Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary shift work in dell

Options
  • 13-01-2008 6:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭

i was thinking of working in dell in the summer (temporary shift work).
    Does anyone know what its like to work there? whats the pay like, what are the shifts etc, or is it a horrible mundane repedative job that will drive you mad in a week??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

It's a horrible repetative job. The hours can vary also. Monday to Thursday 0730 to 1730 or 0800 to 1800. There are also a Friday Saturday Sunday shift which is three twelve hour shifts.

The starting pay is above the minimum wage, but not by much, maybe a euro or two above it.

People there can be very cliquey. Many of the people working there, even the ones working on the lines with you, will hang you if they can save dell a few extra pounds so that they can get the "I saved dell a mint" award and a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Lazers pew pew

i worked there for 18 months
    finished up in U.L in 2003, got an honors degree in Business, went to Dellfor a summer job and got stuck there for a year and a half
    I wouldnt recommend it, there's nothing worse than travelling in on that bus startin your shift at 7.30 in the evening and not finishing up until half 7 the next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I did some Dell time myself, probably the closest thing to a prison ive be in!! Still though if your not too picky about your work and you want to make some nice cash go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AF5081

Hey, my advice.....Stay away...as far away as possable. I work there (not a dell employee, an external contractor). I have first hand experiance of the dumbasses they really are. Eg: The line leaders/supervisors....80% of them are the thickest, ignorant a**wipes you will ever meet in your life (all recruited from withen up thru the 'ranks' with no experiance or training in the job they are supposed to do) - the attitude is one of - 'for the company at all costs' - irrigardless of who they stab in the back on the way. Thank god im not working for them but for an engineering consultancy........

Dunnes is the better option - without any doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

AF5081 wrote: »
    Hey, my advice.....Stay away...as far away as possable. I work there (not a dell employee, an external contractor). I have first hand experiance of the dumbasses they really are. Eg: The line leaders/supervisors....80% of them are the thickest, ignorant a**wipes you will ever meet in your life (all recruited from withen up thru the 'ranks' with no experiance or training in the job they are supposed to do) - the attitude is one of - 'for the company at all costs' - irrigardless of who they stab in the back on the way. Thank god im not working for them but for an engineering consultancy........

Dunnes is the better option - without any doubt

Stay well clear of Dunnes unless you want to be coming home after every day smelling of cat and dog food. Managers in Dunnes are just jumped up little schoolboys who get a power trip from wearing a suit. They haven't got the first clue about what they are doing so they lever all the sh1t jobs they get onto the employees and spend their time walking around trying to look important.

This also holds true in the most part for working in Dell. Arrogant little bastards who's faces are a dark shade of brown from kissing so much ass to get to where they are. I've done 3 spells in Dell and as the other poster said, the shifts can be an absolute nightmare. Of course it all depends on where that sprinkler test puts you. You could end up in build which is all target driven and can be quite draining over a 12 hour shift, or if you're seriously unlucky, you might end up stapling together boxes for 12 hours straight. Believe me, you'll have different ideas and targets for that staple gun after working 7.30pm to 7.30am.

• Advertisement

Yes I was a merchandiser for a while so I got a taste of all the supermarkets and their attitudes. I could not believe Dunnes,now maybe they were worse to merchandisers because we didnt work there officially, but I could not get over the attitude of the managers, serious problems. It was so bad that I left my merchandising job even though I was only in Dunnes an hour a day, I refused to work in there and loved all the other supermarkets so I had to leave the job anyway. But ive had friends work there that dont seem to have as much a problem. This was consistent throughout all the Dunnes branches. Anyway thats my rant. It kinda makes Dell seem ok lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Welcome to the real world.

Everytime you think your place of work is the worst in the world there is always a place out there 100 times worse. And believe me there are worse places than Dell.

