Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another "what should I buy" question!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

RedorDead wrote: »
    Theres a 2.0TDI 120 E model due out in June thats meant to come in at 3.5k under this 143bhp engine. Its emissions are even lower than the 143 also.

That wouldn't be hard as the A4 2.0 TDI belches more CO2 into the air than a petrol powered BMW 318i(144 vs 142 g/km) which is the same engine size and has the same bhp as the current TDI in the A4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

pitstop wrote: »
    Biro - I test drove on Nov 28th - had the date of release pencil marked cos I was buying the Passat but waiting to see the Mazda. OK so I am going to look at this again - maybe I was having an off day cos I love Mazda.

Oh, that's disappointing... although I have learned from the old 6 that different trim options transformed the old 6 interior from absolute tripe to acceptable, so maybe it's the same for the new one! See if you can sit in one with a different trim.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Actually, now that you mention the family diesels, I was shopping on Saturday and called into the local Renault dealer. I was mightily impressed by the interior of the new Laguna...no bits falling off or loose, of course a test drive would be in order to ensure that no rattles do exist.

Well that can only be an improvement.

There is a Saloon version of the Laguna on the way, presumably they are going to import it to Ireland, especially as Saloons comprehensively outsell hatchbacks here.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

Accord should be out in March/April or so but if you are looking at a diesel model I would not get it till July… It should have new 2.2 liter engine with 140 or 180 HP. Fully loaded with leather seats should be around 37 000…I am possibly will be waiting myself for this one… Very nice cars...they are selling in NA as a Honda premium brand Acura TSX

Speaking of Acura, they have decided in their wisdom to offer the new i-DTEC for the North Amercan market. Looks like the Japanese won't wait as long as they did to introduce the new generation diesels to Europe.

Toyota are also introducing V8 diesels for America as well, as well as Honda, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep(they already sell diesels there), Volkswagen, Audi, BMW and even Ford are bringing forward diesels for sale in America over the next 6-18 months.

If the rest of the Accord is as good as it looks then it should be a great car altogether. But they really need to offer the diesel in more affordable variants than they do at the moment if they want more custom, it is just simply too expensive at the moment.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    Speaking of Acura, they have decided in their wisdom to offer the new i-DTEC for the North Amercan market. Looks like the Japanese won't wait as long as they did to introduce the new generation diesels to Europe.

Toyota are also introducing V8 diesels for America as well, as well as Honda, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep(they already sell diesels there), Volkswagen, Audi, BMW and even Ford are bringing forward diesels for sale in America over the next 6-18 months.

If the rest of the Accord is as good as it looks then it should be a great car altogether. But they really need to offer the diesel in more affordable variants than they do at the moment if they want more custom, it is just simply too expensive at the moment.

True, Honda Ireland are the ones I blame. It's only a small bit more expensive in England than the direct competition like the Passat etc, but over here Honda Ireland seem to be trying to push it into the A4/C-Class/3-series category, which is a big mistake in this badge snobby narrow-minded car buying country.

The problem with the diesel Accord is that they only sold it in top of the range guise. If they made it available in all trim levels rather than just top of the range it would have been more affordable. Hondas are expensive cars compared with the competition anyway. You need €23,440 to buy the cheapest Civic, and it's a 1.4, by comparison even the most expensive 1.6 Mazda3 hatchback costs €22,995. Similarly with the Accord it's €34k for the cheapest one when a Mondeo or Avensis could be had for €25k. I know the Honda is much better equipped and has a bigger engine and all that, and it actually isn't any dearer than 2.0 Mondeos or Avensis, but my point is that Honda need to offer more affordable versions of their cars if they want to sell more of them. How many 2.0 Avensis and Mondeos do you see around the place?

On the plus side for Honda, the new VRT rates see the 1.4 and 1.8 Civics in 16% and 20%(hatchback only), so they should be more affordable come July.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

Had a look today at the Civic and Accord (not really interested in the Civic but just wanted to get a feel for the type of trims etc in overall range - not all picky - am I!!!).

Anyway, I like the Accord - alot!! Will definitely wait until July for it though.

Still keeping the Renault in there - my history (whether it's just luck or not) was good with them.

