Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary shift work in dell

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Try Vistakon, out towards Annacotty - the shift pattern is odd but the job is generally wayyy better (they expect you to use your brain!!!) and the pay kicks the arse out of anywhere else I worked for any summer.

Did a summer there myself. The pay does kick ass indeed (were/are you in QC or on the lines).
    edit -> About working for Vistakon... May not be a good idea if you are a smoker. All J&J companies implemented new health measures so you aren't allowed smoke during shift hours. It is banned on company grounds, and due to fire drill measures, you can't leave the premises either. Bring in some nicotine gum/tablets and you should be ok though

****ers they finally did it. Ah unless something drastic has changed you can leave the premises during shift hours I did it plenty of times for lunch breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Anyone here ever had the misfortune of working in Irish Express Cargo out in Raheen? (It's called Flextronics now). The worst job I EVER had. Ignorant, abusive team leaders/supervisors and people who like to use and abuse you.

I thought they were nice enough, but then I was only working there for 45 minutes.

I also worked in EMF 3 a few months after it first opened, back then there was plenty of overtime.

I would say however, that if there is one thing worse than being a dell employee in a dell factory, then it would have to be a dell contractor in a dell factory. Where as Dell employees could chose if they wanted to stay back for overtime, certain contractors did not have that choice. You would be told at 1145 pm that they were staying back until 2am.

6-4 evening shifts were possibly the most soul destroying of the shifts. youre going home at 4 in the morning and in winter the roads could be deadly., at least if you were going home at eight there was a chance that they might have been gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

kippy wrote: »
    Dell, worked there for a year round 2000.
    I have to say, the work CAN be mundane(I was lucky enough to work on the extended test area.). The product builders and packers had a very mundane role.
    There were a lot of positives for me however.
    1. I personally thought the pay was excellent for the type of work that you did. Especially if you worked shifts and picked up the shift bonus. There was also ample opportunities for overtime. (If your main aim is to make money while not doing a whole lot, then this point is key)
    2. I had never even thought of a career in computers before working there. But troubleshooting issues/problems in the test area was something I liked. I went back to college after working there to get into computers and have worked my way up trough various organisations from Support Desk to Net Admin now. Good job, conditions and I love what I do. Without working in Dell I can honestly say I wouldnt be where I am now.
    3. The awards scheme they have is fantastic if you get in permanent. (Shares,Bonus and their awards for improving things) I dont think anyone was ever hung while I was there by someone else trying to get an award (These awards can be of benefit on a threadbare CV and for me were a talking point in any interview I did since - I got an award while I was there)

I've also worked in Dunnes. Dell is FAR better IMHO.
    It is what you make it and it wasnt something I would have liked to do all my life but the work is EASY, the pay is excellent for what you do and you can make friends in there as there tend to be a lot of temp students etc in there at the same time.
    Kippy

I worked there in 2000 as well, and not to take away from what youve achieved as youve went through college etc to get there also but back then there was a serious boom in the IT/computer industry and things were a bit different to now with regards to working somewhere like Dell. They were short staffed, high paying, brilliant hours if you wanted the cash, and mainly irish working there. This isnt a race issue i know, but it did make it easier to have a laugh and enjoy the job due to the basic ability to communicate with co workers

I dont know do they still do that 40% shift bonus but back then that was enough to keep me motivated.
    I do agree though, Dell is FAR better than dunnes but i wouldnt say the work is easy. Id rather a 12 hour shift of varied tough labour than a soul destroying shift of pushing keyboards into laptops for that lenght of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

zig wrote: »
    Id rather a 12 hour shift of varied tough labour than a soul destroying shift of pushing keyboards into laptops for that lenght of time.

QFT +1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

zig wrote: »
    Id rather a 12 hour shift of varied tough labour than a soul destroying shift of pushing keyboards into laptops for that lenght of time.

