Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another "what should I buy" question!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Actually, now that you mention the family diesels, I was shopping on Saturday and called into the local Renault dealer. I was mightily impressed by the interior of the new Laguna...no bits falling off or loose, of course a test drive would be in order to ensure that no rattles do exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Well the fact that Renault are in an alliance with Nissan should mean that some of the Japanese build quality and reliability standards should rub off into the Renaults, though some of the Nissans like the Qashqai are based on the current shape Mégane and we all know how bad that is for quality and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

A 1.6 HDi Peugeot 407,

Well within your budget,
    Huge boot,
    Very, very comfy to drive,
    Good spec (33K Solaire model has Sunroof, A/C, Bluetooth, Cruise Control & MP3)
    Cheap to tax & insure,
    Will get cheaper to buy and tax in June, so you would be better off to wait.

E92 wrote: »
    Well the fact that Renault are in an alliance with Nissan should mean that some of the Japanese build quality and reliability standards should rub off into the Renaults, though some of the Nissans like the Qashqai are based on the current shape Mégane and we all know how bad that is for quality and reliability.

My Aunt has a 04 Megáne Saloon that has given NO trouble whatsoever, as opposed to the Polo Saloon she had which caused nothing but grief for 2 years. I've actually heard less complaints about the current Megáne than the VW Passat.

407 is has the smallest boot in the class at 407 litres, so it's not really suitable for someone who wants a car with space in it.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    My Aunt has a 04 Megáne Saloon that has given NO trouble whatsoever, as opposed to the Polo Saloon she had which caused nothing but grief for 2 years. I've actually heard less complaints about the current Megáne than the VW Passat.

Ah well the current shape VW Passat is a well know disaster, claiming that a Renault is better than a Passat is entirely believable because the current Passat is meant to be woeful for reliability, like all modern VWs. Their reputation for reliability has long since vanished in my eyes!

And the current Mégane regularly comes down towards the bottom in JD power surveys, and I've heard several complaints about it on Motors, just because one person had no trouble with it doesn't mean they are all like that no more than the fact that the parent's Avensis has been less than trouble free means that all Toyotas are badly made either.

(as an aside I know I've said on several occaisons that Toyota are going to be cutting corners in future models and the new Auris has been the first car to be "infected" with this, but most Toyotas prior to this would live up to the "Best Built Cars in the World" claim)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Country roads + space + quality + diesel + 35k and a good bit of change = Skoda Octavia Estate 4x4 TDi.

Country roads + space + quality + diesel + 35k and a good bit of change = Skoda Octavia Estate 4x4 TDi.

Skoda Octavia Estate 4x4 TDi=depreciation like a lead balloon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Could very well be but do you buy a car to drive it for a couple of years or do you buy a car to trade it in after 6 months ? I'm quite convinced the initial depreciation on a Volvo or a low end BMW or Merc is going to be significantly worse in absolute numbers. Never mind depreciation on any French car. If you'd calculate the percentages you'd be coming close to the average banana republic annual inflation figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

pitstop wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions - was thinking of the passat alright - test drove the mazda 6 (mazda 626 were a family car for years and we loved them) but was disappointed with the finish inside - I thought I would have loved it so that was a real pity.

Don't like Ford at all so feel like the passat is the only option but there is nothing that exciting about it. I'm thinking if this is my only option, I may as well save the bobs and buy a Skoda - liked the drive when I test drove it!!

Not really a BMW fan - would really love the new A4 but think, even in July, it's going to be too expensive.

Pitsy

There will be a 2.0TDI e model come July with low emissions which should see it fall in bracket A or B. Might bring it sub 35k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

407 is has the smallest boot in the class at 407 litres, so it's not really suitable for someone who wants a car with space in it.

Well, I dunno about facts and figures, But I had a rented one on holidays for 4 adults and the boot was more than big enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'm thinking if this is my only option, I may as well save the bobs and buy a Skoda - liked the drive when I test drove it!!

Not really a BMW fan - would really love the new A4 but think, even in July, it's going to be too expensive.

