Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch the ice!

Options
  • 13-01-2008 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭

Just a warning to fellow cyclists to watch out for the ice on these frosty mornings. I came off the bike on Friday morning, having come down a short, steep hill and attempted a right turn. My wheels slipped out from under me, and I went sliding across the path on my belly.

Fortunately, I escaped with some ugly grazes on my chin and one knee. I thought that I had broken a bone in my hand, but having spent Friday at A&E, an x-ray proved otherwise. It took me quite some time to work out why my front wheel was locked up when I got my bike back up. It turned out that the wheel had gone through 360 degrees, and the stretched brake cable was locking the wheel.

Anyway, learn a lesson from my lack of caution. I had been thinking about the frost as I started off my journey, but I didn't adjust my riding style accordingly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

Ouch sounds nasty. I nearly slipped yesterday and I was only walking! My bike is in my shed at the moment awaiting repair...pedal needs fixing but I jsut havernt got the time yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Came off last Sunday morning, at the bottom of my driveway. Disgusted ! However last week one of the Comeragh CC guys came off and broke a hip. Not a good start to the new year - best wishes to Eamonn on a quick recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

I went to work last friday week when the ice was covered by a sprinkle of rain. Caused havox.

I had a the temp gauge with me on the bike and the car was well frozen over. Tyres were at 60psi rather than 110 for extra grip. nearly ran into trouble crossing a very raised yellow line. Fortunate to keep the balance. I make out that all my bad luck was in October/November when I fell off 3 times in 3 weeks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Luckily I've only come off my bike twice due to ice in the last 10-15 years :)

hope your ok man,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

YOu can change your route to one with few turns. Also the roads are usually better melted than the cycle tracks, and if you are turning it is better done on grass verges,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Had a similar experience last Friday morning. Crawled along some very icy stretches of the Phoenix Park, all very careful, then the wheels went from under me on a hill 100 metres from work. Just a few grazes but it's not nice sitting in the middle of the road wondering what happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If there's even a hint of ice on the road I get off and walk. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Cabaal wrote: »
    hope your ok man,
    OK thanks - Just trying to work out how to shave over/around some fairly ugly scabs on my chin!

Advertisement