The keyboards are like the easiest part! You must have had it easy back then - nowadays some of the laptops now have up to 4 wireless cards, each with up to 3 crappy little antenna cables. The newer systems seem to be getting continuously more difficult to build, especially regarding crazy routing for said cables. On the latest sytems we got on our line (Inspiron 1525), the cables have to go from behind the LCD screen from both sides, across to the centre of the base, through a hole, and routed in an L shape to the wireless cards at the front. Compare this madness to some of the older systems where there's like 5cm of cable between the wireless card and the LCD. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

any idea how to get shift work in vistakon??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

RINO87 wrote: »

Drop a CV in to the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Is it just a summer job you are after ? between college years ? What are you studying? Or are you looking for full time permanent ?

summer job yeah, its either back to college or canada in september (dont know if i have a 4th year yet!) doing video and sound tech. its an electronic engineering course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

summer job yeah, its either back to college or canada in september (dont know if i have a 4th year yet!) doing video and sound tech. its an electronic engineering course

I would say go for it then, drop a CV in about March/April.

As long as you dont mind working every second weekend !

• Advertisement

ah shur aren't i doing that already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Anyone here ever had the misfortune of working in Irish Express Cargo out in Raheen? (It's called Flextronics now). The worst job I EVER had. Ignorant, abusive team leaders/supervisors and people who like to use and abuse you.

Nope, but sounds like I had a lucky escape! I was out of work 3 years ago and was sent there by an agency for an interview. Heard nothing since from the agency or the company...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Just want to add something here....

I think, it's not fair to compare working condition between DELL and Dunnes... coz these two company in different field of environment... DELL is a manufacturing sector and Dunnes in retailing sector...

You should compare Dunnes with Tesco, Lidl, Aldi... and Dell with Vistakon, Intel...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I thought they were nice enough, but then I was only working there for 45 minutes.

I also worked in EMF 3 a few months after it first opened, back then there was plenty of overtime.

I would say however, that if there is one thing worse than being a dell employee in a dell factory, then it would have to be a dell contractor in a dell factory. Where as Dell employees could chose if they wanted to stay back for overtime, certain contractors did not have that choice. You would be told at 1145 pm that they were staying back until 2am.

6-4 evening shifts were possibly the most soul destroying of the shifts. youre going home at 4 in the morning and in winter the roads could be deadly., at least if you were going home at eight there was a chance that they might have been gritted.

45 minutes? Count yourself lucky it was only that long. I had to go to a stress counsellor because of the sh!t I took in that place. My confidence and self-worth were at zero. Leaving it was the best thing I ever done.

Regards Dell contractors, IEC in Raheen was primarily a Dell warehouse so you could say that we were Dell contractors. There was nothing worse than coming in for a 4pm shift, only to be told at 11 that Dell were working till 4am so you had to stay for a 12-hour shift.

I spent a month as a temporary employee doing some work in EMF3. Wasn't too bad for the month to be honest. The lads I was working with were grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 blue too

This article was in the IRISH TIME YESTERDAY,
    Does it look like its coming to the end of the line for DELL in Ireland.

BUSINESS OPINION : FINALLY THE unspeakable has been spoken: Dell, the US computer giant that employs 4,500 people and accounts for something in the region of 6 per cent of Ireland's GNP, is on the way out the door and we better face up to it.

It is not going to happen overnight and it's not going to happen tomorrow, but it will happen.

The closure of the single biggest industrial concern in the country, with annual sales estimated at more than €10 billion, will send shockwaves through Limerick - where most of the jobs are - and beyond.

Whom do we have to thank for this unpalatable dose of realism? Is it the IDA, the Minister for Enterprise and Employment or even Dell itself?

No. The appalling vista was in fact unveiled last week by a Trinity College professor, Frank Barry, and his colleague from NUI Maynooth, Dr Chris Van Egeraat. It took the form of comments they made after presenting a paper accompanying the Economic and Social Research Institute spring quarterly which was released on Thursday.

The prediction is based on a comprehensive study of the demise of the hardware industry in Ireland, which in its heyday in the late 1990s assembled one in every three PCs sold in Europe.

Since then the industry has been in a steady decline, with 10,000, or about one third of the jobs in the sector, being lost in 2000-2004.

The report is littered with the names of once great computer companies that arrived in Ireland with a bang and left with a whimper: Gateway, AST and Digital, among others. And Dell is sure to join them.

The reason is simple - production has relocated to lower-cost centres in China and central and eastern Europe.

Dell has already set up a second European manufacturing plant at Lodz in Poland (managed by staff from Limerick) and clearly there is more to follow.

"I would be very sure Dell is on the way out of Ireland, given the trend in the sector," was how Prof Barry stated the obvious last week.

The good news, if that is the correct term, is that according to the report's authors, the impact of Dell upping sticks will not be as bad as you might think. They base this assertion on their study of what happened to the people who lost their jobs in other hardware operations that closed down.