Can't wait now. I think my heart was never set on the Passat otherwise I would have just gone for it.

Pitsy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Have you driven a B-Class yet???

No - not yet - a job for next week. Although the Honda is make me very lazy now!:D

Pitsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Any idea which accord you'd go for?

I've a civic saloon (1.8), great car. Driven the accord too, again great car imo. I thought the new accord wasn't coming out until end of this year though??

The one I drove was a nordy inlaws 2.4 petrol (type-s)
    Just had a look at the honda uk website its 214g/km CO2........ouch 32%VRT & €1,000 tax, doubt anyone will be buying these here after July.
    The 2.2iCDTi is 142g/km so 20%VRT and €290 tax, after july obviously.

I think the 2.4 we have here is called the 'executive', dunno if its the exact same car though (trims/body).
    There's so many "new car" threads it makes me want one

lafors - 2.2 diesel I think, petrol is no good to me due to annual mileage - Someone said the new one is out in March and I will wait til July for it - hoping obviously that the new version lives up to it's name (saw the pics on the other thread here - bootiful!). Mind u, that's what I was hoping with the new Mazda 6 - I thought I was onto a sure thing and when I drove it - nope!! If the same thing happens the Honda, I think I would give up and buy an Octavia diesel (which actually does meet my needs in many ways!!).

Pitsy

Sorry lafors - only half answered u. Will wait until new model to decide trims as they might adjust??? Basically whichever diesel model comes with air con, radio functions on steering and FOG LIGHTS AS STANDARD (I hate that u have to pay for these on many!)

My pocket can only afford the Sports but it was the exec that I drove (that's all they had and I would like this so we'll see). I presume the S in your post is the Sport model - is the suspension hard?

Thanks Pitsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

pitstop wrote: »
    Had a look today at the Civic and Accord (not really interested in the Civic but just wanted to get a feel for the type of trims etc in overall range - not all picky - am I!!!).

Anyway, I like the Accord - alot!! Will definitely wait until July for it though.

Still keeping the Renault in there - my history (whether it's just luck or not) was good with them.

Can't wait now. I think my heart was never set on the Passat otherwise I would have just gone for it.

Pitsy

i have the current accord type s auto.. 2.0, 155bhp, great car to drive,
    nice power too..looks well too..i can highly recommend one!
    the engine is sweet..and excellent handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

I have viewed all the replys and no one has suggested one of the most spacious cars on the market for under your price line. It also has a huge spec and a new model is on the way. Take a seious look at the Skoda Superb. If it is comfort space and spec the 1.9tdi is very hard to beat. Miles a head of the VW or A4 spec and they all share the same parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

dessierb wrote: »
    I have viewed all the replys and no one has suggested one of the most spacious cars on the market for under your price line. It also has a huge spec and a new model is on the way. Take a seious look at the Skoda Superb. If it is comfort space and spec the 1.9tdi is very hard to beat. Miles a head of the VW or A4 spec and they all share the same parts.

I wouldn't buy one now, the new model is being launched in March, so it probably won't hit our shores until after the VRT changes in July.

The Superb also depreciates like a lead balloon!

... and it's a bit naff looking! :)
    Based on the old Passat platform too, which isn't a patch on the new one.
    New Superb looks nice though, but not out for a while.

As everyone was so helpful - I thought I would update. I am finally buying now - took all your advice on wait til July!! Good student here and buying a..........

Santa Fe!!

Don't ask!! I was ordering an A4 - would have loved one until.......I drove it and hated it!! Engine was a bit sluggish I though (143 BHP 2.0 Diesel) and I hated the driver space - it felt too cosy to me (I know it's supposed to be that way - cockpit style). Of ALL the about 20 cars that I test drove, Honda Accord and then the Passat were the next preferences - just for space and comfort and nice for me...

Oh and the other reason that these were in this preference - on all of my top 3, I was able to test drive for at least 24 hours - so some of the others such as the Mondeo, 407, BMW might have grown on me if I did not have to take a 15 minute test drive with the salesman droning it - it's the worst buying experience ever!

Thanks everyone

Pitsy

Advertisement