and M50.

spray-on, anti-gatso film is in the realm of idiots.

I've seen vans on the N3, M7, N11, M1, N1, N2 and M50.

spray-on, anti-gatso film is in the realm of idiots.

Where are they parking on the motorways ? You can't stop permanently in the breakdown lane ? Quite dangerous if that's what their up to.

• Advertisement

Where are they parking on the motorways ? You can't stop permanently in the breakdown lane ? Quite dangerous if that's what their up to.

quite dangerous?

speeding and actively trying to evade police detection isn't?

there are plenty of safe spots on motorways and dual carraigeways for vans or squad cars to pull in without disrupting the flow of traffice or blocking the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

there are plenty of safe spots on motorways and dual carraigeways for vans or squad cars to pull in without disrupting the flow of traffice or blocking the hard shoulder.

Seen the one on the N2 frequently blocking the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Most motorways have laybys for Gardaí to park in. They do sometimes stop in the hard shoulder (you see this regularly on the N3). I've also seen a Gatso van parked in the grass verge along the N3 before. Slightly off the topic of Gatso vans, you often see the Gardaí setting up mounted cameras on bridges over the motorway and photographing people that way.

quite dangerous?

speeding and actively trying to evade police detection isn't?

You think a person doing 140 kph on a motorway (which by the way is designed to a 160 kph standard) is dangerous ?

You think a person doing 20 kph over the speed limit on a motorway is more dangerous that a 2 tonne stationary object in the breakdown lane ?

Are you kidding ?

i just said that you can position vehicles with cameras on a motorway or dual-carraigeway without blocking the hard shoulder (what is a breakdown lane?)

i am not "kidding", i am trying to point out the obvious to the oblivious.

You think a person doing 140 kph on a motorway (which by the way is designed to a 160 kph standard) is dangerous ?

why do you keep editing your original post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

"If I were a traffic Garda and I had a pic of a car with a "sprayed out" plate, I'd make it my personal business to find the perpetrator"

No you wouldn't, you'd shoot fish in a barrel like the rest of your buddies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Niall1234 (and all others who share your sentiments); what makes you think that you are any more important than the rest of us by taking measures to be able to break the speed limit and not have to take the slap on the wrist.

Now don't get me wrong, I have a few points for moderate motorway speeding myself, although I've learned my lesson and no longer break the limit. I don't have a problem with you doing 20 or 30km/h over the limit on a motorway. The honest thing to do is to stop speeding or keep speeding and take the punishment, like the rest of us if you get caught. You just can't have it both ways. "Big Brother" doesn't always feel fair but neither does the fact that some people think they can pull a fast one on the cops while us "ordinary decent speeders" (don't deny it folks, we all do it!) have to take the points and the fine when caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Considering the raft of Gatso that will be coming in

Says who? There are plans to bring in privately funded fixed speed cameras but I don't recall ever reading anything confirming what type they will be.

The Film and Flash Gatsos are old technology now and in comparison to digital based systems cost a fortune to run.

There are only a hsndful of those cameras at the moment, you are far more likely to get done by a Garda patrol for having illegal plates than you are to avoid a fine from having them.

Also... I saw on a fly-on-the-wall UK traffic cops show that most or maybe all of those sprays do give a different sheen to reg plates that can be picked out by a trained eye... so if you do get stopped by a cop you may have some explaining to do. They are sometimes marketed as anti-paparazzi devices... but I don't think the cop would swallow that excuse... unless maybe you're Bono! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

yeah and its very hard to remember where camras are with 1000s miles of our motorways and 100s 100s cameras in ireland .:rolleyes:

Garda speed patrol will get you on motorway don't mind the cameras which in many cases don't work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Rory123 wrote: »
    Also... I saw on a fly-on-the-wall UK traffic cops show that most or maybe all of those sprays do give a different sheen to reg plates that can be picked out by a trained eye... so if you do get stopped by a cop you may have some explaining to do. They are sometimes marketed as anti-paparazzi devices... but I don't think the cop would swallow that excuse... unless maybe you're Bono! ;)

There was a couple of them on road wars. The cars with the cameras that automatically read number plates as the cars go by. if it cant read the plate it beeps. The cops know that theres somethign up. Especially when they can read the plate by eye but when they look at the camera on the dash they cant read the plate.

Plus its definately illegal because they pulled people in and prosectued.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you ever driven the motorway network in this country? There are Garda laybys on all the newer sections specifically for the use of the camera vans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its obstructing a Garda in the course of his/her duties, which is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Stekelly wrote: »
    There was a couple of them on road wars. The cars with the cameras that automatically read number plates as the cars go by. if it cant read the plate it beeps. The cops know that theres somethign up. Especially when they can read the plate by eye but when they look at the camera on the dash they cant read the plate.

Plus its definately illegal because they pulled people in and prosectued.

It is illegal in the UK, the sale of te stuff might be legal, but using it to obscure your plate is illegal.

You put a coat on your front and back Licence plate.

Why do you need it on the front?!... Are you the guy I often see reversing at speed on the M50? :D:D:D

Advertisement