The first point they make is that many of the hardware firms that pulled out were replaced by firms operating in related but higher technology segments.

In addition, many firms did not pull out entirely, but instead shifted their Irish operations from assembly into higher value added, non-manufacturing functions such as sales and technical support.

Some 1,000 plus of the people employed by Dell in Ireland are involved in such functions and these jobs would not necessarily follow the assembly jobs out the door.

Prof Barry and Dr Van Egeraat go so far as to conclude that people who lost their jobs when hardware makers shut down found work elsewhere relatively easily, many of them in services industries linked to the technology sector. One company they looked at in some detail was Gateway, which shut up shop in 2001 with the loss of some 650 jobs, of which 400 where in manufacturing.

Some 150 technical support staff transferred to the company which took over the job of providing technical support to Gateway customers, while a quarter of the staff were reported to have found jobs before the plant closed as a result of outplacement initiatives.

Another 250 or were said to have found work within months after a small amount of retraining.

The balance was accounted for by overseas staff - mainly from Europe - returning home and then younger Irish staff taking time off to travel and so forth.

However, the authors did point put that production line operatives who tend not to have tertiary level educational qualifications, fared less well.

Another important caveat put in by the two authors was that the economy's ability to absorb 10,000 people who lost their jobs in computer hardware was linked to the sustained economic boom that has just come to an abrupt end.

An assembly line worker in Dell in Limerick might not be so lucky as the staff at Gateway.

A more useful parallel, which was also looked at in some detail, was the closure of Digital Electronics Corporation (DEC) in Galway in the early 1990s. It employed 1,700 people and contributed £100 million to the local economy.

As a result, the closure of its manufacturing operations with the loss of 760 jobs generated the sort of headlines that can be expected when the axe falls at Dell in Limerick.

However even then, according to Prof Barry and Dr Van Egeraat, employment at DEC had grown back up to 1,400 by 1998, mostly in software and administrative jobs.

In addition, various initiatives put in place and informal networks among former Digital staff all played a part in the ongoing transformation of the local economy and the emergence of Galway as a leading European medical instruments cluster.

It will be a black day when they hand out the P45s at Dell, but it does not have to be the end of the world.

Pure speculation. It's likely they won't be here forever but they're not leaving any time soon. When I left Dell there was only one line running in Lodz - it's going to take years for that place to start outputting the same kind of numbers as we are. And EMFP in Lodz was built as an addition to EMF3 in Limerick - not as a replacement. They need the extra plant because of new emerging markets in Eastern Europe and Asia and rapidly increasing sales of laptops worldwide. They're going to need to build yet another manufacturing facility somewhere else as well as Lodz to replace EMF3.

Also, they have invested lots in replacing and adding new lines in EMF3 recently - they're assembling most LCDs for the laptops within EMF3 (they used to be assembled by Sercom) now, for example. It would be a waste of money to close down soon after all this development...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Doc47

Ya....Bet he's got a great BROWN tan !!!!!!!!!

jonees you still think the same another load of workers on the way out, this time complusory redundancies!!!! IT in Limerick is been cut yet again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

(a) cuts are mainly in Dublin (with some in Limerick)
    (b) cuts are marketing, sales and support

Yeah it's worldwide restructuring just like they did last year. It bares little relation to manufacturing output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I imagine of the 50 redundancies in Limerick, about 25 already have a job lined up and the rest will be in a position to relax and shift a few years off the mortgage.

I guarantee you'll be seeing ads in the Leader within weeks advertising for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote: »
    I imagine of the 50 redundancies in Limerick, about 25 already have a job lined up and the rest will be in a position to relax and shift a few years off the mortgage.

I guarantee you'll be seeing ads in the Leader within weeks advertising for staff.

I don't know where your getting your info from but its inaccurate.

Most people I know that lost their jobs today are from all walks of life, some young just started paying mortgages while others have been with the company for a decade or more. To suggest they will have other jobs lined up or will walk straight into them is just silly.

One of the problems is that this country is no longer as competitive in the global market as it was before due to high living and labour costs, we also rely too much on multi-nationals these days both directly and indirectly, the day the likes of Dell and other large multi-nationals pull completely out of Ireland edges closer and closer and will have a devastating impact on our economy as a whole.

