Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce yourself & your "reason" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Hi, I have never drank and nor do I plan on ever starting. I'm nearly 19 and I'm going to UCD. My real reason for not drinking is personal but otherwise I think it's a waste of money and time. I enjoy nights out without having to drink and I can have a good time too! I hate the Irish drinking culture and enjoy reading this forum. I was never really into the club/pub scene either as I much prefer concerts and gigs. I really can't understand how people can finance this habit. I have no problem with people who drink and I get on very well with them. Most people I meet don't care whether I drink or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Hi, I have never drank, nor do I intend to start, reasons are personal, but also think its a bit of a waste of money, and the day after aint something I really want to experience, i can have a good nite out with out it so I dont really see the point, but man I'm sick of the people who almost look down on me for not drinking and the little drunk muppet looking to fight the big guy, I mean jasus leave me alone like!!!

anyway, good to be here!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Frankygolucky

Hi ,I quit drinking five weeks ago .I was binge drinking a lot and it was starting to affect My mental health as well as making Me ill. I intend to stay off the drink and play a lot more poker now as I have more focus and concentration and I know I can beat the game sober.Poker is social and recreational and so long as You know what You are doing doesn`t cost You anything..........quite the opposite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

my reasons(have given up 3 weeks ago, a struggle but i intend to stick to it)

alcoholism in the family
    started to develop alcohlic tendencies myself
    work suffered
    sporting performance suffered
    didnt like the person i became while drunk
    drove away the most amazing girl in the world because of drink
    the fcuking price of it
    hangovers

there you go pick one :) every time i think of taking another drink i look at this list and suddenly i dont feel like it anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

I have drank all that I can, mentally and physically. There is only so long you can go on waking up hating who you are and what you've done the night before and I've reached my limit, so I'm done with it. I just hope I can manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Best of luck Goddess, I wish you all the best!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

sorry created this in the wrong place - deleted and moved

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I gave up last March, 5 months after being diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and after finally admitting to myself that alcohol and caffeine are two definte 'triggers' for me. TBH I found it really tough initially as I've never been very outgoing and always found a little social lubrication made my nights out much more enjoyable. I still find it difficult to go to the pub/niteclub but find playing pub poker (like the writer above) a nice substitute for the regular night out.

Other than that it's been a massive blessing in disguise. I'm so happy have a life now that is hangover and muddle-mind free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Nice post, couldnt agree more.
    Best of luck with staying off it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I'm not sure why i never started drinking... I'll have the odd drink now and then. No more than single glass of wine or a small hot whiskey, that sort of thing and even that is rare.
    As a kid I was always allowed/offered a taste of things the grown ups were drinking so i wasn't really curious. I didn't take the pledge but then didn't drink as a teenager anyway whilst most of the people around me did.

I got through secondary school with out drinking but happily went knacker drinking with people. One night one lad was on some antibiotics and didn't drink. He was standing there watching everyone and asked me why i bothered to come out with them, he was so bored with out the drink.

For a little while in school people would try to get me to drink and i'd just say no. I got some abuse for a while but once they got use to the idea that I didn't drink i had some of the heavy drinkers tell strangers to cop on when the started to give me grief for not drinking.
    After that it probably would have been harder to start drinking :)

Alcohol tastes like a poison. Almost Anything with alcohol in it tastes nasty. It is an acquired taste that I have no interest in acquiring.

My one regret is wine. I was out somewhere and was given wine which I drank... It was i'm told by others around me awfull. But to my uneducated taste buds pretty much the same as any other wine, that is to say it mostly tasted of alcohol. Then later I was at a wedding with the same people and everyone said the wine there was lovely. But to me it tasted about the same.

