Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia maps question

Options
  • 13-01-2008 5:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭

Hey. Hoping someone here might know the answer to this. I'm making my way over to New Zealand next week equipped with my N95. Was just wondering will the GPS be able to show my position on the zoomed out globe map even if I don't have the maps for the particular country installed. Obviously I'll be downloading the NZ maps, but I'm talking about in the various places I'm stopping over at for a few hours here and there, or on the off chance that I'll be able to pick it up on the flight. Anyone ever tried this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yeah the GPS will show where you are even with no maps installed (that's what you are asking, right? :))

It wont give you an error or anything!

When you get to NZ it may take a while to position itself. Ya know how the N95 is GPS wise. It can be a slow cnut

You know about the nokia map installer app I assume? Save you using the data network to get maps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Ah, excellent. Thought it might have just showed my last position (the way it does when it's waiting for the satelites) until I got to somewhere I had maps for.

Have the map loader alright. Just didn't want to have to install a load of maps that I would only use the once.

Cheers for the speedy reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Yup can use GPS on planes (like laptops etc. only during flight not during takeoff and landing) but if you want it to actually work sit in a window seat so you can have line of sight to the sats. I did this with my garmin and worked well, poor thing was having a lot of trouble navigating to Las Vegas over the USA recalculating the route every 5 seconds :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Spankeh wrote: »
    You know about the nokia map installer app I assume? Save you using the data network to get maps

You know about the map loader alternative? No need to install anything, works with any operating system, and you can keep backups of your downloaded maps. http://nokiamaps.moo.no .

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

I updated the maps and now I have none at all - it loads up as normal but now nothing ie no roads on screen etc - any ideas?

• Advertisement
Advertisement