Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LPI Certification exam preparation

Options
  • 13-01-2008 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

It's a new year and I've resolved to get certified this year. I mainly work in platform/app support and administration on AIX, Red Hat and MS based systems. As a start I'm looking into LPI 1/2 certification and as it is not vendor specific I think it's probably a good start off point. What are the views of people here on how employer's rate the LPI as say compared to the RHCE?
    Also I'm looking for some suggestions on prep work on the exam. I will be home studying and plan to set-up a small lab with a distro I've never used before and work through whatever material I can get my hands on before taking the exams. There are a number of books availible and wondered if anyone has any preferences on the best ones out there. There's also a link to an IBM LPI exam prep that looks interesting. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

ding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

RHCE is a lot better than LPI, but it is also a lot harder and more expensive.

LPI level 1 I think is for people with 2 years experience with Linux - the requirements looks pretty basic, but I got 'LPI Cert in a Nutshell' just to be safe, and went through it. Found all the material pretty easy, although I did learn a couple of bits and pieces. Then when I went in to sit the exam I had a load of pointless questions about obscure command line switches, some ambiguous questions, and a few duplicates, so it turned out the exam was harder than i thought. But it balances out overall, and if you know your stuff then you'll pass anyway. The IBM material is fairly good, but incomplete. Google/Wikipedia is as good a study guide as anything - just go through all the topics and make sure you're familiar with all of them.

If you have 2 years experience, then you should pass it easily enough because it's mostly multiple choice. As a Red Hat guy, just make sure you brush up on your Debian package management, because they ask specific questions about both dkpg and rpm. You don't need to set up a lab or anything, because it's not hands on like the RHCE.

I don't know about LPI Level 2, but it looks like more of the same just more advanced / more in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

The price of the RHCE is costly as I'm paying for it myself so I was hoping being certified with LPI 1 and 2 would be comparable? Thanks for the response Illkillya btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

It is costly, and it is a bit of a headache too because you can't do the exam in VUE or Prometric test centres. Depends on the job you're going for, but if you're doing something general in Linux administration, then LPI Level 2 proves that you have a good knowledge of Apache and Bind and all the stuff that other candidates might be bluffing about. But RHCE is a much more valuable cert, and I believe a lot of the big companies look for it. Then again, if you did the LPI exam first, and decided to do RHCE later, it's good because nearly everything you studied for the LPI still applies.

Advertisement