Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pup - how to train?

Options
  • 13-01-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

we got a new pup last week - 11 weeks old now
    I have read up on a few bits and searched through the the forum and see the various methods we are thinking of trying the crate method but are looking for some clarification. At the moment we have established that shortly before going to toilet she gets agitated and goes to the patio door scratches etc - great we thought so later last week we started bringing her into backgarden when this happens, but when we bring her out nothing, then shorty after coming back in shes goes toilet, yesterday we left her out for over an hour and still upon return went to toilet
    we've restricted the feeding before bed etc and tomorrow will try strictly adhere to crate method but the one i read talks about bringing dog out every hour she goes toilet approx 6 times per day so surely every hr is too often ?
    because if she fails to go toilet i am supposed to repeat every 20 min untill success going by yesterday i'll be out evey 20min all day save a few hrs

i'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a crate or other method they'd success with the dog will be in company most of the time every day

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The "trick" is to praise her like mad if and when she does it outside (and to say nothing when she does it inside)

She's halfway there already, as she wants to go outside to do it.

The problem is the weather :D

Imagine, you're nice, warm and comfy and you need to go and your toilet is at 0 deg, with a howling gale, sogging wet and possibly pitch dark as well...you couldn't either, could you ? You'd also clamp up, wouldn't you?

As soon as she gets in again, she relaxes again and that's when the accident happens.

Just keep at it, let her out when she wants to, make sure to praise her like mad if she actually does her business outside (she will eventually)

In the meantime, to get the message across, when she does go inside, scoop her up while she's at it and put her out (in as friendly a way as possible ...so don't frighten her) and if she manages to squeeze out the last three drops outside, praise her like mad for those !

Do not comment (positively or negatively) on any inside mishaps, just clean them up quietly.

In my reckoning it's just a matter of a few more days before she'll get there.

No need for crate training IMO, unless you want to introduce the crate for other reasons as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

As the previous poster said, it sounds like you're nearly there with the toilet training.

We found the crate worked very well for keeping the pup contained when not in company - this included nights - as he sleeps in the kitchen which provided a lot of opportunity for destruction! He went in there when we were not in the room with him and went in voluntarily as it provides a sense of security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Sounds like there's a problem with the pup realising that outdoors is thetoilet.
    A bit of pee soaked newspaper(puppy's own) placed outside where it can smell it might give it the idea.Works with mine.

Advertisement