Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multi-time champ returning to WWE

• 13-01-2008 3:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

This is from the Wrestling Observer Newsletter
    We reported earlier that The Wrestling Observer Newsletter had noted a big name of WWE's past - a multi-champion superstar was set to return with the company.

The January 14 edition of the Newsletter confirms that former multi-time WWE Champion Paul Wight - The Big Show - has either signed with the company or has agreed to a deal, and will be starting full-time very soon.

Big Show is down to 440 lbs after leaving pro wrestling to rest, and pursue a possible career in boxing, which obviously included boxing training that got him in quite a good shape. Dave Meltzer also mentions in the Observer that a part of his boxing deal was that Hulk Hogan was to be his "front man" acting like a manager in wrestling for him by doing promos and appearances. This was also the main reason many boxing promoters were actually interested in Big Show and paying him so much money to learn the sport. These plans, however, fell apart at some point, and Show realized that at his age, boxing might not be the right direction to go anyway. There have also been no recent updates or even talks of Hogan doing his own wrestling tour - a very discussed topic of the past. Hence with nothing on the horizon, Big Show is back with WWE.

When I had heard about this during the week, with no name being mentioned, his name wasn't even one that I thought it would be so a bit surprised!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I heard about this multi-time champ story. I figured it was going to be RVD.

I think Big Show would be a welcome signing. I felt he did well when he was with ECW and he worked really hard. His main problem was that he was way too big but if he's trimmed himself down then he'll be very useful indeed.

I'd like to see him on Smackdown as I think there's more interesting feuds for him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I can't help but get the feeling that if he does go to Smackdown he will end up in a feud with Khali in a horrible battle of the giants kind of angle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

I'm sure it'll be a Jericho like deal where he'll go straight into the title picture although i wouldn't be suprised to see him actually get a World Title. I haven't seen Khali in a while, is he on tv at the minute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Khali accompanies Runjin Singh to the ring these days haha, he's gone down abit in the last few months huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

amull87 wrote: »
    I'm sure it'll be a Jericho like deal where he'll go straight into the title picture although i wouldn't be suprised to see him actually get a World Title. I haven't seen Khali in a while, is he on tv at the minute?

He was on briefly this week with Runjin Singh who had the armwrestle match with Hornswoggle and got a belt of a chair after it. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i can see nothing good for either the WWE or Big Show coming from this signing. What does Paul Wight have to prove, he is at the wrong end of 30, beat up and his body is in terrible shape, how is wrestling all over the world, being away from his family for most of the year and sitting in cramped airlines going to help him :rolleyes: He will just end up stuffing his face with McDonalds and other junk food while on the road and ballon back up to 490lb

440lb is still incredibly overweight for even someone his height, after all Shaq is 360lb at 7'1 and he can barely lift his feet any more and has become a joke in the NBA with the other players running rings around him.

maybe Wight wants to follow Andre into an early grave.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I was hoping it would be Sid. If only for the hilarity of his uselessness. Still though, Glad to see Big Show back. Hopfully we won't become morbidly fat like he did last time he returned.

Think he'll return at the Rumble as a suprise? Like he did in 2001?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

His main problem was that he was way too big

His main problem was that he could barely walk. I'm with rossie1977 on this, it's kind of sad I think. Another case of a wrestler who just can't leave the business when it's for the best. I really hope WWE don't have him on a full-time schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i can see nothing good for either the WWE or Big Show coming from this signing. What does Paul Wight have to prove, he is at the wrong end of 30, beat up and his body is in terrible shape, how is wrestling all over the world, being away from his family for most of the year and sitting in cramped airlines going to help him :rolleyes: He will just end up stuffing his face with McDonalds and other junk food while on the road and ballon back up to 490lb

440lb is still incredibly overweight for even someone his height, after all Shaq is 360lb at 7'1 and he can barely lift his feet any more and has become a joke in the NBA with the other players running rings around him.

maybe Wight wants to follow Andre into an early grave.....

QFT.

I was never huge on Show to begin, and I would argue that he only really drew when he was still in WCW. If Jericho's return has been luke-warm, what can the WWE expect show to do? Bad move for both parties, but ultimately Show is the one who has alot more to lose with his health being the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

If he could get back down to this size he'd have a chance of a decent life for the next 10-15 years but that's highly unlikely! Also the pop Jericho gets here is huge!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LNMwAJXSKE

• Advertisement

Wow don't agree with this criticism of Show at all. At least give the guy a chance before judging him.

