Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goldeneye canned

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Ah no!! Tis a sad day! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

EVERYONE SIGN THE PETITION!

Dont give up hope:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?XBGolden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

Honestly....I wish people would learn to spell before starting petitions....
    It makes the already small likelihood of MS taking notice, even smaller....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People should take off the rose tinted glasses. Goldeneye was a good game. Play it nowadays and it's an unplayable mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Calling it an unplayable mess is a little harsh! While in a nostalgic mood in a few months ago, I dusted off my N64. While it had aged quite a bit, I enjoyed it. An enhanced version with the 360 controller would be a little slice of Heaven...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People should take off the rose tinted glasses. Goldeneye was a good game. Play it nowadays and it's an unplayable mess.
    Retro, you've had it out for Goldeneye for a while now.... I'm beginning to think it's cause you sucked at it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had only really played it in multiplayer and only recently got to play the single player game properly. I thought it was absolutely awful although I can see just how much it pushed the genre forward for it's time. Multiplayer is still fun and always was but multiplayer FPS has moved on so much since then it's just an archaic relic of it's past glories.

And yes I am rubbish at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

goldeneye was great at the time, multiplayer still is.

begining to think rare just want to cash in on it now at this stage.

they had a total of like three great games (goldeneye/conkers/banjo kazooie) the rest were pretty forgetable in my books

Oh come on! Blast Corp is still an absolute blast and for me was by far the best thing rare made on the N64.

I'd rather see a new xbox live arcade version of blast corp than goldeneye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

blast corps was made by rare?

well pass me my hat and make me eat it. i honestly didn't know that. blast corps was an astonishing game.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I love the Banjo games.
    I'm really hoping Banjo 3 will be decent, however I doubt it given Rare's recent output.

Goldeneye is ok I guess. Featured the first FPS sniper rifle as far as I know.
    It wasn't even RARE that came up with it, but Shigeru Miyamoto.
    There ya go! He even made a huge contribution to the FPS genre.

All is forgiven Cremo. Reminds me that I have to finish the last few missions in that game.
    jayteecork wrote: »
    Goldeneye is ok I guess. Featured the first FPS sniper rifle as far as I know.
    It wasn't even RARE that came up with it, but Shigeru Miyamoto.
    There ya go! He even made a huge contribution to the FPS genre.

The little known and criminally underrated Outlaws by Lucas Arts got there first to my knowledge.

Wikipedia is inconclusive on this, Retro.
    The Outlaws article mentiosn nothing about a sniper rifle (in the wild west????) whereas the FPS article sort of credits Goldeneye with a sniper rifle, without explitically stating it were the first to have it. Conversely, Rare made a game called outlaws for the C64.
    This is taken from the Goldeneye 007 article:
    "Along with Shiny Entertainment's MDK, GoldenEye is credited with popularizing the video game convention of a zoomable sniper rifle, enabling players to kill oblivious enemies from vast distances away with a single, precise headshot; context-sensitive enemy hit-locations were also pioneered by the game."

I love Wikipedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

I had only really played it in multiplayer and only recently got to play the single player game properly. I thought it was absolutely awful although I can see just how much it pushed the genre forward for it's time. Multiplayer is still fun and always was but multiplayer FPS has moved on so much since then it's just an archaic relic of it's past glories.

And yes I am rubbish at it.

Multiplayer FPS hasn't moved on as much as you'd like to think....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Outlaws. Wow. That brings back some memories.

Not too pushed about GoldenEye. I loved it in the day but that was 10+ years ago. I don't want to tarnish those memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Really loved Goldeneye at the time. Four way multiplayer was a blast. One of the best games on the system imo.

Blast corps on the otherhand I found very very dull.

Wikipedia is inconclusive on this, Retro.
    The Outlaws article mentiosn nothing about a sniper rifle (in the wild west????) whereas the FPS article sort of credits Goldeneye with a sniper rifle, without explitically stating it were the first to have it. Conversely, Rare made a game called outlaws for the C64.
    This is taken from the Goldeneye 007 article:
    "Along with Shiny Entertainment's MDK, GoldenEye is credited with popularizing the video game convention of a zoomable sniper rifle, enabling players to kill oblivious enemies from vast distances away with a single, precise headshot; context-sensitive enemy hit-locations were also pioneered by the game."

Well I've played outlaws and it definitely came out before Goldeneye and it definitely had a sniper rifle in it. If the doc could have a sniper rifle in Back to the future 3 then any cowboy could :) Wikipedia is definitely not your best source of info since any tool can edit it and a game like Outlaws is not widely known.