As for seeing ads in the Leader in the next few weeks, the people left go today were from Sales, Finance, Marketing and IT. You will not see these jobs being back filled or readvertised. The only jobs advertised are within the direct manufacturing area.

I still don't think this is any hint that Dell are moving out of Ireland any time soon - the redundancies were worldwide. There's an entire call centre (1100 jobs) in Canada closing down, for example. They've invested too much in EMF3 recently, and at the end of the day we still have a very skilled workforce.

The problem with Dell is they haven't been doing too great recently, due to competition from HP et al and whatever else. Also the state of the US dollar is not helping things at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

maybe if they fixed up their adaptors and batterys they might have better sales!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Well there still hiring for manufacturing anyway, had an interview this morning.

Well there still hiring for manufacturing anyway, had an interview this morning.

The Manufacturing jobs in that place are low skilled brain dead work for the most part. There is a large minority of this type of work is done by people hired in from Eastern Europe. This jobs they are advertising are temporary low skilled roles for small money in irish terms

Dell has already moved its whole finance function to Bratislava.

IT in Limerick has been downsized totally and they are no longer hiring people in Ireland for IT. If an IT person is needed they are hirling in Malaysia or Brazil. Basically as people leave they are not replaced.

This is also happening in other areas.

Yes they will not be moving the Manufacturing anytime in the short term. But the better quality jobs that support it are been moved out of Ireland and there are no headlines on this.

Please wake up it is slow strangulation that seems to be happening.
    Hopefully once they have sorted out there so called problems and the slave master that the shareholder is happy. Things might improve. But this will not happen in the short term.

You will see more high skilled job cuts within 12 months once they have structures in place in ASIA to replace the people in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

And the answer is up skill, up skill, up skill. if you aren't completing a course/program/initiative every 6 months you are basically biding your time for redundancy. And when you are let go you will be back in the real world. in the real world canteens aren't subsidized and you pay for any education you want yourself. Places like dell have been great for those that went out and earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

yankinlk wrote: »
    And the answer is up skill, up skill, up skill. if you aren't completing a course/program/initiative every 6 months you are basically biding your time for redundancy. And when you are let go you will be back in the real world. in the real world canteens aren't subsidized and you pay for any education you want yourself. Places like dell have been great for those that went out and earned it.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I still don't think this is any hint that Dell are moving out of Ireland any time soon - the redundancies were worldwide. There's an entire call centre (1100 jobs) in Canada closing down, for example. They've invested too much in EMF3 recently, and at the end of the day we still have a very skilled workforce.

The problem with Dell is they haven't been doing too great recently, due to competition from HP et al and whatever else. Also the state of the US dollar is not helping things at all.
    Yeah it's worldwide restructuring just like they did last year. It bares little relation to manufacturing output.
    Mr E wrote: »
    (a) cuts are mainly in Dublin (with some in Limerick)
    (b) cuts are marketing, sales and support
    Pure speculation. It's likely they won't be here forever but they're not leaving any time soon. When I left Dell there was only one line running in Lodz - it's going to take years for that place to start outputting the same kind of numbers as we are. And EMFP in Lodz was built as an addition to EMF3 in Limerick - not as a replacement. They need the extra plant because of new emerging markets in Eastern Europe and Asia and rapidly increasing sales of laptops worldwide. They're going to need to build yet another manufacturing facility somewhere else as well as Lodz to replace EMF3.

Also, they have invested lots in replacing and adding new lines in EMF3 recently - they're assembling most LCDs for the laptops within EMF3 (they used to be assembled by Sercom) now, for example. It would be a waste of money to close down soon after all this development...

Disgraceful posts. How dare you come onto boards.ie and post acurate, truthful, factual comments like this to make a point! What a disgrace! Do you not realise that only emotional, narrow minded, off the cuff remarks are allowed on these boards?????

But seriously, fair play to ye for posting accurate comments. Unfortunately, these things rarely get through to people. People want to believe the worst. Want to believe that big brother is out to get them. People in general only seek information to reinforce their preconcieved notions. Information that tells them they were right all along. So posts like yours rarely change peoples minds unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

OP might want to consider a job in bulmers factoy in Clonmel heard there was a few openings alright, and from recent pr videos ive seen its mighty craic! a chance to earn money learn new skills and drift forklifts and rap people up in plastic! beats drwing graffiti on those conveyor trays anyday!

Advertisement