Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banned

• 13-01-2008 3:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else finds it strange that posts that involve the banning of a boardsie or the retaliation against a mod have seriously high view counts?.

What is it about conflict on here that interests us so much?. Are we just here for the bannings?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

trying to get people to read your thread eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Not at all have a look at this....
    32 1,094
    29 920
    28 955
    59 2,596
    82 2,378
    48 916
    30 1,021
    99 2,859

Second column is the amount that viewed banned threads.....do you not think thats a bit strange?. It's seems discussion involing conflict, ownage, pawnage seems to be the most popular on boards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

Feelgood wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else finds it strange that posts that involve the banning of a boardsie or the retaliation against a mod have seriously high view counts?.

What is it about conflict on here that interests us so much?. Are we just here for the bannings?
    i just find the arguments fun

i just find the arguments fun

Yeah me too :) but does that mean that there is something wrong with us?.

Yeah me too :) but does that mean that there is something wrong with us?.
    i dont think so:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The Romans had gladiatorial spectacle. We've come so far...

lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not at all have a look at this....
    32 1,094
    29 920
    28 955
    59 2,596
    82 2,378
    48 916
    30 1,021
    99 2,859

Second column is the amount that viewed banned threads.....do you not think thats a bit strange?. It's seems discussion involing conflict, ownage, pawnage seems to be the most popular on boards...

That's the same with pretty much every thread. Just take a look at the first page of after hours.

Some of the threads have under 200 posts yet have views in the thousands.

Well put it this way, lets said boards wasn't a website and it was actually a virutal room but a real room...

Thats like having 2, 859 people in a room watching two people argue, while eagarly awaiting the next comment.

Anyways don't mind me, p1$$3d as 3 farts. Mods feel free to delete post, am talking sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Anyways don't mind me, p1$$3d as 3 farts. Mods feel free to delete post, am talking sh1te.
    Better yet, BAN HIM!!!

• Advertisement

tman wrote: »
    Better yet, BAN HIM!!!

Given the ****eness of this thread I think I actually deserve it....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well put it this way, lets said boards wasn't a website and it was actually a virutal room but a real room...

Thats like having 2, 859 people in a room watching two people argue, while eagarly awaiting the next comment.

I don't think it is actually. I don't think it's how many people have viewed the thread, I think it's how many times it has been viewed. The same people could be viewing the thread multiple times. I know feck all about vbulletin so I may be completely wrong.

I don't think it is actually. I don't think it's how many people have viewed the thread, I think it's how many times it has been viewed. The same people could be viewing the thread multiple times. I know feck all about vbulletin so I may be completely wrong.

Anyone else spending a ridiculous amount of time on here?. Almighty, you being a mod how long to you spend on here in the average week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think once you're logged on, no matter how many times you view something, it will be recorded as once. I too could be talking out my arse though. And AC knows about computerz and stuff, I... don't.

Mods count for 3 views, normal users cound for 2 views and unregistereds only count for one view.

I'm pr0 at vbulletin

Anyone else spending a ridiculous amount of time on here?. Almighty, you being a mod how long to you spend on here in the average week?

24/7 I get a quick break at around 3 when the backup happens but that only takes around 10 minutes now. That's barely enough time for a cup of tea and a kit kat. Gone are the days when the back up took half an hour and you could get a quick nap in before going back to work.
    Dudess wrote: »
    I think once you're logged on, no matter how many times you view something, it will be recorded as once. I too could be talking out my arse though. And AC knows about computerz and stuff, I... don't.

I think it records a view for people not logged in as well. But as above that's just an educated guess as well.* By the way, what the hell is a computer?

*Just because I say educated that does not make me intelligent. I am still a simpleton.

More to the point do any of you Mod's ever just think, jasus what am I doing this ****?. In fairness its an awful lot of hassle and a lot of time. In fairness if you guys put as much time in learning a new skill, you'd probably all be qualified doctors by now.....

If I was a mod I'd be looking for a renumeration package....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Feelgood banned in the name of science.

This is why I do it.