Young people these days, they don't realise they are born! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

cheers for the opinions. im moving to canada in september so it might be a handy earner over the summer. do they allow you to listen to headphones??

dunnes would be a big no for me. a friend of mine worked there and got sacked for not smiling, they said her attitude didnt fit the dunnes image!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I worked in Hasbro in Waterford packing boxes when I was in college for five months. This was the most physically demanding thing I ever did. It was modern day slavery and that is not being melodramatic.It also had all the trappings of a factory ie cliques and all the rest of it.There was some lovely people there but there was a lot of gossip mongering and the usual ignorance you find among in factories.The money was crap and but I did have a well toned upper body at the end of it:D

When I left college I did a stint in Dunnes for five months.I thought it would be a relatively easy number compared to my previous job.I have to say that this was the worst five months of my life.The managers there were scum with absolutely zero people skills. There was kids there who started and were not paid for weeks because of the "tax man" not sending in their details:rolleyes:Same kids were unable to assert themselves. Backstabbing was rampant because of people trying to get the few good numbers (which there wasn't any) for themselves.You would go out in the evening to bring in the trolleys.Spend two hours doing this when you got back to clock out the managers would have locked up the store and you would not get in to clock out.After four months I literally used to go to work and turn around walk past the entrance and out the rear of the shopping centre and go to the early house.I was sacked eventually and this was the one of the best days of my life.It was literally a burden off my shoulders.Everone I knew said I looked happier afterwards.The day they suspended me they asked me to move a refrigeration unit with another guy.One of the huge units you see the dairy products in.They gave us a thing like a metal skate booard to balance it on.I dropped the unit on my toe and I was injured. I could have made a claim but the only reason I didn't was because they might not have sacked me if I did.

I work in Intel now and the conditions are quite good although I don't be whistling going into work every day I just have to think of Dunnes stores to apreciate it.I would suggest work anywhere including MacDonalds before Dunnes.I know **** all about Dell but I think there is an element of youthful naivety about what to expect in work,Most jobs are ****e even the skilled ones.My ex left her "all right" programming job to do well paid contract work.She used to be crying in my arms many evenings from the pressure.Even if you do get a good number there is a danger you get into a comfort zone not upskill or stay too long in a job and end up waiting for a redundancy that will never come.As one poster said.Welcome to the real world.However do yourself a favour and avoid Dunnes like its a dose of the clap.

bazz26 wrote: »

Everytime you think your place of work is the worst in the world there is always a place out there 100 times worse. And believe me there are worse places than Dell.

Im not sure though, Ive worked alot of jobs in my days and i think Dell is up there as one of the most soul destroying!, perhaps not physically hard though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did the dell thing after a redundancy to tide me over till I got a proper job. Despite coming from a job repairing notebooks / tech support I got the aforementioned job of box stapler. Hard job, scrapes all up and down my arms. On the plus side it was like weight training, I went up a shirt size in a month!

Come end of quarter I and the rest of the "unskilled" labour was let go. I pointed out my relevant experience (which I had helpfully written on my cv initially) and was rehired onto the server line a couple of days later.

Hard job, long hours. But that's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

The real world bites! good luck, keep trying til you find a job you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

worked in dell, laptop comes down copveyor belt, press button to bring in laptop scan barcode, apply correct stickers including windows license key double chexk stickers are straight and are correct ones by checking the screen infront of you, press button on conveyor belt, repeat 100+ times for an hour for 10-12 hours other wise you get a bollicking by some sad prick who thinks hes import with his ****ty clipboard which you would just like to shove down his throat, go for a break try to talk to polish people,cant speak english grand go outside chain smoke, go back start process all over, go home sleep all day/night depending wake up for a few hours go again, spend weekend dreading about going back drying to drown out those thoughts with alcohol, start over agiain repeat 365 days a year and again for a few more years untill you get the clip board and everyone calling you a wanker and depising you behind your back, working there has destroyed any chance i once had of stringing a single useful thought and appying it in the real world,which would explain my poor grammar, so yea apart from that go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

watsgone wrote: »
    The real world bites! good luck, keep trying til you find a job you like

I'm quite content in my current job.

And the OP is only looking for something temperary.