I think going for the Skoda Superb over the Passat would be a mistake, the Passat is a better car. Reliability seems to be sorted now on them, and anyone I know with one has had a couple of issues but nothing major. Still, anything you buy will be under warranty, so wouldn't worry too much! Anyway, the A4 is in the same league as the passat for reliability, actually even worse from the experience of people I know!
    If you want the S40 you're better off going for the 2 litre diesel, a Volvo power plant.
    I was a fan of the Saab 93 until I drove one. It's shocking how poorly assembled it was inside, and fairly dull. I'd actually go for the Alfa 159 instead. Same diesel engine, slightly cheaper, far far nicer design, 3 year warranty and free servicing!! Holding it's value just as well as the Saab too.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Ford Mondeo 1.8 Tdci Zetec (125 bhp) Metalic for c.€30k and €290 pa road tax from July.Spacious,economical,comfortable,reliable and solid on the road.Saloon offers a 'small' spare wheel and as a result the boot opening is considerably greater than Mondeo with normal spare wheel.Take it for a test drive and see if it ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

OK - I'm still no further along - actually I should clarify something - the 35K is a cash price so I would expect (and did get this for the Passat) 2/3k off the list price. This may get me my Audi come July??? (I know it actually doesn't meet all my criteria but I have a thing about this badge).

Will definitely look at the Mondeo again and am putting the Laguna on the list because I do like them alot. The new one certainly is nice.

Taken the Merc off based on comments here - doesn't sound like great value for money.

Now, there is nothing forcing me to change in July - I could actually wait until next January - so I could put those cars in that are going to change models (although I would wait awhile to let them iron out any problems). I took a look online at the Honda Accord - like that - anyone know when exactly the new one is due???

Thanks

Pitsy

Biro wrote: »
    If you want the S40 you're better off going for the 2 litre diesel, a Volvo power plant.

Nope. Its a PSA engine. The only Volvo engines in the new S40/V50 are the 5 cylinder models i.e. the 2.4/i, T5 and D5.

Other petrols are Ford, other diesels are PSA.

OK - I'm still no further along - actually I should clarify something - the 35K is a cash price so I would expect (and did get this for the Passat) 2/3k off the list price. This may get me my Audi come July??? (I know it actually doesn't meet all my criteria but I have a thing about this badge).

Will definitely look at the Mondeo again and am putting the Laguna on the list because I do like them alot. The new one certainly is nice.

Taken the Merc off based on comments here - doesn't sound like great value for money.

Now, there is nothing forcing me to change in July - I could actually wait until next January - so I could put those cars in that are going to change models (although I would wait awhile to let them iron out any problems). I took a look online at the Honda Accord - like that - anyone know when exactly the new one is due???

Thanks

Pitsy

What is it with wimmin and the 4 rings! :D
    I think the Accord is due in November. Should be a nice bus. I wouldn't rate the C-class as much as poor value as the Audi would be... the A4 is terribly cramped. The C-Class would hold it's value well too. They are over priced alright.
    I don't think the Audi will be attainable for 35k in July, I'd be very surprised if it was. You should test drive the new Mazda 6 (make sure it's the new model!), Alfa 159, Volvo S40, Passat and Mondeo and then form a better opinion. Nothing like driving a car to change your mind on it!

Nope. Its a PSA engine. The only Volvo engines in the new S40/V50 are the 5 cylinder models i.e. the 2.4/i, T5 and D5.

Other petrols are Ford, other diesels are PSA.

I thought that, but a Volvo source told me otherwise.

I drove a 626 for years a while back (executive that I brought back from UK) - it was a beauty and I had loads of offers (for the car:p).

My thoughts:

Mazda 6
    So I was really excited about the new 6 - when I test drove it - was very disappointed - HATED the inside - there was just nothing exciting about it. Maybe I will have another look though.

Mondeo
    God, I hate the badge but also the inside is so plastic - it makes the car feel like a tin can.

S40
    Loved it - a tad too small though

Alfa 159
    Actually like these and haven't test drove but don't think (from a previous test drive) that it will drive well on the very bad country roads - I need a really soft suspension - that's why I ended up with a Renault last time.

Might be prepared to wait for the Accord - anyone any details on it??

Pitsy

Current list price for the *NEW* A4, which would be big enough methinks, is €44,200, before alloys, metallic or any of the like are added. that just shy of €38,750 in July (again using Unkel's calculator....that thing's very informative). I imagine the price will remain at €44k and alloys, climate control and a few other bits will be added to the standard spec.