More to the point do any of you Mod's ever just think, jasus what am I doing this ****?. In fairness its an awful lot of hassle and a lot of time. In fairness if you guys put as much time in learning a new skill, you'd probably all be qualified doctors by now.....

I'd still be on here just as much if I wasn't a mod. The way I see it I may as well do something useful while I'm here. Plus the free coke and hookers are great.

I'd still be on here just as much if I wasn't a mod. The way I see it I may as well do something useful while I'm here. Plus the free coke and hookers are great.
    So...when are you going to start?

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote: »
    So...when are you going to start?

It's on my to do list along with many other things like yore ma ......eh............ Alright I've got nothing.

So anyways, whats the chances of me getting to ban someone....

Just to see what the all the fuss is about, I wanna feel the power dudes!!.

Couldn't you just let me ban some account that hasn't logged in for two years or something?

Ok, but you'll need to login in to a moderator account.
    Try: bubbles666
    Pass: password123

Post here if it does work...

/races off to snitch

So anyways, whats the chances of me getting to ban someone....

Just to see what the all the fuss is about, I wanna feel the power dudes!!.

Couldn't you just let me ban some account that hasn't logged in for two years or something?

Let me know who you want banned and I'll ban them from one of my forums for ya............for a price.

Let me know who you want banned and I'll ban them from one of my forums for ya............for a price.

Karoma and I'll give you 50p

Karoma and I'll give you 50p

Fair enough, who do you want banned?

Karoma wrote: »
    Ok, but you'll need to login in to a moderator account.
    Try: bubbles666
    Pass: password123

Post here if it does work...

/races off to snitch

Cheers Karoma....you the man......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 mazdafarl

Just say it. Mods are losers who have nothing better than to sit around on their computers all day unpaid being "respected" while its really just a compensation for the lack of authority and respect they hold in the real world.

mazdafarl wrote: »
    Just say it. Mods are losers who have nothing better than to sit around on their computers all day unpaid being "respected" while its really just a compensation for the lack of authority and respect they hold in the real world.

Jasus dude thats some savage post to come in with at 3:50am on a Sunday morning...fair play...

Although I would edit it quick or you'll not see 30 posts....

• Advertisement

Although I would edit it quick or you'll not see 30 posts....

You quoted the entire post, so there's not much point in them editing it now.
    You've just caused the poor thing to get banned... I hope you're happy with yourself!

tman wrote: »
    You quoted the entire post, so there's not much point in them editing it now.
    You've just caused the poor thing to get banned... I hope you're happy with yourself!

Haha deadly, **** sorry bout that young fla....

The auld braincells are in hibernation at this evil hour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

The Romans had gladiatorial spectacle. We've come so far...
    I say we haven't come far enough. We need an "arena" forum, where sitebanned or dodgy borderline cases like esteban can be given an option: accept your siteban or put up with all the abuse boards can hurl at you, with a poll on the top to say "let them back in" or "the lions", with the final thumbs up or down going to an admin.

Its got everything, howling mob rule, weeping gladiators being dragged off, all we need now is someone to email everyone a loaf of bread and we have a winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The way AMP does it ???

One of his mates complain and ..Pffffinggg....gone with no explanation!!!

Thats a good system!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its not conflict, its fun!.

Even when I get banned (from a few forums) or get warned its fun plotting my revenge on the offending Mod.

Usually its alone the lines of a gangland shooting, but more realistically its along the lines of meeting them at a boards.ie beer's, but since I never attend them everyone's safe :D

'Tis all fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I think it works more along the lines that the forum s/w logs every view of an updated thread and shows you the total. So for instance, I make a thread (0 views, doesn't count mine) someone replies and I open it to read reply, (2 views, mine and theirs), someone else replies, myself and second poster open to view (5 views, 2 previous plus mine, 2nd poster's and 3rd poster's) and so on. Now that's not strictly accurate since you may have some other people lurk/reading, but true for the most part.
    I only base this on watching the process in relatively slow forums.