What really annoys me is when i do have a drink and suddenly it's a massive big deal and people are standing round me with big grins and a stage whisper runs through the room, "Chris is Drinking!".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Wow Kiffer, that's seems very similar to my situation! I was a complete teetotaler until my early 20's. I only really ever drink at Christmas, and even then it's just a glass of wine or baileys. And as with you, people make a big deal out of it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Skalicious

Hi All,
    Just a quick intro, I’m 38 years of age and I gave up the alcohol 5 years ago. Best thing I could have ever done. I drank only at the weekends with the usual suspects. Would binge drink until the Sunday and the guilt of it all would hit me big time at the start of the following week if I surfaced. Life was going by so quickly.
    I found it very difficult to hold down a full time job. My life felt like it was in tatters, they where serious grey days. The drink scene today is so sloppy, I cannot stand the pub scene and the way people act when they get their fill.
    I started going to a few AA meetings which where great at the time, have not been to as many this year as I believe I need to move on and have a bit of fun in my life (sober).
    Best of luck;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

kiffer wrote: »

What really annoys me is when i do have a drink and suddenly it's a massive big deal and people are standing round me with big grins and a stage whisper runs through the room, "Chris is Drinking!".

i know that wierd though isn't it what's that about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I stopped drinking a month ago- best decision I've made in a long time.
    I need to focus on studying. There's nothing worse than attempting to study with a hangover.
    Aside from that, I quit for health reasons. Not that it was impacting me in any noticeable way at the mo, but we're all aware of the harm it can do- both mental and physical.
    Also, it's too expensive.
    And I tend to act like an idiot when drunk so... drunk bythewoods shall be no more (Y)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jeanie77

Hey Im new to boards.ie trying to get a handle on this anyway, I am not a non drinker but I dont drink half as much as I used to in College, which when i think back on it i cringe at what I got up to.
    I am lucky that I had the sense to realise that it was not good for me, however I do feel there is a lot men and women with serious problems in this country, even where I work all people talk about is how drunk they got on nights out what they did, I find it all very boring to be honest, I am even dreading my christmas party this year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dockfive

I started drinking from the age of 17. I have to admit when I was younger it was a lot of fun and it was the culture so you just went with the flow. Never really minded hangovers all that much, always saw them as a sign of a good night out and also didn't really do all that much at the weekend so a day in the horrors at home was no loss to me.

The law of diminishing returns kicked in however as I started to progress throughout my twenties, just wasn't providing the same amount of fun as it was at the beginning. Really not liking the things I did and said when I was drunk. Also went to Australia for a few years and discovered that there was so much to do at the weekend also at this time thankfully got a girlfriend/now fiance who wasn't into drinking and introduced me (slowly and reluctantly on my part) to activities that weren't drink related.

Nonetheless kept drinking but just really was getting nothing from it in the last few years. Was out last Christmas and got particularly drunk and just wasn't enjoying the night so made a New Years resolution to give up the booze and have kept it (more or less apart from the odd glass of wine with dinner).

Feel so much better on a Monday and in general since I have given up. Currently training to do a marathon and never felt heathier.

Have just moved back to Ireland and can see why it would be difficult to get out of the habit. People I used to drink with in Ireland before I left are incredulous that anyone could get by w/o drinking. I suppose they are especially surprised to see me do it since I used to be a bit of a p*sshead. Maybe I will get shouted down for suggesting this but I think the Irish weather mitigates against fostering an acceptance of non drinkers - its just easier to go to the pub than to do something outdoors. I not one of these "zeal of the convert" type people who rage against the stupidity of drinkers, Its quite nice sometimes to sit in the pub for a few hours and have a chat and watch sport it can just be quite difficult when you aren't drinking.

Anyway hope I haven't rambled too much. To distill my point (if you'll pardon the pun), enjoyed drink in the youth of me but there is life after drink and it's a good life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Dockfive wrote: »
    I not one of these "zeal of the convert" type people who rage against the stupidity of drinkers, Its quite nice sometimes to sit in the pub for a few hours and have a chat and watch sport it can just be quite difficult when you aren't drinking.
    I totally agree, often wish I could just have a cup of coffee and a snack the way you can on the continent at night and sit back and chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DKoala

Hi people.
    I'm a 20yo student in UL at the moment. I've never started drinking, apart from a glass of champagne at the millenium. (Ah the tender age of 12 :rolleyes:)
    I've quite a few reasons that have stopped me from drinking, from the basic ones like cost to more melodramatic ones.

Personally the only complaint I have is the lack of late-night activities that aren't alochol fueled, but that said I still enjoy nights out with friends who do, it's rare that I get irritated by the average drunken student ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

i did not drink much to begin with but i am pregnant now so all alcohol and tea and coffee and coca cola is off>

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭rmkfda

hello all fellow non/seldom drinking peoples.