Having a guy like Show on the roster is a huge asset (forgive the pun). He's a credible contender for his size and strength alone. He can go from mid-card one minute to main event the next minute and you can buy him as a legit contender due to his size. He's done it all his career.

The main advantage of a guy like Show is to fulfil the role Andre did for Hogan - putting people over and making them even more popular. If a top babyface beats Show then it's an instant boost to their credibility.

I believe the feuds that Lesnar and Cena had with him for the WWE and US title respectively helped both get over in a big way and gave them real credibility due to beating this giant. To a lesser extent I think it happened with Bobby Lashley too.

Something like a Jeff Hardy/Big Show feud or maybe even a CM Punk/Big Show feud would give either man a huge rub if they were booked to beat the big man.

I think he's a great guy to have on the roster and would look forward to seeing him. And if you've seen him live you know how bloody monstrous he comes across!

I haven't got a problem with the guy as a wrestler. I think he's a very talented worker. But having heard and seen how bad a shape he was in the last time he was on tv, I'm just worried for his health. He's more than likely not going to live as long as the average person and it sounded like he was really enjoying life away from wrestling

Surely his health will be better served pretending to fight people rather than what he was going to do - boxing - where he would have been unmercifully pummeled in the head over and over.

He seems to have decided that wrestling is his passion so I say good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

like fozzy i have great respect for Wight, his stuff in early WCW was just amazing, for a man of his size to do drop-kicks and go head first over the top rope beggars belief, guys like khali and silva can only dream of the stuff he pulled off.

the couple of times i met him in person he seemed like a really nice guy, taking time out to sign autographs for everyone and let people take photos with him.

but i don't believe he needs to come back to pro-wrestling because this is a very tough business, not just for the in-ring work but the travel schedule is crazy and guys like him have shorter life-spans than normal people. I would much rather Wight lived to be old man rather than risking his health for the WWE fans (most of them won't appreciate it anyway)

he has his championships (4 World titles), he has made his money (i am sure he is a very rich dude), there is very little chance he will be a main eventer with cena and lashley on the way back and on smackdown i cannot see him getting a main event spot ahead of batista or edge.

But as they say, wrestlers never really retire; Andre was stubborn too, he was wrestling 2-3 weeks before he died when he should have been fishing or at least something less strenuous than having 300lb guys jump on top him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 truth_enigma

There is no surprise to this. The biggest problem is the only person who knew how to book him properly in WWE was Paul E, who's now gone. Vince doesn't know how.

I looks like the problem for Wight is that his tour with Hogan is off because of the show they headlined in Memphis was a disaster. He attempted to get a boxing career(hogan was supposed to be his corner man) off the ground, but expected to be immediately put into title matches because of his size, and didn't realize boxing requires you to proove yourself to a degree, so abandoned it and went back to the owner of "his slave name".

That said, he's supposed to be in the best shape in years, and is apparently down to 420 pounds from close to 550,and is well rested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I could imagine him as a surprise entrant at the Royal Rumble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Wade Keller of the Professional Wrestling Torch Newsletter is reporting that Paul “The Big Show” Wight has signed his new contract with WWE. According to a source close to Big Show, the deal is “signed, sealed, and delivered.”

Return at RR anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,488 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Return at RR anyone?

I was thinking he might show up on RAW, what with Vince saying HHH will be facing a mystery opponent next week to qualify for the Rumble (and being the usual smug Vince while doing it)

Now, it is as likely that it will be Umaga or Kahli as the 'surprise', but with Show being signed, sealed and delivered, and being in apparently better shape then ever, I reckon it could be him.

Tauren wrote: »
    I was thinking he might show up on RAW, what with Vince saying HHH will be facing a mystery opponent next week to qualify for the Rumble (and being the usual smug Vince while doing it)

HHH is going to win that match though, I don't see them debuting Big Show in a loss to HHH. He'll probably be a face when he comes back too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I see a Hulk Hogan/Big Show versus Khali/ and some other monster in the works for Wrestlemania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Fozzy wrote: »
    HHH is going to win that match though, I don't see them debuting Big Show in a loss to HHH. He'll probably be a face when he comes back too

I don't know.
    There's a lack of top heels at the moment.
    The only one who springs to mind is Orton.

I don't watch Smackdown (I just can't stomach mysterio and a main eventer and Batista shakes the ropes far too much for my liking. You should only shake the ropes if you have face paint and ar slightly insane), so I'm not really up to date on their heels, but I can't even think of any main eventers who are.

The lines have become far too blurred right now and that's not good. You should never be cheering both guys. Christ, the only place they have it right is in the women's division.

