Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cedar wood windows

Options
  • 13-01-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

We have cedar wood windows and cladding on our 1yr old house. The wood was treated with stuff I cant remember the name of except that it was very expensive around 60 E a tin. We gave everything about 4 coats before they were put in. Now however 1yr later they are showing signs of weather damage. We live in an extremely exposed spot on the connemara coast. ( Ideal for wind turbine !!) Can anyone reccomend a decent sealer for the wood? They will all have to be sanded before they are treated again. A right royal pain in the ass!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Hi Foyleart,

In your conditions I imagine you will always have problems maintaining your finish especially that it is not factory finished. The good news is that Cedar is very durable so your concerns are only relevant to the aesthetic of the units. My advice is let them peel, save yourself the effort and in a short time you will have a uniform weathered look on all of the units. You will save yourself a big effort against a losing battle methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Regardless of factory finish or not, cedar will need to be treated regularly to maintain the original finish. Being an exposed costal location every 1-2 years isn't uncommon i'd imagine. In the city it could stretch to 4-5years dependong on location. There are many treatments used, both danish and teak oil are common I believe, woodcraft forum will dive a better answer.
    If you want to keep the original finish it has to be done, sorry,
    But if you leave it, it will weather and fade. Although, I disagree with blackiebest that it will be uniform, side, junctions and details that are more exposed will weather faster. It will go a silver/grey colour. The good news is (as long as you don't mind the fading) that cedar doesn't need to be treated. It has natural oils that preserve it, (integrity not colour). Bare in mind this applies almost soley to cedar, other cladding materials will not last untreated.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Many thanks for your help guys.:)

Advertisement