Cato wrote: »
    worked in dell, laptop comes down copveyor belt, press button to bring in laptop scan barcode, apply correct stickers including windows license key double chexk stickers are straight and are correct ones by checking the screen infront of you, press button on conveyor belt, repeat 100+ times for an hour for 10-12 hours other wise you get a bollicking by some sad prick who thinks hes import with his ****ty clipboard which you would just like to shove down his throat, go for a break try to talk to polish people,cant speak english grand go outside chain smoke, go back start process all over, go home sleep all day/night depending wake up for a few hours go again, spend weekend dreading about going back drying to drown out those thoughts with alcohol, start over agiain repeat 365 days a year and again for a few more years untill you get the clip board and everyone calling you a wanker and depising you behind your back, working there has destroyed any chance i once had of stringing a single useful thought and appying it in the real world,which would explain my poor grammar, so yea apart from that go for it.

LOL great post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It's great to hear all these other stories about Dell and Dunnes. I've been in Dell since June doing the weekend shift (7:30am-7:30pm Fri-Sun), in what was supposed to be just something for the summer. I was in kitting (basically taking parts out of a box to put them in a different box ad nauseam) on one of the notebook lines for a few months - mind numbing stuff but the part of the line I was pretty enclosed so I got to know everyone else pretty well and there were actually a few Irish people there. Every week I would ask my trainer if I'll be going into build (I was allegedly on some mystical "waiting list"), and in like September I eventually did - however the novelty soon wore off. OK, building laptops is a bit more mentally stimulating, but you're put under a lot pressure (unlike in kitting where you just had to be there) and it's a lot more tiring. It's now got to the stage where I can't remember what I just built, thinking about the food there makes me feel sick and at the end of the day I can't see 5 feet in front of me (two years ago I was told I didn't need glasses to drive!).

I'm so happy I'm getting out of that place in a couple of weeks - sure I'll be poor and jobless, but I'll have weekends again! I'm surprised they kept me on for so long. I only did overtime once in 7 months and I was out sick at least 5 times (I think that place was detrimental to my health), and I was never particularly cheerful or sociable towards the supervisors and line leads. If it wasn't for the few friends I made there, I would have left long ago.

But yeah, there are worse jobs, and thanks to standing for about 33 hours a week I now have rock-hard calves and I can wear my 32" jeans again :D They also seem to care somewhat about our wellbeing there - there's been three fires while I've been there (only one caused by spontaneously combusting laptop batteries!), and the place was evacuated promptly with no one injured etc.

I was also previously a merchandiser in Dunnes (mostly the old Jetland), and the managers were tools. I'd certainly recommend Dell over that place.
    do they allow you to listen to headphones??
    Yes, it's the only thing that keeps me sane there, plus it can be damn noisy depending on where you are. You'd want to be able to still hear the fire alarms though!
    Of course it all depends on where that sprinkler test puts you.
    I hear they're changing the sprinkler test because too many people know about it. However, like all the other rumours in Dell (like the ones about half days) it may be bollox.

Wow they fired me for taking one day off for my birthday i tried calling supervisor in the morning but bitch dident answer the phone, not that i care im glad i got the sack, there was a risk i might actually have forced myself to stay if it wasent the case, probably causing some sort of mental breakdown.

Rhino your going to canada? lucky bastard i was thinking of moving there the past 2 years now i cant for varios reasons, in hindsight i wish i did!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I work in dell and am laughing my arse off here reading all the comments. Bet everyone bitching is about 18 or so. Remember I came to dell from bar work..long hours ****e pay..came to dell..long hours great pay...basically tripled my wages by moving to dell :)
    As I alway say "Working for living is over-rated" but Dell is certainly not the worse of em..
    Dunnes is supposed to be a real bitch of a place to work though.

Free pr for Dell! yay always happy to help Dell anytime! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Grogg

Worked there on and off since I was 15..... I mean 16..... ahumm....

Last stint was about 2.5 years. The work on the lines has improved majorlly over the years. Its alot better than it was before. The health and safety in Ireland as a whole has had to change so the job is that bit easier.

Working on the lines is perfect IMO if you just want cash, limited responsibility and you can ignore managing knobs. Life is too short to take that work serious.

I'm with Mr.Fitt. Its a laugh as long as you make it a laugh. PMA!

