Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another "what should I buy" question!

Options
  • 13-01-2008 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Right - I give up - can't make my mind up at all. I have 35k to spend, want the following:

It has to be:

NEW
    Lots of room (especially boot for kids stuff)
    Typically cover 400 miles a week (currently driving a petrol but thinking diesel given the miles I do now)
    Don't need masses of speed in it
    Comfortable driving on country roads

Oh and will probably trade in every 2 years or so (or maybe as I did with this car, keep it for oh about 10 years and pass to a family member).

Thoughts, Ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

a new corolla verso 2.2 D-4D comes in around 34-35k. big, economical, reliable car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

The new corolla??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

Interesting - wasn't considering a Toyota at all - (for no good reason) so putting that on the list.

Must go peek online at it now!

Thanks a million

Pitsy

The new corolla??

ducks don't produce an echo

quack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

ducks don't produce an echo

quack.

Considering when i went to post there was no replies i find it strange that its an echo!

• Advertisement

a low-end 3-series touring will be 40-42k ish.

a 1.6D volvo v50 will be 35k or so.

Considering when i went to post there was no replies i find it strange that its an echo!

my mistake.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

if planning on changing every couple of years and looking at diesels then wait until July and look at the prices then. you should get a 318d touring for around 38 then, not far off your price range. Otherwise the mondeo, passat, new mazda 6 estates are all in your range and have a fair bit of room.

Thanks for all the suggestions - was thinking of the passat alright - test drove the mazda 6 (mazda 626 were a family car for years and we loved them) but was disappointed with the finish inside - I thought I would have loved it so that was a real pity.

Don't like Ford at all so feel like the passat is the only option but there is nothing that exciting about it. I'm thinking if this is my only option, I may as well save the bobs and buy a Skoda - liked the drive when I test drove it!!

Not really a BMW fan - would really love the new A4 but think, even in July, it's going to be too expensive.

Would ADORE a Volvo but not an estate! This would be my favourite actually.

Had a look at the Toyota www and that definitely warrants consideration I think - looks like a lot of car for the money!!

As you can see, I'm not all fussy!! :rolleyes:

Anyone have anything that would change my thinking from the above? Oh and July it is - I nearly had the Passat booked until I read the VRT threads on here - so thank you boards!

Pitsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I was just about to recommend the Passat until I red the last line in your post.

So I would say Toyota or Audi A4.

• Advertisement

Louie - I do like the external look of the Passat and there is nothing I can fault on the inside and the boot is massive which I need so it's still a strong contender - it's just there's nothing overly exciting about it.

That said, I bet it's what I end up buying but purely because I can't see anything else.

Pitsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

It is a very good car I have to say. Very spacious indeed and comfortable but same is the Audi A4 which will be my ideal car but not as new (I just don't like buying new cars - the least 6 month old) as it is over-priced.

pitstop wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions - was thinking of the passat alright - test drove the mazda 6 (mazda 626 were a family car for years and we loved them) but was disappointed with the finish inside - I thought I would have loved it so that was a real pity.

Don't like Ford at all so feel like the passat is the only option but there is nothing that exciting about it. I'm thinking if this is my only option, I may as well save the bobs and buy a Skoda - liked the drive when I test drove it!!

Not really a BMW fan - would really love the new A4 but think, even in July, it's going to be too expensive.

Would ADORE a Volvo but not an estate! This would be my favourite actually.

Had a look at the Toyota www and that definitely warrants consideration I think - looks like a lot of car for the money!!

As you can see, I'm not all fussy!! :rolleyes:

Anyone have anything that would change my thinking from the above? Oh and July it is - I nearly had the Passat booked until I read the VRT threads on here - so thank you boards!

Pitsy

what about a saab? I test drove the updated 9-3 and while nothing amazing it was smooth and felt great inside. the bipower versions are very good value and will prob go up in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Accord_Saloon_SR.jpg

Honda Accord
    . Stacks of space.

A Saab - I love them!! Husband not keen but value for money might convince him - but I think boot space might be tight?? Definitely will look at them - had not thought of them at all.

Thanks for that!

Pitsy

the boot in the 9-3 is about as big as the passat I'd say. you could always up it to the sportwagon if space is a premium, but they are dearer.
    check out this review:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/210722/saab_93.html

also prices on saab.ie for the biopower model, don't include the vrt rebate which starts at about 5k back.. this will change in july.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Accord, Opel Vectra, Citroen C5 and Avensis are being replaced soon, when you say you are planning to change your car every 2 years this is very important, the old model is obviously going to be worth a lot less come trae in time, and Toyota are going on a massive cost cutting spree, so future Toyotas won't be living up to the "Best Built Cars in the World" claim, in fact the first Toyota to have "benefitted" from this is thew now almost a year old Auris, and some of the problems mentioned on websites about them are certainly more akin to what you might expect in a Fiat or Peugeot etc. So you can't have any of those.

VWs reputation for reliability is long gone, so they're out.

I don't know really, I would have thought the Mondeo or Mazda 6 would have been ideal. The Volvo V50 is small inside. What about the Renault Laguna, though the old one is a well know disaster for reliability, however the new one has a 3 year warranty, so maybe it will be better?

If you can hold off to July do, diesels should fall by a few gand in priuce and of course you will have the cheaper tax because of the lower emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

+1 for Volvo. I drive a 1.9TD S40 and mostly commute to Dublin on country roads, I and anyone whos with me always comments on how comfortable the car is (and the heated seats in winter ;)), plenty of room and its not slow either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the boot in the new S40 is quite small, smaller than a Focus (which the S40 is based on) in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

E92 wrote: »
    VWs reputation for reliability is long gone, so they're out.

