Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil burner problem

Options
  • 13-01-2008 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

hi all,

any suggestions to what the problem could be, oil burner isnt firing up at all when switched on, the reset button does nothing at all, heating was working ok last night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kolo2007 wrote: »
    hi all,

any suggestions to what the problem could be, oil burner isnt firing up at all when switched on, the reset button does nothing at all, heating was working ok last night
    Stupid Question: Have you oil in tank?

Is the red lockout button coming on?

When you say its not firing up, do you mean you can hear the initial startup for the first 6-7 seconds and then when you hear the whoosh, it stops?

If this is the case, then its a few things?

#1: Airlock - Did you let the tank go empty?
    #2: do you know if a flame is being generated? If so, then possibly the photo sensor is faulty?
    #3: If no flame is being generated, then possibly you have a bad solenoid valve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kolo2007

thers plenty of oil, was only filled at the start of december,
    it came on there as you said for about 6-7 then woosh, it stays on for about minute then shuts of, now nothing is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

hi all,

If the reset button does "nothing at all" - no sound of anything trying to fire, try the reset button beside the thermostat - maybe under a cover that you screw off.

JamesM wrote: »
    If the reset button does "nothing at all" - no sound of anything trying to fire, try the reset button beside the thermostat - maybe under a cover that you screw off.
    James, would you not expect the boiler to even switch on if the over temp stat has tripped? I wouldn't expect it to even get to the stage of flowing oil across the electrodes........
    thers plenty of oil, was only filled at the start of december,
    it came on there as you said for about 6-7 then woosh, it stays on for about minute then shuts of, now nothing is happening

I still wouldn't rule out the photo cell at this stage. Could also be a bad solenoid. Failing that, unless the coupling from teh motor to the pump is not making great connection. Are you competent enough to remove the burner out from teh boiler and check the lens of the photo cell for dirt or soot and clean it off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kolo2007

no i wouldnt be that confident to start messing around with it that much, there is a slight bit of heat from the rads upstairs would this indicate anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Lex, You can see that my post above was exactly the same time as Kolo's. He had said that nothing at all happened when he pressed the reset button.
    He then explained that something did happen. Of course this means that the power was reaching the burner, and the fault lies there.
    Kolo, If you are not happy about taking out the burner, a service is probably required. When was it last serviced ?
    The heat in the upstairs rads is possibly from the electric immersion. If the heating is turned on, the heat from the hot water cylinder would be circulated around the rads.
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    Lex, You can see that my post above was exactly the same time as Kolo's. He had said that nothing at all happened when he pressed the reset button.
    He then explained that something did happen. Of course this means that the power was reaching the burner, and the fault lies there.
    Kolo, If you are not happy about taking out the burner, a service is probably required. When was it last serviced ?
    The heat in the upstairs rads is possibly from the electric immersion. If the heating is turned on, the heat from the hot water cylinder would be circulated around the rads.
    Jim.

ya, see that now James....

Kolo, if you're not confident enough to take the burner out, I suggest like james to get a service done.

Advertisement