Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vag-com

Options
  • 13-01-2008 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

I think my golf has a faulty maf - degraded rather than completly gone. Id like to get this double checked using vag-com. Anyone know if the cheap ebay kits are anygood -Like This

Or if someone around dublin with vag-com was willing to have a look that would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Your best bet would be to ask on vagdrivers.net.

Or you could buy the proper lead from ross-tech in USA.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Neil - dont really want to get new leads from ross-tech due to the cost. Not sure how often I would use it. Are the ebay ones all dodgy or just old models

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I got one of those cables before christmas for €20 on ebay, i got the free software off ross-tech. I spent a while tinkering around trying to get the software to connect to the car. My problem was that my a4 1.9tdi was down on power, I thought the maf was the problem, but nothing showed up on vag com. I still haven't fixed the car but i'm not using it at the min (changing the timing belt next week). From looking at tdiclub.com, I have found a few other ways of checking for faulty mafs.
    One thing to try is to disconnect the wires on the maf and see if it makes any difference to the car. if you have more power doing this you can be fairly sure its gone.

I still have a few other things to try with my own car before i find whats wrong, like checking the airflow reading from my maf using vag com and comparing them to nomal readings, it not as easy as plugging a cable in and the laptop 100% telling me the maf is gone:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Im not sure the shareware version of the vag com software will show the info needed to diagnose the maf, could be wrong there though. I was going by the following the diag the maf ->http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/tdi.html

I would think that if I disconnected the maf altogether, the car would go into "limp" mode and be not very good at all ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

voxpop to check the condition of the maf you need to run a test using measuring blocks on vag com,you cant do that on the share ware version of vag com.

If you disconnect the plug at the top of the MAf the car WONT go into limp mod it will apply a default setting,if you disconnect and the car runs better then the MAF is the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement