Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Maintenance costs of say Fabia 1.2 Petrol 16 Valve versus 1.9 TDI Octavia

Options
  • 13-01-2008 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Someone told me - Oh a Diesel costs way more to service, air filters etc – this true?
    And also if something goes wrong its way more as well.

Im going to be using it 70% in city, but Im thinking Diesel is a better option as the engines are better and will last longer.

If the difference in maintenance is 20% more but the car lasts longer and fuel consumption is more or less the same (I will do 200 miles approx per week) I will go Diesel.

BHP - Is there a big difference in the TDIs. Like are any of the BHPs way under powered for this model. Might be getting a 2000 / 2001 version.

Anyone any comments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Yes they do cost more to service but not that much. As you said probably 20-25% more than petrol engines, (for diesel you don't need spark-plugs so it seems to be close enough).

In the long run you are better off with the diesel engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Used diesel saloons and superminis are the poorest value for money in the car market. A lot does depend on your budget.

If you are talking about spending 5k-10k on your car and you want to do 200 miles per week, you will overspend up front to get the diesel equivalent and may never make the difference back on the fuel saving. A diesel will be heavy around town as well.

If you want to spend less on the purchase you will probably end up with a high miler TDi. Diesels will inevitably drop in value to a certain extent as the prices of their younger siblings drop in July. Maybe you should wait until then if you want the best bang for your buck, but I suspect older diesels might still remain overpriced.

As regards the maintenance issue, IMO it comes down to something a friend said to me the other day- nobody owes you a reliable car ie, you can't escape the risk if you're on a lower budget. Marginally lower day to day running and maintenance costs are fine if you haven't absolutely blown the bank to buy it in the first place.

If you are not leading with your heart, I'd suggest that the smart money is buying something like this http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=864858 put the money saved in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

cantdecide wrote: »
    If you are not leading with your heart, I'd suggest that the smart money is buying something like this http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=864858 put the money saved in the bank.

an old vectra for €3600? You heart and head must be broken! Parts for those opels can be a bit expensive, and they aren't terribly reliable either from my experience. I'd buy a mondeo first, and you would pick up a tidy 1.8 LX for very handy money now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

In terms of MPG, the Octavia will average about 54 on a combined cycle. The Fabia will get you around 46.

The performance difference between a 1.2 Fabia and the Octavia is quite big, with 0-60 a few seconds faster & higher top speed.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/models/Models.aspx?manu=10172

If it were me, i'd get a 110bhp+ model, and also I'd consider a 110bhp Seat Toledo (i think it has the same engine) which is also 54 mpg, and has got a decent amount of power for overtaking.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=777728

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isn't the Fabia 1.2 a 3 cylinder, how do you distribute the 16 valves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

colm_mcm > Fabia Im not sure valve wise.

Really I need to know if Diesel 1.9 tdi is a good idea versus a petrol.
    Say even a Honda Accord

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The VW 1.2 engine usually either 6 valve or 12 valve.

Diesel is almost without exception lighter on fuel than petrol, servicing should cost roughly the same.

Are you looking at new or used cars, what's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

maidhc wrote: »
    an old vectra for €3600? You heart and head must be broken! Parts for those opels can be a bit expensive, and they aren't terribly reliable either from my experience. I'd buy a mondeo first, and you would pick up a tidy 1.8 LX for very handy money now.

Would agree 100%. Those Vectras are terrible. I bought one new and it was complete rubbish. Poor build quality, terribly unreliable, poor fuel economy and savage depreciation. They are cheap these days for a reason. False economy in my opinion.

Advertisement