The Civic Saloon is well within your budget and has buckets of space too. Replaced in late 2006. I've been in one as a taxi and it's definitely worth a look. Much better looking than the hatch too!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

I would check out the Jeep Compass or Patriot, or the Dodge Caliber. They are all essentially the same vehicle (built on the same frame), but are different shapes for your preference. Good interior space, and would be good on the country roads. They have seating for the kids, and access to the boot from the back seat. I'm pretty sure the Jeeps are diesel only, but I know the Caliber has diesel or petrol, and I know the petrol version has an available Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) which will help reduce emissions.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

MCMLXXXIII wrote: »
    I would check out the Jeep Compass or Patriot, or the Dodge Caliber. They are all essentially the same vehicle (built on the same frame), but are different shapes for your preference. Good interior space, and would be good on the country roads. They have seating for the kids, and access to the boot from the back seat. I'm pretty sure the Jeeps are diesel only, but I know the Caliber has diesel or petrol, and I know the petrol version has an available Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) which will help reduce emissions.

:eek:

They can't even spell the Caliber properly. A bit like the Skoda Favorit.

I drove a 626 for years a while back (executive that I brought back from UK) - it was a beauty and I had loads of offers (for the car:p).

Mazda 6
    So I was really excited about the new 6 - when I test drove it - was very disappointed - HATED the inside - there was just nothing exciting about it. Maybe I will have another look though.

When did you test drive it? I'm kind of surprised, cause the interior is a big improvement from the old 6. By new 6 I mean the one that's only in the country about a month... Is that the one?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Mondeo
    ''God, I hate the badge but also the inside is so plastic - it makes the car feel like a tin can.''

Mondeo=Irish car of the year 2007...'tin can' according to pitstop,how did the motoring critics get it so wrong?

The new 6 looks distinctly Lexus like. there was one parked outside the office when I was coming back from lunch....nice looking car indeed.

Also don't rule the B-Class out or in just because of 2 people with conflicting views on here. Drive it, adjust the spec to your requirements and see if you can afford it then. The B200 Sport as I said will be in the region of €35 k come July. Instead of a discount push for the bells and whistles.

It may drive better (for your needs) than something like the 6 with a sporty setup...

If you don't mind me saying; it's strage enough for a woman to go car shopping and actually DRIVE the car...at least you have some sense that way.

Biro - I test drove on Nov 28th - had the date of release pencil marked cos I was buying the Passat but waiting to see the Mazda. OK so I am going to look at this again - maybe I was having an off day cos I love Mazda.

Port - I don't dispute the critics at all but that's MY feeling on it - I just didn't like it and of course, it didn't have much of a hope cos I don't like Ford generally.
    If you don't mind me saying; it's strage enough for a woman to go car shopping and actually DRIVE the car...at least you have some sense that way.

ninty9er - you can't be serious:eek: any woman I know who is spending her OWN money will probably be even more picky than a man. I have to do alot of driving - I'm hardly going to buy something that I find crap or difficult to drive.

The advice on here has been pretty good - lots of info on what's happening in next months/year - at least now, I have a few more to test drive and a bit more choice.

Feel my decision will now be somewhat informed.

Thanks

Pitsy

CVT has been shown on many occasions to be completely inefficient compared to a standard auto let alone a manual for mpg. Plus whenever you accelerate the rev counter goes up to near where the redzone is and you just get a load of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

ninty9er wrote: »
    Current list price for the *NEW* A4, which would be big enough methinks, is €44,200, before alloys, metallic or any of the like are added. that just shy of €38,750 in July (again using Unkel's calculator....that thing's very informative). I imagine the price will remain at €44k and alloys, climate control and a few other bits will be added to the standard spec.

Theres a 2.0TDI 120 E model due out in June thats meant to come in at 3.5k under this 143bhp engine. Its emissions are even lower than the 143 also.

With discount you could get it for sub 35k.

• Advertisement

1.8 TFSI with 120 bhp starts at €25,950 in Germany, which should mean that it will cost €35,181 at 25% VRT, plus an extra RHD supplement would give us somewhere around the €35,500 mark, and at 24% VRT, which is what it will be from July, it should cost €34,719 so around €35k from July.

Anyone know what the emissions for the 'e' model are?

Advertisement