MDK on the other hand, I'm not too sure if it came out before Outlaws but it definitely came out before Goldeneye. I'm pretty sure that there was other FPS games with scopes beforehand but they were quite obscure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

saw this on Major Nelson's twitter

* My inbox has a lot of 'Save Goldeneye' emails. I will be sure topass them on to the right people. about an hour ago

:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I never got to play Goldeneye back in the day, but finally got around to it briefly recently and the thing is almost unplayable. 3D games tend to age horribly. 2D games at least have the simplicity to run excellently on old hardware, but Im too used to modern 3D standards to go back to the basic engines.

Only the truly timeless games e.g. PS1 Final Fantasies, Mario or Zelda, can transcend improved technology and stand up today.

Wikipedia is definitely not your best source of info since any tool can edit it and a game like Outlaws is not widely known.

That's not true, Retro. I always use Wikipedia as my first choice when seeking information, much more so than google.
    It's probably the best site on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

MDK on the other hand, I'm not too sure if it came out before Outlaws but it definitely came out before Goldeneye.

I literally had a flashback there!
    I remember using the sniper mode on MDK and being absolutely amazed. Hadn't though about it in years.
    That's not true, Retro. I always use Wikipedia as my first choice when seeking information, much more so than google.

Ehm, you know anyone cam edit wikipedia, and a huge amount of article actually contradict themselves due to a number of people editing different paragraphs in the same article.

It's a great source of information but shouldn't be taken as fact, just like that salt o' the earth pensioner you get talking to in the pub.;)

A-Trak wrote: »

Ehm, you know anyone cam edit wikipedia, and a huge amount of article actually contradict themselves due to a number of people editing different paragraphs in the same article./QUOTE]

Nah. I didn't know that. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Goldeneye is /was an excellent game.

Jet Force Gemini is rares other masterpiece, mr pants :D

kdjac

Rare's best game is still Banjo Kazooie.
    It's hard to fathom how bad they're after getting mind.
    ****e, ****e, ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I never got to play Goldeneye back in the day, but finally got around to it briefly recently and the thing is almost unplayable. 3D games tend to age horribly. 2D games at least have the simplicity to run excellently on old hardware, but Im too used to modern 3D standards to go back to the basic engines.

Only the truly timeless games e.g. PS1 Final Fantasies, Mario or Zelda, can transcend improved technology and stand up today.

QFT.
    I downloaded Syphon Filter from the PSN last week, as I used to adore that game when it first came out.
    I wish that I'd saved the cash, as it's now a horrific looking unplayable mess...
    I can still go back and play classic sprite based games, but these attempts at a convincing 3D world are just painful to play these days...

tman wrote: »
    QFT.
    I downloaded Syphon Filter from the PSN last week, as I used to adore that game when it first came out.
    I wish that I'd saved the cash, as it's now a horrific looking unplayable mess...
    I can still go back and play classic sprite based games, but these attempts at a convincing 3D world are just painful to play these days...

I think the N64 suffers worse than the playstation in this regard. The low res textures and disregard for framerates doesn't hold up well these days. There's still some classics from the early 32-bit days but really it was an experimental era when developers were just getting used to 3D. Thats why I play my saturn more. Far more perfect 2D games than failed 3D experiments.
    jayteecork wrote:

According to wikipedia a few days ago my hometown was founded by a group of fishermen and paedophiles and is currently experiencing a plague of werewolves.

Wikipedia is the greatest curse for education. The amount of times I've seen lab reports copied verbatim from wikipedia is unbelievable and most even have the cheek to reference it.

A-Trak wrote: »
    I literally had a flashback there!
    I remember using the sniper mode on MDK and being absolutely amazed. Hadn't though about it in years.

Ehm, you know anyone cam edit wikipedia, and a huge amount of article actually contradict themselves due to a number of people editing different paragraphs in the same article.

It's a great source of information but shouldn't be taken as fact, just like that salt o' the earth pensioner you get talking to in the pub.;)
    Wow MKD - that was a strange game if I remember correctly. There was a dog in a plane for some reason!?

sprinkles wrote: »
    Wow MKD - that was a strange game if I remember correctly. There was a dog in a plane for some reason!?

The dog also had 6 arms :) It was quite an amusing game. The producer was Dave 'Earthworm Jim' Perry.

I remember playing it for a while in one of my mates houses - I found it way too confusing (only played it for a few minutes so didn't really give it much of a chance)

What was the purpose of the dog?

• Advertisement

Comedy value and to make the game that bit zanier if I remember correctly. I think you could play as him in a few levels or if you got a power up. He was definitely in the Sequel as a playable character, which funnily enough was developed by Bioware who aren't known for their action games :)

You should have given MDK a chance. It was a really great game if a little short. It felt like a cross between a western 3rd person action game and a japanese action game with some very good boss battles that would put some japanese developers to shame.

Advertisement