Oh yeah, JBL. But that's only two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I see a Hulk Hogan/Big Show versus Khali/ and some other monster in the works for Wrestlemania.
    Ugh. I don't like where this is going. Umaga is rumoured to be facing Foley, and Big Boobs V and Henry are already in a stable. That leaves us with Snitsky. There is no way Snitsky should be put in a match like that.

But they needn't use another monster. I could see Vince, Shane or Coachman being involved.

I can see a storyline with Show coming back to topple the monsters. Then one day they put the beat down on him and out pops Hogan to make the save. Very easy storyline that people would buy into.

I haven't a problem with it. If they went that way, at least your sticking them all in the same match rather than filling the card in 2 or 3 matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

Dont you just hate when the big show returns and they say he's lost weight but hes just fatter?

If he deos come back I hope he's face cause heel big show is so annoying and pointless hes an okish face ish.

pingu_girl wrote: »
    Dont you just hate when the big show returns and they say he's lost weight but hes just fatter?

Apparently he's lost alot of weight this time.

b.ie polar wrote: »
    Ugh. I don't like where this is going. Umaga is rumoured to be facing Foley, and Big Boobs V and Henry are already in a stable. That leaves us with Snitsky. There is no way Snitsky should be put in a match like that.
    After last weeks RAW, it looks like Snitsky will be getting a push.

But they needn't use another monster. I could see Vince, Shane or Coachman being involved.

The difference betwen the people you mentioned and Wight is that at a decent weight (the rumoured 420-440), he can actually wrestle. The otthers are just big lumps.

At seven foot, 440 is a weight he can move at.
    I remember his debut is WCW and was impressed at a guy his size being able to move so well.
    Viscera, Henry and Snitsky always sucked.

I heard he once did a moonsault in wcw! anybody ever see it? Ive tryed youtube and nothing came up.

Big Show at 440lbs today is a very different Big Show at 440lbs 10 years ago. I'm not sure if his knees will have recovered that much in one year off

Fozzy wrote: »
    Big Show at 440lbs today is a very different Big Show at 440lbs 10 years ago. I'm not sure if his knees will have recovered that much in one year off

Yeah, very good point. I nevr factored that in.

Still though, I'm sure he'd be able to move around the ring a hell of a lot better than those other three jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

pingu_girl wrote: »
    If he deos come back I hope he's face cause heel big show is so annoying and pointless hes an okish face ish.
    I don't quite know what you mean by pointless. Was he pointless when he joined the NWO? Was he pointless when he put over Cena and Lesner? Was he pointless as ECW champion, back when the ECW title was defended against the top names in the company?
    I can see a storyline with Show coming back to topple the monsters.
    A three-on-two tag match could make sense. Or you could even squeeze Kane into the ring to even things up. I'm sure the millions Kanenites would go be going wild, brother! (aside: Kane's promo with Hogan and The Rock = his best ever)
    Terry wrote:
    After last weeks RAW, it looks like Snitsky will be getting a push.
    Meh. I don't know if getting taken out by HHH is the best way to start a push. It hasn't worked for Carlito, Cade, Murdock, London or Kendrick.
    The difference betwen the people you mentioned and Wight is that at a decent weight (the rumoured 420-440), he can actually wrestle. The otthers are just big lumps.

At seven foot, 440 is a weight he can move at.
    I remember his debut is WCW and was impressed at a guy his size being able to move so well.
    Viscera, Henry and Snitsky always sucked.
    As much as like Show, I don't think he'll be doing any dropkicks or taking any powerbombs in the near future.:D

I've always stood up for big guys in the ring. Viscera used to have amazing agility, but what even now that he is older and has lost some mobility he showed the younger guys a thing or two about playing a monster heel when he switched to ECW.

And Henry has the power to scare me, simply because I know he is legitimately powerful. He doesn't need to be able to hit spinning heel kicks as a simple move like a bearhug is all he needs.

Snitsky is truly pointless and Khali is little more than a freakshow attraction.

I don't quite know what you mean by pointless. Was he pointless when he joined the NWO?

Like in 1996 12 years ago? Well no but that was 12 years ago more than half my life time ago.

Was he pointless when he put over Cena and Lesner?

I wish he hadn't to be honest what good has it done?
    Was he pointless as ECW champion, back when the ECW title was defended against the top names in the company?

Whats ECW ?:rolleyes:

WWE has enough big guy heels at the moment It wouldn't make sense to bring him back as a heel and he can get over as a face so why not the world needs more "440lb" nice guys on TV.

I got to say I don't really care about Big Show coming back either. He's better than alot of big guys but I can't say I've overly missed him while he was gone.

Advertisement