Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Question

Options
  • 13-01-2008 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hello

I bought a second hand car at the start of November but I have been away with work until now.

As far as I know the car was taxed up to February 2007 and was of the road until I bought it.

Do I have to pay the backdated tax from March 2007 to present or am I liable for tax only from November onwards?

Any help would be appreciated as I want to get it all sorted out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You pay for when for when you bought it.
    So you pay from November onwards.

Interestingly if you bought it on the last day of Novemeber, you still have to pay for the full month of November.
    Keeps things simple I suppose

From March 07-October 07 is the previous owners responsibility. Maybe it was declared off the road or maybe he never taxed it as he took ages to sell it. Doesn't matter as it doesn't concern you.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

If it has been off the road until now, go to the garda and get the form stamped saying it was off the road and you will only have to pay tax from jan 08 onwards.

Advertisement