Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1380mini cooper V levin

Options
  • 12-01-2008 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

okay im ment to be studying for a exam on monday, but my mind wandered back to my car and the power from it.
    spec is a 1380 mini cooper
    i had it on the rollers and it puts out 96bhp@6150rpm.
    weight in kilos is 695 kgs.

now a toyota levin black top, factory is 165bhp and weight is 1600kgs(googled)

now can sombody find out if my sums are out here on bhp/ton i take a ton in imperial to be 1016.5kg

okay
    mini first
    695/96=

1hp to 7.2kg=

0.13hp to 1kg=

132bhp per ton(0.13x1016.5kg)

now for levin

1600kg/165=

1hp to 9.6kg=

0.104hp to 1kg=

105bhp/ton(0.104x1016.5kg)

:confused::confused:
    now im wondering does the 6spd in a levin , give it the advantage over 4spd in a mini???
    just wondering:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You sure the Levin weighs that much? A Civic Coupe weighs a tad under 1200Kg, giving a VTI (160PS) 133PS per tonne.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

JHMEG wrote: »
    You sure the Levin weighs that much? A Civic Coupe weighs a tad under 1200Kg.

as i said its googled and from a toyota owners page:confused:
    it doesnt sound right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Auris weighs 1220Kg, so there's no way a Levin weighs 1.7 tonnes.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Auris weighs 1220Kg, so there's no way a Levin weighs 1.7 tonnes.

so thats where the problem lies, what do you reckon they weigh??
    id say a bit more than a civic coupe maybe 1300kgs??

at 1300kgs it gives 129bhp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Wikipedia says E100 series Corolla weighed 1052 kg, and the E110 series weighed 1095 kg, now those weights are meant to be for the regular Corolla, not the (Corolla) Levin, but I would say a Levin weighs in somewhere around there.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    Wikipedia says E100 series Corolla weighed 1052 kg, and the E110 series weighed 1095 kg, now those weights are meant to be for the regular Corolla, not the (Corolla) Levin, but I would say a Levin weighs in somewhere around there.

at that weight itwould be around 155 bhp/ton , sounds more accurate, but i really doubt it weighs less than a civic coupe:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

okay im ment to be studying for a exam on monday, but my mind wandered back to my car and the power from it.

Its amazing the sh*t you think of when ur meant to be studying

i know and im fupped:D
    word of advice, social life, cars and engineering dont mix

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

96bhp from the 1380 thats a bit low, whats she runnin single Su or twins or a webber?

thats what i was thinking!
    its running twin 1.5 su carbs
    piper 286 cam
    stage 3 head
    1.5 rockers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Whatever about power to weight ratio, there is still nothing out there short of 4WD to touch a well sorted Mini in the handling department... Just don't stuff it...

96 bhp @6000 rpm sounds like an honest mildly tuned Mini.

But... if you go for the Mini, be prepared for regular maintenance & upkeep.

They're getting up to 200bhp from the 16V conversion Minis at this stage, serious money though...

There is a big community of seriously quick motorsport Minis out there.

Oilrig (1440 145bhp 800Kg Mini owner...)

Oilrig wrote: »
    Whatever about power to weight ratio, there is still nothing out there short of 4WD to touch a well sorted Mini in the handling department... Just don't stuff it...

96 bhp @6000 rpm sounds like an honest mildly tuned Mini.

But... if you go for the Mini, be prepared for regular maintenance & upkeep.

They're getting up to 200bhp from the 16V conversion Minis at this stage, serious money though...

There is a big community of seriously quick motorsport Minis out there.

Oilrig (1440 145bhp 800Kg Mini owner...)

its driven everyday, any more and you getting into problems with reliability, the gearbox was designed for 34bnp, ive almost 3 times that going through.
    i was just wondering as i was having a go at a levin the other day,:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

seeing as its engineering... I don't suppose that exam is on power to weight ratios?... if it is don't fret, you're sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

kona,

reliability and Minis are mutually exclusive... ;)

If its still on the std gearbox there may be problems if it is abused, if driven normally no great hassle.

Advertisement