Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappointing Albums...

Options
  • 13-01-2008 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭

The title says it all, what were the most disappointing album of your life?
    And discuss why you feel this way with your fellow boardies.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Neon Bible is the only one i can think of right now, was really looking forward to it and it's consistently disappointed. I've listened to it plenty but i still think it is nowhere near as good as Funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

weezer - weezer (the green album)
    such a let down over their excellent debut and even better second album.

biffy clyro - puzzle
    fairly straight up rock music from a band that don't do straight up rock music, was very hard to get myself into listening to biffy playing generic 3 minute verse verse chorus verse bridge chorus songs.

bright eyes - casadega
    just expected it to go a bit more like "i'm wide awake..."

jimmy eat world - futures
    after the great clarity, and slight worse bleed american (but still good) this was a major kick in the teeth. absolute cheese fest and not in a good cheese way.

there are more, just can't think right now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Black Holes & Revelations. Muse seemed like such a good band before they took this direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Every Queensryche album after Empire. 'Hear in the now frontier' - WTF were they thinking, I don't know what this bull**** is but it sure as hell isn't anything that resembles Queensryche. O:MII almost made up for all that just because Dio was on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Every Queensryche album after Empire. 'Hear in the now frontier' - WTF were they thinking, I don't know what this bull**** is but it sure as hell isn't anything that resembles Queensryche. O:MII almost made up for all that just because Dio was on it.

I'm still considering Mindcrime:2 though...maybe I'm mad...

My most disappointing is easily The Clash's London Calling.

This is regularly considered a "classic" album and I've never been so underwhelmed. Title track is excellent and there are about 3 or 4 others (e.g. Spanish Bombs, Train in Vain ) but really...Jimmy Jazz? Brand new Cadillac? they're just awful, together with most of the pseudo dub stuff and 50s tinged dull crap.

I've come to the conclusion that The Clash were a "singles" band :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Caveat wrote: »
    I'm still considering Mindcrime:2 though...maybe I'm mad...

I am too actually, the first half is good but it trails off after that. But it's hell of a lot better than the 3 or 4 albums that came before it.

anything U2 have released in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

But see, that's a stupid answer, LittleNipper; it strikes me that you're not a U2 fan if you consider everything they *ever* did to be a disappointment. And there's nothing wrong with not being a U2 fan, but in the same way that I don't rate Mariah Carey very highly, even if her next album is derided by, even, her hardcore fans as being dross, that's not a disappointment to me, as i wasn't expecting it to be much cop in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

For me Jimmy Jazz is the best tune on London Calling, but then again I also rate Ghetto Defendant as the best track on Combat Rock, which seems to go against the grain. I guess I just like different things about the Clash than most people.

Disappointing albums, here we go!

The second albums by: Bloc Party, Futureheads, Arctic Monkeys were all boring, non stop sh!t fests compared to the raw energy of their predecessors. Except for Berserker on the second Futureheads joint.

The last three System of A Down joints: just when you thought something good was gonna come from the nu metal era, think again. Three steamy piles of **** that never managed to attain the honesty of viciousness of their previous albums, instead opting for catchy hooks and "I hate George Bush" to sell records.

Ehm, other than that I don't really listen to ****ty bands that release disappointments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭kryptyk500

Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump. I loved their first album 'Under the Western Freeway' but this was a big let down. I remember it got lots of good reviews but I thought it was just full of 'can't be bothered to write a proper tune - will this do?' type songs

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape. Apart from 'Everlong' and a couple of other songs, this is a dog of an album. No idea why everyone says it's their best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

IMO the Happy Mondays comeback album "Uncle Dysfunktional" was just awful, and I was looking so much forward to it and it didn't even sound like music. But in all fairness everything that the Monday do is going to be over-shadowed by their overwelming 3rd album "Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches" one of the best albums ever made, every song was compiled together perfectly, but most of all "Step On", "Loose Fit" and "Kinky Afro"... How class can an album be with 3 of their best songs on it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Air - 10,000hz Legend simply because I love Moon Safari. It was always going to be difficult to follow up such a beautiful album and they haven't come close since.

Genealogy Forum Mod

But see, that's a stupid answer, LittleNipper; it strikes me that you're not a U2 fan if you consider everything they *ever* did to be a disappointment. And there's nothing wrong with not being a U2 fan, but in the same way that I don't rate Mariah Carey very highly, even if her next album is derided by, even, her hardcore fans as being dross, that's not a disappointment to me, as i wasn't expecting it to be much cop in the first instance.
    i wouldnt say im not a u2. but i just think their albums are hugely hyped up before their release and when they come out im just disappointed. they could do a lot worse though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Evanescence - The Open Door
    I liked Fallen, but it was their pre-Fallen stuff I always loved. The songs were full emotion and wonderfully melodic. This album descended into banality and Amy suddenly stopped being able to sing properly in most of the songs. There's only 2 songs I really like on it.

HIM - Dark Light
    2 words - Sell Out. Simple as.

Sirenia - Nine Destinies and a Downfall
    See HIM above for reason

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sum 41 - Newest one...Seem to have gone backwards, back to All Killer No Filler and Half Hour of Power. AKNF was decent but I don't want to buy it repackaged as a new album.

