Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 Alarm problem

Options
  • 12-01-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

I picked up my brand spanking new S40 on Friday afternoon and all was going good until about an hour ago.

The alarm starting going off on the car as it was parked on my driveway for no reason.

I went out to turn it off and the buttons on the key didn't shut it off or allow the doors to unlock...so I had to slide out the key bit and manually open the drivers door.

Once i got the main key bit into the ignition and turned it on, the alarm stopped and a message appeared on the dash saying "alarm system fault".

Now the main key fob bit wont work at all to lock/unlock the doors or boot and I can only get into the car by sliding out the key bit.

Also, the red light on the dash that shows the alarm is armed is not flashing.

Any ideas what the hell happened and how I might fix it?

I've gone through the manual and did a google search, but can't find any fixes.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Send it back to the dealer, it's under warranty as it is a new car and demand a courtesy car off them and tell 'em to fix it and if they can't demand a new one of identical spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

E92 wrote: »
    Send it back to the dealer

That's the place to start - see what happens next and take it from there - it could be a simple fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Don't worry, I'll be on the phone to them first thing Monday morning. Just wondering if anyone has a quick-fix...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

By any chance have you left a window open even a tiny bit??Did you try the spare???Are all the doors and boot shut properly.

Its either that or one of the sensors in the alarm is faulty-usually one called the "mass movement sensor"-very common problem with the s40 even in brand new ones.
    We change 5 or 6 a week in our place.Might be something here that helps:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/S40MY2005-Electrical.pdf

Get it back to the dealer asap.A brand spanking new car shouldnt give any problems whatsoever.Try get a free service or set of mats/mudflaps out of the dealer because "the alarm kept you up all weekend" ;);) or better still tell them youve lost confidence in the car after only 24 hours and want a new one.

I've double checked all the doors and windows and they were all def closed.

Both keys I got with the car wont work.

I hope this isn't the start of a lot of problems :-(

Thanks for the link Hellrazer, but i know shag all about the inner workings of cars.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »

A brand spanking new car shouldnt give any problems whatsoever.Try get a free service or set of mats/mudflaps out of the dealer because "the alarm kept you up all weekend" ;);) or better still tell them youve lost confidence in the car after only 24 hours and want a new one.

It's worth a shot - but remember that warranty is provided to cover repairs should something fail. If all cars (or other products for that matter) were expected to be perfect, then warranty wouldn't be necessary.

Running back to the dealer and making all sorts of ridiculous demands won't help. The car has a problem. Request that it is fixed ASAP and if necessary a replacement car provided for the duration of the repairs. Should the problem persist after the initial repair attempt, then maybe address the matter in a more assertive fashion.

The OP was able to temporarily sort the problem - it's not like he/she has been left stranded at the roadside. The alarm now appears to be offline and as a result shouldn't false alarm again. However, if the car is broken into while the alarm is offline then maybe things could escalate a wee bit......

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

crosstownk wrote: »
    It's worth a shot - but remember that warranty is provided to cover repairs should something fail. If all cars (or other products for that matter) were expected to be perfect, then warranty wouldn't be necessary.

Running back to the dealer and making all sorts of ridiculous demands won't help. The car has a problem. Request that it is fixed ASAP and if necessary a replacement car provided for the duration of the repairs. Should the problem persist after the initial repair attempt, then maybe address the matter in a more assertive fashion.

The OP was able to temporarily sort the problem - it's not like he/she has been left stranded at the roadside. The alarm now appears to be offline and as a result shouldn't false alarm again. However, if the car is broken into while the alarm is offline then maybe things could escalate a wee bit......

Im just making the point that a brand new car should not have any problems 24 hours after collection.
    Im at this game 15 years now and believe me Ive gotten people more freebies and on a few occasions a new vehicle for less than whats happened to mick_irl`s car.
    Once a customer mentions "lost confidence or lack of confidence in a vehicle" then any dealer worth buying from will jump to sort that customers problems out.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm kinda worried that this happened when the car was just parked and no one was at the car. Also, now that the alarm is disabled and the central locking ain't worried, I'm worried about the security of the car. Didn't spend my hard earned cash to have my car be a sitting duck!

I will be telling the rep I bought the car from that I am not impressed that I've run into a problem so soon after picking up the car, but won't be milking it. I'm just hoping that it's something that can be fixed quickly as the dealer is a good hour drive away (with traffic) and getting time off work can be hassle.

Im just making the point that a brand new car should not have any problems 24 hours after collection.

I understand the point you are making, but at what point does it become acceptable for a 'new' car to have problems? If the Volvo dealer carried out the PDI as per Volvo spec and all was well, then the fault is just one of those things and now needs to be repaired.
    Hellrazer wrote:
    Once a customer mentions "lost confidence or lack of confidence in a vehicle" then any dealer worth buying from will jump to sort that customers problems out.

In my experience of dealers the lack of confidence line is one that indicates 'this customer is trouble'. So if the customer's complaint/problem is sufficient to warrant 'lack of confidence' then it will be treated as such - dodgy brakes/steering or other safety issue would be an example. But in the OP's case it's an alarm problem and it is also one single problem and IMHO does not warrant reason for lack of confidence in the vehicle at this stage. As I said, if the problem persists then step things up - but at this stage I don't think there is anything to be gained by making demands. If anything, it will result in a deterioration of the customer/dealer relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Has the OP checked the service booklet? In the older S40s the service booklet had a section where the dealer would stamp it saying that the PDI was carried out. If there is no stamp there, this would add weight to the OP's case.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    Has the OP checked the service booklet? In the older S40s the service booklet had a section where the dealer would stamp it saying that the PDI was carried out. If there is no stamp there, this would add weight to the OP's case.