OK, I'll never be going back to be honest cause I have served my sentence but it could be worse.

And Mr O'Rielly, don't get me started. He spends most of his waking life in a chair - lol

Take care all,

Grogg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

**** off the lot of ye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

i dink del is da gretest
    dey toot me te spelt

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Anyone here ever had the misfortune of working in Irish Express Cargo out in Raheen? (It's called Flextronics now). The worst job I EVER had. Ignorant, abusive team leaders/supervisors and people who like to use and abuse you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Dell, worked there for a year round 2000.
    I have to say, the work CAN be mundane(I was lucky enough to work on the extended test area.). The product builders and packers had a very mundane role.
    There were a lot of positives for me however.
    1. I personally thought the pay was excellent for the type of work that you did. Especially if you worked shifts and picked up the shift bonus. There was also ample opportunities for overtime. (If your main aim is to make money while not doing a whole lot, then this point is key)
    2. I had never even thought of a career in computers before working there. But troubleshooting issues/problems in the test area was something I liked. I went back to college after working there to get into computers and have worked my way up trough various organisations from Support Desk to Net Admin now. Good job, conditions and I love what I do. Without working in Dell I can honestly say I wouldnt be where I am now.
    3. The awards scheme they have is fantastic if you get in permanent. (Shares,Bonus and their awards for improving things) I dont think anyone was ever hung while I was there by someone else trying to get an award (These awards can be of benefit on a threadbare CV and for me were a talking point in any interview I did since - I got an award while I was there)

I've also worked in Dunnes. Dell is FAR better IMHO.
    It is what you make it and it wasnt something I would have liked to do all my life but the work is EASY, the pay is excellent for what you do and you can make friends in there as there tend to be a lot of temp students etc in there at the same time.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Worked in build there for a few months as I had to repeat half a year in college. Whatever about the work being extremely repetitive and the shifts being draining, what really got to me was the Americanised team-building crap that they constantly shoved down my throat. The whole place is plastered with posters with stereotypical motivational slogans and lots of fake smiling people.

During my first comms meeting (biweekly event of your line leader giving out crap to everyone because too many people put PCI cards in the wrong order - makes fcuk all difference), our line leader was away on holidays, so the lackey that was standing in for her uttered the words "Mrs. X is on holidays in New York this week. Work hard enough for dell and you will also be able to go to New York too". It was only my third day there and this type of bullsh1t was enough to give me the proverbial kick up the arse to work harder in college.

But as for the OPs question: If you are only planning on being there for the summer to make some quick cash, go for it. It's not the worst, but there are far better jobs out there. Try Vistakon, out towards Annacotty - the shift pattern is odd but the job is generally wayyy better (they expect you to use your brain!!!) and the pay kicks the arse out of anywhere else I worked for any summer.

edit -> About working for Vistakon... May not be a good idea if you are a smoker. All J&J companies implemented new health measures so you aren't allowed smoke during shift hours. It is banned on company grounds, and due to fire drill measures, you can't leave the premises either. Bring in some nicotine gum/tablets and you should be ok though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 n3gwave

hi, I am interested in working in dell as well, does anybody know if there's any way to apply for this job online, or is it only possible by going there in person and going throw all this silly interviews?:)

Call 1800490390,(i think) i still have the number in my mobile i cant beleive it!
    but i would tell you take a moment and consider other job options before you call that number! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Oh yeah, don't mention any past illnesses unless it is really necessary. When filling out a form, there was a big space to detail all these, and since it was looking pretty empty, I decided to mention a hernia operation when I was 4. They called me in for a 2nd medical just to ask about this for some stupid reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Call 1800490390,(i think) i still have the number in my mobile i cant beleive it!
    but i would tell you take a moment and consider other job options before you call that number! ;)

The number I used last year was 1890500221. You might be too late looking for a job there right now as the current contracts are up on the 1st February (i.e. they've probably already done interviews for new people). Temporary contracts are for 10 weeks I think.

I've also heard Vistakon is supposed to be a better place for work like this too. Any other places worth mentioning? Anyone know what it's like in Analog?

Advertisement