Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture Packaging

Options
  • 13-01-2008 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Had part of a suite delivered. All went well. When the delivery truck had gone, my wife found all the plastic bubble wrap, carboard packaging, and lots of plastic wrapping in general, around the side of our house. They never mentioned this. Would be a full wheelie bin full, if we could squash it in.
    Can I bring the packaging back to the shop, with my receipt, and ask them to take it back? It's a bit of a drive, but I can combine it with other stuff.
    I don't want to get all this into the car, out of the car, in through the shop doors, up to their lovely sales desk, and then find out they do not have to take it back.
    I thought they did, but my mother had a washing machine delivered last week, and the delivery guys would not take back the packaging, and claimed the shop policy was not to take it back. Different shop to my problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

What shop is it? Are they a member of Repak?
    If not, they must accept the packaging by law.

More info here:

http://www.repak.ie/frequently_asked_questions.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

repak is just shopkeepers way of buying their way out of looking after the environment leaving the burden on everyone else imho but on topic report the delivery guys to your local council as this is illegal dumping on your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭JohnC.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    report the delivery guys to your local council as this is illegal dumping on your property.

Is it illegal dumping when it is packaging from items he has purchased?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Your waste buddy, you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

To be fair, I only bought the suite in the shop, not all the stuff that they require to ensure it arrives to my house, as displayed in the shop.
    When I checked the T+C on the delivery docket, it advises they will unpack it, but I am responsible for he packaging, so I don't have a leg to stand on.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Waste Management Acts 1996 and 2001

The majority of Ireland’s waste legislation originates from the Waste Management Acts 1996 and 2001, as well as the Protection of the Environment Act, 2003. These primary pieces of national waste legislation allow for the enactment of statutory instruments (also referred to as regulations) to give effect to specific sections of the Acts.

Waste Management (Packaging Regulations), 2003

In 2003 the government enacted what are commonly referred to as the Packaging Regulations, which give effect to Directive 94/62/EC on Packaging and Packaging Waste. These regulations replaced the Packaging Regulations of 1997.

The Packaging Regulations place particular obligations on major producers of packaging, i.e. businesses with an annual turnover in excess of €1.27 million and placing more than 25 tonnes of packaging onto the Irish market. Major producers must either register with a packaging compliance scheme, i.e. Repak, and pay an annual material specific fee for packaging placed onto the Irish market, or self-comply through registering with their local authority and accepting packaging waste back from the public similar to that which is supplied onto the market.
    In addition, the Packaging Regulations require all commercial premises to segregate 7 specified packaging wastes and send for recycling with an authorised waste collector. Those specified packaging wastes are aluminium, fibreboard, glass, paper, plastic sheeting, steel and wood.

The Packaging Regulations also specify what is known as the Essential Requirements of packaging. These requirements are designed to minimise the environmental impact of packaging.

Packaging Regulations, 2003
    Info Guide to Packaging Regulations, 2003
    Essential Requirements of Packaging

The Waste Management (Packaging) (Amendment) Regulations, 2004

In late 2004 the government enacted the Packaging (Amendment) Regulations. They amend the Packaging Regulations of 2003. As far as Repak members are concerned, the main change is the requirement that compliance notices must now be clearly displayed at each entrance to each premise, whereas in the past they only had to be displayed at each entrance to which the public had access. Self-compliers must now also clearly display signs at each entrance to each premise indicating their packaging take back obligations.

Other amendments include a requirement on self compliers to advertise twice annually in local newspapers their take back obligations, to accept packaging waste back from the public during normal working hours, and an increase in the maximum annual self-compliance registration fee from €5,000 to €15,000 per premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Wasnt it Curry's that even advertised on tv saying they even take the packaging back with them after delivery? This tells me they dont have to...

I have done deliviries in the past (other country) and always left boxes and stuff at the customer.
    After all, people dont leave the cans in the shop either when they buy baked beans.

Advertisement