Let's not jump the gun. The OP doesn't have a case (yet). He just has a fault with his alarm - one that the dealer doesn't even know about yet (never mind an attempt at repairing it). Just because the service schedule doesn't have the PDI page stamped is no proof that it wasn't carried out. The dealer may have the PDI inspection form filed correctly and be easily able to demonstrate that the PDI was done as per Volvo spec. IF the book wasn't stamped it may have been a simple oversight. January is a hectic time in any main dealer - mistakes are inevitable.

OP - Contact the dealer and see what he says. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.

I checked all the doors, windows, bonnet and boot this morning and they were all fully closed.

Both keys still wont open the central locking and I can only open the drivers door with the pull out key bit (if that makes sense).

When i drive it, an error message keeps coming up on the "message centre". See attached pic! Alarm System Service Required.

I took a look through all the documentation in the glove box. The service bookelt doesn't appear to have any page for filling about a pre-delivery inspection...just for the actual services.

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow morning.

Was onto the rep I bought the car off first thing this morning. Told him the story and he said they were "aware" of this problem. He was due to talk to someone and buzz me back.

Still waiting for the call.

If he doesn't call you back within a few hours then call him again. Although if I was you, I'd be inclined to contact the service department directly and get the car booked in ASAP.

car is booked in for next week. so will be back to let you know what the problem was!

Why the wait??

Your car was 24 hours out of the showroom and it gave you what I would call a serious enough problem and now youve to put up with no alarm for a week.

Let us know what happens.

not their fault to be fair. between work and travel for work, next week is the earliest i can get to them.

Why the wait??

Your car was 24 hours out of the showroom and it gave you what I would call a serious enough problem and now youve to put up with no alarm for a week.

Hellrazer is right. They should be speedier in their response. At the very least they should take the car in while you wait and diagnose the fault. That way they'll know what parts to order, or at the very least have a direction in which to to take the diagnosis. If it is the mass movement sensor that Hellrazer mentioned earlier at least they'd know. There is a good chance they'll take it in next week and find that the sensor is the problem and then put it on order which will result in another workshop visit for your car.
    mick_irl wrote: »
    not their fault to be fair. between work and travel for work, next week is the earliest i can get to them.

If you can't make it until next week then that's well and good, but IMHO they should have offered you something sooner - especially as the car only rolled out of the garage a few days ago. Care to name the dealer......? (PM if you like, chances are I've dealt with them before).

Keep us posted.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Care to name the dealer......? (PM if you like, chances are I've dealt with them before).

Hope its not the one Im in :)

Hope its not the one Im in :)

The best Volvo dealer in Ireland, IMO, is Johnson & Perrott Volvo, Mahon Point. Those guys take every fault so seriously. I'd say you're safe if you a J&P mechanic ;)

• Advertisement

Duplicate post

Hi guys. The service guy on the phone said they are going to keep it in as long as needs be to get the problem sorted. They are arranging a courtesy car for me.

Not their fault about getting the car in like I said. Am back and forth to London a lot this week, for my sins.

Update on the fault...

The alarm seemed to reset itself on Monday. The warning light and message cleared and the buttons on the key started working again.

Then this morning, when I went out to the car, it was chirping! The same way that a smoke alarm in your house does when the battery is getting low.

Error message and warning light is back and the key buttons wont open the central locking.

Car ended up in the garage yesterday. The alarm threw a bit of a wobbler since my last post. Waiting to hear from them what the issue is.

Have the car back. It was a siren controller that was faulty...so that's been replaced and *fingers crossed* all should be sorted now!

Thanks for all your help and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

mick, how do you find the car. I'm looking at the s40 at the moment and was looking for your opinion.

Have to say, I really like it.

I was driving a BMW 316i es up to getting the S40. While the 316 was a great, solid car to drive, I found it quite boring. It didn't have that many extras compared to the S40.

I went with the SE Flexifuel model, which is the best value for money in my opinion.

It comes with a load of extras as standard (compared to the BMW). The seats are be far the most comfortable ones I've experienced in a car so far, and overall, the drive is good.

Plus the car looks good inside and out.

What cars are you deciding between at the moment?

im looking at the 1.8 flexifuel se lux now or the 2.0d se lux in july. Im looking at the se lux. Not sure which engine to go for though. the flexifuel will go up in july and at the moment represents great value for money. the 2.0d will come down in price.
    In terms of power do you think there is enough "go" in the regular 1.8 ?
    Also in terms of handling whats your opinion (it should be good given the focus and im told there is a sports suspension option)?
    My biggest concern is that i would be giving up some legroom in the back.

The 1.8 Flexifuel I have doesn't have as much "poke" in it as the 1.8 BMW I had previously, but the difference ain't huge.

I had a diesel courtesy car from the garage for a few days. Think it was a 1.8, but not 100%, and it did have more "go" than the flexifuel.

The handling is good overall.

Can you answer something for me please ? The test car i was given appeared to be 'dead' if you want to call it that , perhaps not from the engine but from the fact that there is a really long play on the accelerator pedal. i suppose what im trying to put into words is that in my seat leon (07 ... same chassis, running gear engine asthe 1.6 golf) at full depression of the accelerator pedal would only be around 3/4 of the way to the floor on the volvo!
    I was afraid that on long motorway journeys it might make it tiring if i dont want to use the cruise control.

• Advertisement

I thought that at first too.

The majority of vehicles I've driven in the past had the accelerator pedal hinged off the floor, so my heel could rest on the floor and tilt it to apply pressure.

On the S40, the accelerator is the same as the brake pedal, in that it comes down from the top, so I have to push my foot down on it.

It takes a little getting used to, but I wouldn't describe it as dead.

Advertisement