I stopped drinking as I've had stoopid nights due to drinking in the past, its rubbish for your health. It's pigging expensive.

Also my hubby is a recovering addict and its not terribly supportive to get tanked and come home reeking of booze in his face etc.

I'm fed up of the whole scene and want to stop deadening my creativity.

We're moving to Ireland (Cork) so I wanted to try and meet some people on our wavelength before we come over.

I look forward to talking to you, and getting to grips with Irish awesomeness.
    *Rach*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rubberduckie

After a brief period of heavy drinking when I started college, I challebged myself to give up for a few months. I was surprised by how difficult I found it but I stuck to it, and started drinking again with intention of continuing how I drank previously, but realised it had lost it's appeal. After a few yeas of occasioanal binge drinking, I decided to see how long I could go before I missed it. Three and a half years later, I still don't miss it.

I got a lot of hassle from former friends, many of whom declared me dull and boring, but the people who mattered saw how much happier I was without alcohol.

I was living abroad when I gave up alcohol, but have since moved back to Dublin, where, to be honest, having a social life as a non drinker is practically impossible.

I would love to attend some of the event mentioned here and would be interested in meeting likeminded people..... feel free to PM me if any of this sounds familiar

RD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hello all, first post in this forum :)

I'm 25 and a non drinker, never had so much as a mouth full. Why? people ask, and to be honest I had no valid reason to offer other than 'I just never bothered with the stuff'. Thinking about it though, I guess part of me has a resentment for the 'drink culture' and the divilment and damage that people get up to when 'plastered', I'd like to think that I have a bit more self respect than that.

Can be a little hard when going out with mates alright as they get a little mental and seem to have a laugh whilst I'm still, well......me :P. But they have respect for the fact that I can go out and have a good night on only fizzy drinks and I have been commended on my ability to stick to my guns and refuse to even try a drink. I've gotten this far without it, I think I'll continue to survive without it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭CelticSpirit

I spent a year in a residential centre at the age of 17.

When I got out I promised myself I'd never drink again.

I'm 29 and I've never broken my promise.

If anybody asks I tell them I'm a pioneer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Hi there, I am in the minority here I think in the fact that I dont drink because I cant! No grey area, clear cut alcoholic, but its ok cos Im sober for 12 years so I am comfortable with who I am and am very happy it all came to a head at age 26, at least I get to have a life now;). I was wondering if there are any girls in a similar position to me, (ie alcoholic) but finding it hard to find a place to talk to women in the same boat. You see us women are a unique breed and I have realised that you can combine recovery and gossiping really well! Anyway pm me or just post if this rings a bell.....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭acorntoast

I gave up drinking initially to lose a few pounds, and I liked my life better without it, so I just kept going :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Hi guys!

New on boards and a non drinker for about 2/3 years now. Never like the taste and poor belly afterwards.

Great section here I must add.

Diet Coke for life! :cool:

Hi,
    After a bad experience with drink, new years resolution and lack of money, i have decided to give up the drink.
    My only worry is that my social life will get worse as everything seems to revolve around alcohol...what is there to do without it especially when your 18?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

To be honest, I think there is not a lot to do. I'm also giving up for similar reason, bad experience lately. Will be lonely for a while until I can leave country entirely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Would love to give up drinking.

I never miss work, get into fights, get arrested for drink driving but still think I need to give up. I used to enjoy having a few pints with the lads but lately have been drinking at home (thanks Lidl, for all the cheap beer!! :().

Drinking just seems to be increasing in importance in my life, if that makes any sense. I am aware I'm drinking more than I should and have begun to hide the extent of my drinking (putting cans quickly into bin, just in case anyone sees how many I've had, etc).

Wish me luck...... I may need it!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sup peeps?
    I'm Cian, at the tender age of 18 and I'm already considering giving up drinking.
    Its been playing on my mind for a few months now and after these two weeks of "festivity" i'm almost sure i'm going to give it up.

It just seems like the amount that i've been drinking has been sky rocketing and also the level of alcohol in the drinks.

So yeah, to keep a long story short, i'm gonna try out not drinking for 6 months, and b the end of that see what i think, and tbh if i last that long then i probably just wont be drinking anymore, full stop.
    Would do me and my wallet well.

Advertisement