Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDR Newb

• 13-01-2008 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey,

I've notice quite a few boardsies talking about HDR.

Anyone willing to create a tutorial on this for us newbies or link to a good one online please?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think its been done in an old thread at least once before. Have you searched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭leohoju

If you're using Photoshop you could do worse that using this online tutorial to create those HDR files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭msdurden

Cool thanks a mill :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

1. HDR is easier to do badly than it is to do right.

2. The baby Jesus hates bad tone-mapping.

3. HDR works at it's best when you're dealing with an area with a lot of dynamic range; forests, indoors, etc.

4. Shoot raw; three exposures bracketed by two stops between them is a good way to get a decent base sample unless you're shooting straight into the sun. You can try a great number of exposures, but it doesn't yield any kind of advantage that I've seen.

5. Experiment. Some of my favourite HDR work has been shot inside ruins and old buildings.

6. Use Photoshop to compile your HDR compositions,and for the love of whatever gods that may be: Avoid Photomatix. It's tone-mapping function has really ruined HDR in the eyes of a lot of photographers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Fenster wrote: »
    It's tone-mapping function has really ruined HDR in the eyes of a lot of photographers.

Knowing nothing about HDR but based on what I've read on the 'net over the past few weeks I don't see this to be the case.

It isn't Photomatrix which is at fault but the power it gives you regarding tone-mapping. If person wants to whack the levels to the max to produce a cartoon effect well isn't it their decision to take?

Isn't it better to have a tool that allows you to do as you please rather than be limited to Photoshops HDR effects?

Advertisement