Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappointing Albums...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

The Coral's first album i bought it on the strenght of "dreaming of you"
    Suede - A new morning
    Flaming lips - At War with the Mystics .. no where near as good as the previous two albums in my opinion

most of the crap albums i've bought have been becuase i buy them when i hear one single off them. Don;t make that mistake anymore thanks to the numerous ways to listen to the whole album before you buy them these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

lordgoat wrote: »
    Neon Bible is the only one i can think of right now, was really looking forward to it and it's consistently disappointed. I've listened to it plenty but i still think it is nowhere near as good as Funeral.
    Wow! There really is no accounting for taste. I actually prefer Neon Bible to Funeral.
    kryptyk500 wrote: »
    I think that a lot of 'classic' albums can be disappointing. Ones like Pet Sounds and Sergeant Peppers that turn up on the lists of the 'best albums of all time'. There is so much hype about them that when you finally get round to listening to them you're left feeling underwhelmed.
    So true. I'm always skeptical about those universally acclaimed albums - they can't be brilliant to everyone. I used to make the mistake of buying albums purely on the back of gushing reviews but I learned from my mistake.
    New Order 'Waiting for the Siren's Call'. I was really disappointed with this, just a collection of very average songs. They can do so much better.
    New Order are one of my favourite bands of all time, maybe even my favourite band of all time, but I don't think they've got it any more. I remember when they released the single Crystal in 2001. I was so excited. Such a fantastic song and vintage N.O. An absolutely storming return to form after Republic, which wasn't bad but could be quite mediocre in places. Anyway I literally rushed out to buy Get Ready (the album that had Crystal on it). What an utter disappointment. Just very bland and uninspiring. Then they released Krafty a few years later - the first single off Waiting For The Siren's Call. Very dull also. I hoped it wasn't an indication of the rest of the album, but sadly it was. Ah well, I suppose it makes the consistent brilliance of their output throughout the 80s all the more to be savoured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Morrisseys You are the Quarry was crushingly disappointing, its a nothing album after seven years of silence.

BTW anyone disappointed by Pet Sounds needs their ears and/or head examined

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭blackbox

Greendale.

I'm a huge Neil fan, but Greendale never lit the fuse for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Arcade Fire's Neon Bible and Kanye West's Graduation are exceptional albums in my opinion. In fact, the former was to me more consistent then Funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Orizio wrote: »
    Arcade Fire's Neon Bible and Kanye West's Graduation are exceptional albums in my opinion. In fact, the former was to me more consistent then Funeral.

Neon Bible may have been more consistent but it packed a whimper while fineral has a roar. Nowhere on the second album is there anything near approaching a wake up or a rebellion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

kryptyk500 wrote: »

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape. Apart from 'Everlong' and a couple of other songs, this is a dog of an album. No idea why everyone says it's their best.

Strongly disagree. It's their best album, a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

blackbox wrote: »
    Greendale.

I'm a huge Neil fan, but Greendale never lit the fuse for me.

I'm a big Neil fan as well but he does have a tendency to deliver awful albums occasionally, Living with War anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Black Holes and Revelations by Muse - No explanation necessary, it's no better live either. Some people will completely understand where I'm coming from, others vehemently defend it. *shrug

Rise to Your Knees by Meat Puppets - They're my favourite band ever, they reunite, they still sound half decent playing the old songs live, yet they release this pile of crap that sounds little different to anything Curt Kirkwood has put out in the last while, which is miles from the amazingness that was the original Meat Puppets.

Funeral by Arcade Fire - After all the hype I'd heard about this album, when I finally got it and listened to it I was thinking, "Em... am I supposed to be amazed or something?". It was all right I guess...

There are a few more I'm sure, just can't think now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

All the Radiohead albums since OK Computer. Haven't heard the new one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

You're silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

A good few dodgy ones alright, but Kid A and in Rainbows are class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

JæKæ wrote: »
    A good few dodgy ones alright, but Kid A and in Rainbows are class.

Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief are awesome. Amnesiac is my favourite album ever actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Snoop Dog: Blue Carpet Treatment. I thought Rhythm and Gangsta was excellent
    (although I know a lot of people thought that was a dissapointment), but BCT was mediocre at best.

G 'n' R- Use your Illusion 1 & 2:
    Appetite for Destruction was one of my favourite albums of all time, and I think the worst song on it, is still better than the best on either of these 2 albums.

Advertisement