Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreachable landlord

Options
  • 13-01-2008 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

Long story short,

We rented an apartment in September through an agency, signed leases etc. Were told we would receive a copy of the lease in the post! Four months later, still no copy!! Rang the agency numerous times and we were told we need to contact the landlord as they only advertised the property, not managed it :confused:

Anyways, got the landlord's number. We had problems with the waterpump(fixed myself eventually) & we needed a copy of the agreement, tried to ring him approx 20 times over the past 3 months, no answer or returned call!!

Now, due to circumstances we need to move out! We have a clause in the contract which requires we give 28 days notice and have to forefeit our deposit if we move out early, that's fair enough, problem is we can't get in touch with him to give notice! Contacted the PRTB by email and i got a reply 3 weeks later requesting details of rented accomodation. Replied, but 3 weeks later still no word back! The agency have said they've done they're bit and i cannot give them the notice...

Anyone any idea's??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Long story short,

We rented an apartment in September through an agency, signed leases etc. Were told we would receive a copy of the lease in the post! Four months later, still no copy!! Rang the agency numerous times and we were told we need to contact the landlord as they only advertised the property, not managed it :confused:

Anyways, got the landlord's number. We had problems with the waterpump(fixed myself eventually) & we needed a copy of the agreement, tried to ring him approx 20 times over the past 3 months, no answer or returned call!!

Now, due to circumstances we need to move out! We have a clause in the contract which requires we give 28 days notice and have to forefeit our deposit if we move out early, that's fair enough, problem is we can't get in touch with him to give notice! Contacted the PRTB by email and i got a reply 3 weeks later requesting details of rented accomodation. Replied, but 3 weeks later still no word back! The agency have said they've done they're bit and i cannot give them the notice...

Anyone any idea's??

Text him and say you think there's a major problem with the water.

Or... You could stop paying the rent and see who "only advertised the property"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Cantab. wrote: »
    Text him and say you think there's a major problem with the water.

Or... You could stop paying the rent and see who "only advertised the property"

Text him a few times!! Either they gave me a wrong number or he or she is ignorant!! They said that's the number they have for him & they were in touch wit him a few weeks ago!

I'd rather leave stop paying the rent as a last resort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 someuser90

haha, why? :confused: stop paying would be my first resort

he probably breached the contract by being uncontactable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Now, due to circumstances we need to move out! We have a clause in the contract which requires we give 28 days notice and have to forefeit our deposit if we move out early, that's fair enough, problem is we can't get in touch with him to give notice! Contacted the PRTB by email and i got a reply 3 weeks later requesting details of rented accomodation. Replied, but 3 weeks later still no word back! The agency have said they've done they're bit and i cannot give them the notice..

Forget emailing the PRTB, get on the phone to them on Monday morning and do not get off it until they have answered your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

dudara wrote: »
    Forget emailing the PRTB, get on the phone to them on Monday morning and do not get off it until they have answered your question.

Will give it a shot.. Heard they're moving though, and it will affect phones etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i think you will find the landlord will surface fairly lively when you stop paying the rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

why not hold back the last months rent and leave it at that. Phone the landlord at the end of the month's notice and say you are leaving the keys in the house. That way he/she isn't out of pocket for the rent but you don't get stung for a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

This really isnt rocket science.

Assuming you're not trying to vacate the premises right this instant, withhold the last month's rent as your deposit refund. In reality, an absentee/uncontactable landlord would have a very hard time of it persuing you for the balance of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

and say you are leaving the keys in the house
    Be warned: if there is damage caused between you leaving, and the LL coming back, it's may still be your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

the_syco wrote: »
    Be warned: if there is damage caused between you leaving, and the LL coming back, it's may still be your fault.

Get the agency to inspect it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

We've had a similar problem, moved into a house in September and still haven't received a copy of the lease. We are going through a very well known letting/estate agent in Dublin. Their staff are useless and try to play us off against each other saying "Oh but I told all this to your other housemate" and "I am sure I posted the lease to you months ago, addressed to eth0_" (all lies).

Now she has finally admitted the landlord has the lease (I mean wtf, is there only one copy?) and she is chasing him to send us our copies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's the same with us, the agency we rented off four months ago still hasn't given us our lease.

Advertisement