Metallica - St. Anger - And NOT for the lack of solos but for the lack of decent lyrics (always worrying when a chorus is used as a verse too) and blandness. 6-7 min songs are fine when there is something different going on.

Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight - It's alright, a few decent tracks but still doesn't hold a candle to Hybrid Theory (and to a certain extent, Meteora) imo.

Jimmy Eat World - Futures - Reasons given above, quite meh.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

i wouldnt say im not a u2. but i just think their albums are hugely hyped up before their release and when they come out im just disappointed. they could do a lot worse though.

so then what you actually mean then is 'anything u2 released after their first album'. I'm basing that on the notion that their first album wasn't massively hyped. Actually, i'd wager the second wasn't either....

my first comment was tung in cheek. talking more about their stuff over the last 10 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cremo wrote: »

biffy clyro - puzzle
    fairly straight up rock music from a band that don't do straight up rock music, was very hard to get myself into listening to biffy playing generic 3 minute verse verse chorus verse bridge chorus songs.

bright eyes - casadega

after the great clarity, and slight worse bleed american (but still good) this was a major kick in the teeth. absolute cheese fest and not in a good cheese way.

wow we have completely opposite tastes!
    Kold wrote: »
    Black Holes & Revelations. Muse seemed like such a good band before they took this direction.

This is a great album and it becomes even better when played live. It is a change of direction but if they released the same album over and over again there would be complaints. I guess there's just no pleasing everyone.
    anything U2 have released in my opinion.

Yeah I'm a U2 hater myself and think everything they've released is greatly overrated especially the recent stuff.
    kryptyk500 wrote: »
    Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump. I loved their first album 'Under the Western Freeway' but this was a big let down. I remember it got lots of good reviews but I thought it was just full of 'can't be bothered to write a proper tune - will this do?' type songs

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape. Apart from 'Everlong' and a couple of other songs, this is a dog of an album. No idea why everyone says it's their best.

Agree on the Grandaddy one. 'Crystal Lake' is a great song but most of the others are just too long and plod along to nothing really.

Don't understand what you mean about the Foos album. Songs like 'My Hero' and 'Monkey Wrench' are up there with 'Everlong' as absolute classics. A couple of other top tunes too. Better than their last two or three albums anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

The Software slump is a great record IMO
    only thier last album disappointed me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The last two U2 albums.

Black Holes and Revelations by Muse.

With Teeth by Nine Inch Nails.

Riot Act by Pearl Jam - Ugh.

Anything the Foo Fighters released after There is Nothing Left to Lose.

10,000 Days by Tool - Ok it has a few great songs but a lot of filler even for a Tool album.

Down On The Upside by Soundgarden - Like 10,000 Days, it features some really great songs, but is chock full of forgettable filler crap.

The last two awful albums by Queens of The Stone Age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Popsicle

Cremo wrote: »

biffy clyro - puzzle

bright eyes - casadega

Am disappointed that you found this disappointing!!!!!:eek::eek: I love it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Popsicle wrote: »
    Am disappointed that you found this disappointing!!!!!:eek::eek: I love it!

I agree. I love it too. I think it has some of his best songs on there. Lyrically and musically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

White Stripes- Icky Thump.

To me it sounds like a demo tape that they took the piss on. So disappointing after 2 amazing albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

50 cent and Kanye West's latest efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

to the people who are disappointed at my selections this is what so great about music, one man's garbage so to speak is another man's gold.

as said above, some people find Muse's Blackholes... disappointing, but i didn't really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Headmusic by Suede.

3 cracking albums a majestic B-Sides album and then this. Thought it was all but over when Butler left but in fairness Coming Up was a damn good album and it gave me cause to think that maybe Suede weren't finished just yet. Unfortunately it was to be their last decent album.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭kryptyk500

I think that a lot of 'classic' albums can be disappointing. Ones like Pet Sounds and Sergeant Peppers that turn up on the lists of the 'best albums of all time'. There is so much hype about them that when you finally get round to listening to them you're left feeling underwhelmed.

Anyway, back to albums that I've found disappointing in the last couple of years:

New Order 'Waiting for the Siren's Call'. I was really disappointed with this, just a collection of very average songs. They can do so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I agree with you on New Order, but they make up for it in their large selection of good albums...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

kryptyk500 wrote: »
    I think that a lot of 'classic' albums can be disappointing. Ones like Pet Sounds and Sergeant Peppers that turn up on the lists of the 'best albums of all time'. There is so much hype about them that when you finally get round to listening to them you're left feeling underwhelmed.

Gotta agree with you on Pet Sounds. I finally bought it a couple of years ago and after playing it I was left with a massive feeling that there's a music critic conspiracy to see how many people they can con by putting this album at the top of the pile so often.

As for recent albums, Power in the Blood by Alabama 3 was a massive disappointment after their first two albums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Interpol - Our Love To Admire

I'm all for fleshing out your sound and trying take it somewhere different, but they made a complete cobblers of it. Kings of Leon and The Strokes ran into similar problems on their third LPs.

I only heard Pet Sounds after I bought the Smile release in 2004(?). Absolutely blew my mind. Don't like Sgt. Pepper at all but Pet Sounds is certainly my favourite album of all time. Brian Wilson in the Marquee was also the best gig I've ever attended.

Advertisement