Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handwashing clothes

• 12-01-2008 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Everything I buy lately all seems to be labelled handwash.
    Obviously some things are extremely delicate but even the plain cotton things say handwash.
    Do you think the manufacturers are just trying to cover themselves or do these things really need to be handwashed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Really depends on what it is and how delicate it is. If you do want to wash them in a machine invest in a washing machine bag (or even put it in a pillow case and tie a knot in the end) to stop it getting caught up with anything else in the wash. If they're not that expensive give it a whirl and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'd say they're covering themselves but I agree with daiixi throw it in a washing bag thing and put it on a delicate wash in your machine. I try avoid handwashing altho I shrunk a dry cleaning only skirt recently :o it wasnt expensive, I'm not paying for it to be dry cleaned!! I can still wear it tho, I'll be more careful when washing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

Those washing nets are in Aldi from time to time.

They're a god send! I have loads of hand wash clothes too and I always bung em in those nets and set the washing machine to the delicate cycle.

I've never had any problems and to be perfectly honest I haven't the time or the inclination to be hand washing half my wardrobe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

I've come across that recently too Pythia. Bought a dress in Zara recently, fairly standard etc and it says handwash! I always take a chance though and throw stuff like that in the washing machine, have no patience for handwashing things, takes too much effort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Our washing machine has a 'handwash' setting, and I've used it with no disasters..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think they're definitely just covering themselves - life's too short for handwashing clothes. My washing machine has a lightning wash - 30 degress and takes 30 minutes- and I wash all our 'handwash only' clothes on this with no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

argh the shortest wash on our machine is 2 hours!!! We've got no 'worn once' or 'handwash' settings, drives me mad, stupid machine :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

My mum's machine is like that.

She turns the temp down to 30 degrees and then manually skips the washing cycle along (ahh I'm not explaining this well. The dial on the front of the machine ticks along as the washing cycle progresses so she turns it forward a bit to shorten the wash)

Oh and she sticks the handwash stuff in those wash nets too

Advertisement