Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Preserve Tyres

Options
  • 13-01-2008 12:07am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭

Hey All,
    Picked up a full set of Eagle F1's today and was wondering what peoples thoughts on them are? Also, what is the best way to ensure I get a good life out of them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

antodeco wrote: »
    Hey All,
    Picked up a full set of Eagle F1's today and was wondering what peoples thoughts on them are? Also, what is the best way to ensure I get a good life out of them.

Thanks

I don't know much about the Eagles.

But if you want to make your tyres last the best things to do are...

Drive easy - no hard acceleration or braking when it's not necessary. Don't pile into corners either.
    Ensure your tyre pressures are correct for the load you are carrying.
    Wheel alignment (tracking, camber, etc) - keep them in check as they lead to rapid wear if they are out of alignment. Keep an eye on how your tyres are wearing - any uneven wear and something is amiss.
    Suspension - dodgy suspensions can lead to excessive/uneven tyre wear - keeping your car regularly serviced will help keep a check on your suspension.

Mrs crosstownk's car still has the original tyres on the rear with almost 50k miles on them. She drives easy and I do the rest ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for that :)
    crosstownk wrote: »
    Drive easy - no hard acceleration or braking when it's not necessary. Don't pile into corners either.
    Generally motorway driving but about over the next 3 weeks will be doing alot of country road driving!
    Ensure your tyre pressures are correct for the load you are carrying.
    Generally I check the pressure every 2 weeks. Ill keep an extra eye on these, as they are a very soft compound so liable to drop pressure quickly
    Wheel alignment (tracking, camber, etc) - keep them in check as they lead to rapid wear if they are out of alignment. Keep an eye on how your tyres are wearing - any uneven wear and something is amiss.
    Got it all done today when getting the tyre done. In for a penny, in for a pound!
    Suspension - dodgy suspensions can lead to excessive/uneven tyre wear - keeping your car regularly serviced will help keep a check on your suspension.
    Ill be looking at upgrading the shocks and suspension soon enough, so Ill keep an eye on this over the next while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

Thanks for that :)

Generally motorway driving but about over the next 3 weeks will be doing alot of country road driving!

Generally I check the pressure every 2 weeks. Ill keep an extra eye on these, as they are a very soft compound so liable to drop pressure quickly

Got it all done today when getting the tyre done. In for a penny, in for a pound!

Ill be looking at upgrading the shocks and suspension soon enough, so Ill keep an eye on this over the next while!

by upgrading do you mean lowering and stiffening? this will be detrimental to tyre wear.

in general, larger wheels, lower profile tyres, harder suspension, faster speeds, more aggressive driving, rougher road surfaces, larger paylods and lots of other factors can contribute to shorter tyre life.

by upgrading do you mean lowering and stiffening? this will be detrimental to tyre wear.

Possibly. Depends on what sort of kit im looking at.
    in general, larger wheels, lower profile tyres, harder suspension, faster speeds, more aggressive driving, rougher road surfaces, larger paylods and lots of other factors can contribute to shorter tyre life.

That limits me to mainly the m1! :p They are 215/45/17 so the profile on them isint too low. I suppose I will just have to drive alot more careful, especially as I do more country driving..

That limits me to mainly the m1! :p They are 215/45/17 so the profile on them isint too low. I suppose I will just have to drive alot more careful, especially as I do more country driving..
    how much did the set of 4 cost you?

spending money on good tyres doesn't mean long-lasting tyres. they'll wear just as much as anything else. best to take the financial hit on the chin unless you fancy leaving the car at home to save on wear and tear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hey All,

Thanks

Great tyres, I'm on my second set, far better then the original bridgestones that came on my car.

The goodyears seem to be a a fairly soft compound but I'm not too bothered about that.

Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Soft compound means they wear quickly, but they're still be best tyre I've ever had so far. Excellent grip wet and dry.

My thoughts are that Id rather pay more for safety and shorter lasting tyres then going for poor grip that last longer.

Littlejukka, I got all 4 for €650. Thats including fitting, balancing and full alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I probably should have asked this earlier - but what sort of car are you fitting the tyres to?

Littlejukka, I got all 4 for €650. Thats including fitting, balancing and full alignment.

sounds reasonable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Rotation, rotation, rotation!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement