Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you bargain down a charge

• 13-01-2008 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

If one were to be facing fairly serious charges, far more serious than you believes is reasonable for any indiscressions which may have been committed, could one bargain with the guards to reduce the seriousness of the charges in return for a guilty plea?

I ask this because it all looks very cool on American TV shows, but is it practiced in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The only charge that I know of that can be bargained down is Dangerous Driving to Careless driving. I don't know if they are any others like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

happens all the time,

Somone is charged with a s. 3 and s. 15 of the misuse of drugs act (possession and possession with intent to supply), its common in district court to go to prosecuting garda and say look, well plead guilty wo the s. 3 because we know we can't win on that one if you agress to dismiss the s. 15 as it'd be near impossible for you to prove that and itd be saving everyones time.

It all depends on the circumstances of the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The thing is can a charge be bargained down to a charge not on the charge sheet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

In some charges the statute provides for an alternative verdict. Thus if charge A is laid the court can, on the evidence, find the defendant guilty on charge B instead. Quite often the defence may offer the prosecution a guilty plea to a lesser charge. The prosecution may accept rather than run the risk of failing to prove the more serious charge.famously the killers of Det. Garda Mc Cabe offered to plead guilty to manslaughter rather than murder and the prosecution agreed to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Yes.

Many charges can be "bargained" down as explained above.

Don't worry about what you see on American TV ! Whilst it may be reflective of what goes on some American prosecutors love to "overcharge" defendants with a view to intimidating them in to pleading to a lesser charge. It is a particularly good tactic in cases where the prosecutor can seek the death penalty !!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I don't think there is any legal basis for it here (its entirely at the prosecution's discretion) but it does happen all the time in practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

That is good to hear... hypothetically of course (and for my... friend)

Advertisement