+1

(ditto for Audi)

• Advertisement

Interesting stuff, so I agree the S40 boot is too small for me. Looked online at the Toyota suggested - don't like the shape at all.

E92, I'm very interested in your comments there. I actually drive a Megane (classic so massive boot!) and to be honest, if it had a decent diesel I would have one again - 7 years old and NO trouble whatsoever. One of the things that I am finding hard to reconcile with the new purchase is that Renault give you alot of the extras as standard so it's killing me to pay for these now. I did look at the Laguna and TBH, I thought the 1.9(?) diesel was expensive compared to say, the Passat!

So based on what everyone is saying - I will hold off for a diesel until July. Can someone convince me on:

1. Mazda (I love Mazdas but I thought the inside was a major disappointment - was it just me on an off day - should I look again???)

2. Mondeo - I just don't like Fords, never have - is it really that good a car. It feels quite plastic to me and the other small niggle I had - I need a large boot opening so need the hatchback but when I opened it - it's a touch too high for me to close so I have to stand on tip toe and really stretch.

The SAAB is a definite possibility - himself is playing with specs as we speak - although price is slightly more that I want to spend (will the diesel reduce in July?)

The Diesel Accord is priced about the same as the Saab so again slightly above my range but I'm throwing it in for contention - the spec and look are spot on for me.

So IN SUMMARY (phew) I'd prefer to pay the Mondeo/Mazda price but the Saab/Honda appeal to me more.

Well, despite being more confused than ever, at least ye have given me some choices other than Passat or Passat!

Thanks

Pitsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

have a look at the Skoda Superb as well. bigger than a Passat and an enormous boot. http://www.skoda-auto.com/irl/model/superb/prices/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

3 series touring is very cramped for rear passengers. The Skoda and Passat estates are very big. But for easy of ownership, the Corolla Verso would be hard to beat. (IMO):D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Skoda Superb is being replaced in the next 6 months with a new model, depreciation of the current model is hefty too if changing every two years.

Seen a new Mazda 6 today and they do look very nice indeed. Definately worth another look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Vw passats (I've had the current model) in my experience are as use ful as an ashtray on a motorbike. I've also had the previous shape mondeo and unless they have gone backwards the new mondeo should be a far superior car to the passat.If you cant take my word for it , try to find a motoring journal that chooses a passat in favour of a mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Merc B180 CDI 2l Sport is just higher than your budget. But is only 151 g/km so I'd hold off on it until July if you like it.

Tax 590->290, VRT 30%->20%. The B200 might even be in your price range!

Groupb - very interesting to hear your view - will give it another look.

ninty9er - definitely having a look at that - not mad about the shape but like the kit and the badge!

Pitsy

As bazz says, the Superb is being replaced soon, there is even a fairly recent thread about the replacement for it, so that's out and even if it wasn't, the current one depreciates like a lead balloon.

The Accord is also being replaced so that's out as well.

The following cars are due for replacement within the next 12 months, so these have to be excluded:
    Toyota Avensis
    Honda Accord
    Citroen C5
    Opel Vectra(to be replaced by the Insignia)
    Skoda Superb.

The B-class is a Merc and all modern Mercs are nothing special, there hasn't been a properly built Merc in about 7 or 8 years. All the new ones are built very poorly compared to the 90s ones(especially the early 90s and before which were nigh on indestructible). It is expensive for what you are getting. Now I haven't sampled one, so maybe it feels properly made and maybe it's a nice car, but any reviews of it I have seen have been less than complimentary. It also has only 5 seats, what's the point of an MPV with only 5 seats?

A B180 CDI starts at €34,920 now and doesn't even have air-conditioning as standard(essential in a vehicle with a large glass area) or electric back windows.

As for Renaults and reliability, I know that reputations are sometimes exaggerated, but the current shape Mégane and the 01-07 Laguna are complete disasters. Anyone here involved in the motor trade will tell you that dealers hate to see people turning up with these cars as trade ins. The previous generation Mégane(the 96-02 one) was better made actually and more reliable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Merc B-class is a Merc and all modern Mercs are nothing special, there hasn't been a properly built Merc in about 7 or 8 years. All the new ones are built very poorly compared to the 90s ones(especially the early 90s and before which were nigh on indestructible).
    Merc seem to have put an emphasis back on build quality in recent years in their restructuring operation. It certainly wouldn't be any worse than any particular car out there. Even Hondas go wrong these days.
    A B180 CDI starts at €34,920 now and doesn't even have air-conditioning as standard(essential in a vehicle with a large glass area) or electric back windows.
    Using Unkel's calculator from the VRT thread the 37k 180 sport reduces to 32.5k in July.

Using the same figs the €40,500 B200 CDI Sport reduces to €35,500 and is 140BHP to the 180s 109BHP. I actually like the shape of it though. Strange for a 21 year old I know:D:D but then I've just abandoned buying an FTO for an Astra:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

All the other diesels will be falling in price too, so that is really a mute point as the Merc is still gonna cost a lot more than the family motors I and other people mentioned.

And as I mentioned earlier, it comes with less equipment than even a Polo these days(all Polos now have air con as standard).

A BMW 318i would come in just over the OP's budget after July as well at €35,569 for the 318i ES but it is small for what the OP needs, so that's out too.

Advertisement