Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good book

Options
  • 17-12-2007 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Any of you ladies read her books? Absolutely love 'em! Sophie Kinsella is also brill - the Shopaholic books are fab! Also Sarah Webb is great...I love my "chick-lit" books, as u can see lol!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Yeah Marian is good

Have you read Sinead Moriarty??

SHe is hilarious....

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

No I haven't - haven't heard of her! Might try pick up one of her books...

The baby trail....ITs the first in a three book series.

It is very very funny,

Then she did "In my sisters shoes" I brought this on holidays this year.

The people at the poolside must have thought I was deranged, sitting there laughing to my self...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

yep!!

love both their collections

have you read " Can you keep a secret" Brilliant

Jenny Colgan would also be a favourite of mine, esp "Amanda's Wedding"[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Really liked Is there Anybody out There. Cried my eyes out reading that one!
    Just about finished a Clare Dowling one, No Strings Attached. Easy read, very enjoyable but not all sunshine and flowers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I read one when I was in bed sick for a week, and I was staying in my aunts. I wanted to burn it, to ensure no one else had to endure such muck ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Ah theres an awful lot of people out there who think a book has to be high brow to be worth anything. Or about the famine or child abuse or a "serious" subject. Theres a place for all kinds of tastes and imo a well written book is a well written book. I dont think Marian Keyes is any less valid than say, Ann Enright. The difference is, if people dont like Ann Enright (random example) they dont get on their high horse denouncing her and all like her as the worst writing ever. There is a lot of sh*te out there, a lot of books that somehow manage to get published despite being mediocre at best. But Marian Keyes, even if not to your taste, is a talented writer. I read about 2 or 3 books a week, many different kinds depending on my mood. I like to think my horizons are being broadened. I dont feel I need to assert my intelligence by rubbishing popular fiction just because millions of other women read it. I understand people have different tastes, its the vehemence I cannot understand when I hear people discussing Marian et al. If you don't like it then dont read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I used to read her books when I was in my teens. Wouldn't really be bothered with them these days. But it's not because I don't like her, Recently I've found myself drawn more towards fantasy books. My girlie indulgence is Nora Roberts. I'm collecting her books. She has such a variety of subjects which I love as I rarely get bored with her. Don't have to read the same story with new characters repeatedly!

I picked up Accidental Mother by Rowan Coleman recently! I thought it was brilliant! Has anyone read it?

Peared wrote: »
    Ah theres an awful lot of people out there who think a book has to be high brow to be worth anything. Or about the famine or child abuse or a "serious" subject. Theres a place for all kinds of tastes and imo a well written book is a well written book. I dont think Marian Keyes is any less valid than say, Ann Enright. The difference is, if people dont like Ann Enright (random example) they dont get on their high horse denouncing her and all like her as the worst writing ever. There is a lot of sh*te out there, a lot of books that somehow manage to get published despite being mediocre at best. But Marian Keyes, even if not to your taste, is a talented writer. I read about 2 or 3 books a week, many different kinds depending on my mood. I like to think my horizons are being broadened. I dont feel I need to assert my intelligence by rubbishing popular fiction just because millions of other women read it. I understand people have different tastes, its the vehemence I cannot understand when I hear people discussing Marian et al. If you don't like it then dont read it.

Well said!

Anyone read Melissa Hill's books? Bought one the other day, gonna start reading it soon..

My b/f also got me PS. I Love You, has anybody read it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i loved PS i love you! cant wait to see what the film is like

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm looking forward to the film too, the previews look good! I wanna read the book before I see it though!

I love adele parks
    oh and Mike gayle he is my absolute fave (chick lit from a guy)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

life is far too short to read that kind of rubbish unless you are stuck on a desert island in the middle of nowhere

I love adele parks
    oh and Mike gayle he is my absolute fave (chick lit from a guy)

Ooh Mike Gayle!! His books are brilliant! :D

irishbird wrote: »
    life is far too short to read that kind of rubbish unless you are stuck on a desert island in the middle of nowhere

It ain't rubbish, and unless you have something positive positive to say, don't bother posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Gotta say, although I love Marian Keyes work, I really dont understand the hype when it comes to Cecilia Ahern. She has some nice ideas but I think they are very averagely (is that even a word) written at best. I think there's a world of difference in quality between herself and Marian. Actually to be honest it kinda annoys me when her books get so much recognition as people take them as a typical example of the quality of "chick lit" when there are so many great books by fantastic writers out there. Granted there is a lot of rubbish too. Anna Maxted would be another example of a brilliant writer that gets tarred with the fluffy brush when she's anything but fluffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

I prefer Jodi Picoult, she wrote My Sister's Keeper

I read PS. I love you. It was good enough, She has a way of writing that drags you in I think. The start of the book when she's grieving, I thought she had that down to a T. I actually felt it so that kind of dragged me in. There were parts of the book that were so boring! To be honest by the end I felt like I was reading it against my will. (Stupid I know but that's the only way I could describe it :D) I just had to get to the end. I was relieved when I did!

Of course I'm still going to see the movie!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I read two pages of that celia ahern book and just couldnt read anymore.That sort ofChick-lit is definatly not for me!
    I absolutely love Philip Gregory books though.She wrote 'the other Boelyn girl'!I like the mix of fictional and factual and love the whole bodice ripping tudor period :)

ozzyoh wrote: »
    Well said!

Anyone read Melissa Hill's books? Bought one the other day, gonna start reading it soon..

My b/f also got me PS. I Love You, has anybody read it?

I cried my eyes out reading this book

• Advertisement

It ain't rubbish, and unless you have something positive positive to say, don't bother posting.

So only one point of view is allowed to be aired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

*Page* wrote: »
    I prefer Jodi Picoult, she wrote My Sister's Keeper

Just discovered her lately..read her newest one, "nineteen minutes"..very good read. i was reading "plain truth" but i forgot it on a plane last thur..going mad so i was, cos i had a few hours wait in dublin before heading home...what i read of it was good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bergdorf

I always use to try and read serious award winning books, but discovered Marian keyes about 2 years ago on holiday and i'm a fan now, the issues she deals with aren't fluffy (alcoholism, depression, death) but ya she always wraps them up pretty sweetly, so i love abit of escapism. I never got into any of the other chick-lit writers, must take alook at some of the other suggestions. But why do they always have to be pink and pastel coloured covered books, don't want to look like a big girls blouse on the train.

Nightwish wrote: »
    So only one point of view is allowed to be aired?

Yep, from people who actually LIKE her books.

bergdorf wrote: »
    But why do they always have to be pink and pastel coloured covered books, don't want to look like a big girls blouse on the train.

Lol! I find that they're the most eye-catching ones - I don't know why, pink covers just attract me!!

Yep, from people who actually LIKE her books.

As far as I'm aware, censorship on boards doesnt apply to chick lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Nightwish wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, censorship on boards doesnt apply to chick lit.

QFT.

People can express their opinion as long as its in a respectful and plesent manner, and not "thats my ****ing opinion so **** off."

Personally im not majorly into chick-lit books, one from time to time would get me but i love my crime novels a la patricia cornwall.

irishbird wrote: »

Hmm well in my opinion, calling something "rubbish" isn't exactly being respectful!

Jules80 wrote: »
    QFT.

Personally im not majorly into chick-lit books, one from time to time would get me but i love my crime novels a la patricia cornwall.

See, THIS is being respectful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

But she was not being disrespectful to you. Its her choice if she wants to call a book rubbish. Some people are just a bit more abrupt with there opinions. Now we are all adults in here so lets just accept her opinion and move on.

Advertisement