That thread on that comedy thing on RTÉ2 is a good example, 240 posts, 12,700 views...I know boards is a large forum with a lot of users but I find it hard to believe that the thread has received neraly 13,000 individual viewings in less than 6 days. I think I have maybe 15 posts in that thread so I would have opened it that amout of times, plus maybe 20-25 more to read replies, so that's say 35 viewings of an updated thread by me alone...say the average for the people that contributed a lot to that thread was about 20 viewings, that totals at 5000 views, the other 6,700 would be readers who viewed the thread less times.
    As the thread builds cumulatively, the more posts it get's the many more views it gets...it grows sort of exponentially.
    Locked threads also somewhat prove my theory...if they're locked early before a lot of replies, then when other's come along to view (which they inevitably do, locked threads are always worth a read), they can only ever add 1 to the viewing figure, since the thread is no longer updating (unless a mod has posted after lock)...

I dunno, maybe it doesn't work like that...an admin might be able to put me right, but that would be my take.

SimpleSam06, I like that idea but it smells a little of democracy and this being the internet, is open to abuse. Might be a nice combo of prison and the thunderdome though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

young fla
    "Fla" means hot, sexy person in Corkage.

"Fla" means hot, sexy person in Corkage.

Yes Dudess in my ideal world everyones a hot, sexy person in Corkage....

The way AMP does it ???

One of his mates complain and ..Pffffinggg....gone with no explanation!!!

Thats a good system!!!

Pfft, that's stupid. Mods don't have friends.

Think my point has been proven here, 844 views in less than 24 hours!. We are all just a bunch of conflict loving mofo's!.

Funny thing is that I put a post up a few weeks about a so called Planet X - apparently a planet that was gonna to whipe out earth and kill us all in four years. (Didn't make that up, actually heard it from a few friends). Planet X survival guide

That thread got about 125 views in a week, so essentially if we are all going to die nobody gives a bollox but if theres a banning its like an early xmas present..man I love you guys...

Speaking of which -
    346 days, 1 hours and 31 minutes to christmas folks....what yis all getting for the other half?.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

Think my point has been proven here, 844 views in less than 24 hours!. We are all just a bunch of conflict loving mofo's!.

Funny thing is that I put a post up a few weeks about a so called Planet X - apparently a planet that was gonna to whipe our earth and kill us all in four years. (Didn't make that up, actually heard it from a few friends). Planet X survival guide

That thread got about 125 views in a week, so essentially if we are all going to die nobody gives a bollox but if theres a banning its like an earlier xmas present..man I love you guys...

Speaking of which -
    346 days, 1 hours and 31 minutes to christmas folks....what yis all getting for the other half?.:D

Same thing i got her last year.
    Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Well of course, if I contribute to an argument, or else read one, or else Estaban's stupid comments, of course I'm going to be back to read what sort of abuse estaban got. It brightens my day, just like a lamp does at nighttime.
    Same thing i got her last year.
    Nothing.
    Ah jaysus man, thats an awful coincidence! I'm getting mine the exact same thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Funny thing is that I put a post up a few weeks about a so called Planet X - apparently a planet that was gonna to whipe out earth and kill us all in four years. (Didn't make that up, actually heard it from a few friends). Planet X survival guide

That thread got about 125 views in a week, so essentially if we are all going to die nobody gives a bollox but if theres a banning its like an early xmas present..man I love you guys...

Speaking of which -

See my long winded post above, explaining why view counts get as high as they do. The reason your planet X thread got relatively low views is because few people replied (perhaps because it's a rather famous internet conspiracy/urban myth/end-of-the-world-is-nigh type topics that's been done to death)...the more replies, the more unique views of the whole thread.
    Your planet X thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055208893
    had 12 replies and 243 viewings...the fact that you placed it in the Astronomy forum, a relatively quiet forum compared to AH, didn't help, since it would have been better served in SciFi or Conspiracy, but either way, the time is irrelevant....this thread has 41 replies (42 after mine) and 962 views (I predict a figure of about 995 the next time it updates, or bfore someone else replies).
    My point is that it's not 962 individuals that have read this thread...more like ~80-100, going by the amount of people viewing the AH forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What?! Who got banned? whats this thread about? Are these my feet?

Advertisement