Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscommerce Templates

Options
  • 13-01-2008 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of purchasing a decent looking template for Oscommerce through one of the template retailers. Question is, would I be wasting my money ($150 or possibly $65)? I've seen some free one's but they look kinda basic. I can mod whatever I get slightly but the area of ecommerce is still a grey one to me at the moment, so really I'm not looking for a template thats ready to go per se but one that has potential and that I can make my own without getting bogged down in programming.

If you know of any good Oscommerce template sites that dont charge I'd appreciate a link. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The downside to free templates is that they'll have been used by hundreds of other sites ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Very true. I have seen some nice templates for sale, but I just dont wanna buy one and then see it for free a couple of days later. They dont cost a fortune I know, its the principal I guess. I'm kinda new to CSS and e-commerce in general so any good sites for reference would also be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Diceicle wrote: »
    so really I'm not looking for a template thats ready to go per se but one that has potential and that I can make my own without getting bogged down in programming.

If you know of any good Oscommerce template sites that dont charge I'd appreciate a link. Thanks.
    I think that a $150 template will be a good starting point as osCommerce is a bit of a pain when it comes to changing the look. The next version of osCommerce will use CSS for layout but it's only at alpha stage at the moment.

Templates:
    http://www.modxhost.com/templates/search.html?category=84

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Personally I'd recommend Zen Cart over osCommerce when purchasing the templates.
    If you are any good at photoshop or the like, it's worth buying a layout you like and then jazzing it up with a more unique look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Thanks for all the help so far. I've got Zen-cart and OScommerce, why is zen-cart better than oscommerce? And is Joomla a similar program?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Diceicle wrote: »
    And is Joomla a similar program?
    No, Joomla is a CMS (Content Management System) useful for managing a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I wouldn't neccessarily say ZenCart is better than osCommerce. As a personal preference, I find ZenCart much easier to template and add on new modules.

The last update from osCommerce was a long time ago too, so maybe their next release will be much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Another option, which I'm swaying too but haven't yet being convinced is to install Joomla and then get the component Virtuemart and use that as a shopping cart.

But I like the Zencart structure and the add on's but its the template design that's letting them down, maybe if they ever get around to a Zen Cart 2.0 eventually they will make up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

You can get a shopping cart module for Wordpress too... if that's of any interest. I've no experience with it myself, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Id vote VirtueMart over osCommerce just because of the way it sits into Joomla nicely.

I'd love to see osCommerce CSS their design cusomization abilities!

More osCommerce templates:

http://www.templatemonster.com/oscommerce-templates.php

I think the templates at modx are being resold from templatemonster.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement