Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good book

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Jules80 wrote: »
    But she was not being disrespectful to you. Its her choice if she wants to call a book rubbish. Some people are just a bit more abrupt with there opinions. Now we are all adults in here so lets just accept her opinion and move on.

Now thats a rubbish reply :D:D

Ive never read a Marian keyes book, not because I have anything against them but It would seriously damage my uber cool reputation If I was seen reading anything other then hardcore serious books! Hence I only ever read chick lit when Im away on hols!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Jules80 wrote: »
    But she was not being disrespectful to you. Its her choice if she wants to call a book rubbish. Some people are just a bit more abrupt with there opinions. Now we are all adults in here so lets just accept her opinion and move on.

That's for sure!

Panda - lol, c'mon now, marian is the "uber-cool" of chicklit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I love the trashy sex-every-ten-pages books with oh-so-cheesy clinches on the covers. Like Stephanie Laurens! Such a guilty pleasure!!

Also love Marian Keyes and Patricia Cornwell and all of that... I'll read anything really!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

i love my chick lit, its usually nice soft and romantic, I dont get time to read during the day with work and kids and I dont commute by bus train etc.

The only time I get to read is night time going to bed, If I dont read I dont sleep so I like nice easy chick lits that will help me nod off with romance humour on my mind,

I buy most of these in dunnes or tescos. they do there €4.50/€5.95 book specials and they have a lot of Irish fiction writers in stock cause I only like Irish chick lit writers

Some of my favourites are

Marion KEyes
    Sinead Moriarty
    Cathy kelly
    Collette Caddle
    Ber Carroll

Quality wrote: »
    I buy most of these in dunnes or tescos. they do there €4.50/€5.95 book specials and they have a lot of Irish fiction writers in stock cause I only like Irish chick lit writers

Oooh, do they do Marian books there? I love buying books but they normally cost me a tenner - I did get 4 books for 2 euro from a charity shop before though, I was well happy about that!!

• Advertisement

I am not sure if the do Marian at that price but they sell much cheaper than a book store and they have a great selection of Irish fiction...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Marian Keyes is a fantastic writer, her stories draw you in and her characters are easy to identify with. Do not rate Cecilia Ahern at all, although I do think that PS I love you will make a fantastic film.

Jodi Picoult is great, Mike Gayle is gas, Sinead Moriarty is good too. Adele Parks is an excellent read too.

I like chick lit for the escapism, everything works out in the end, everyone is happy and the sex is always fantastic. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

Hi Ladies

Know nothing about chick lit but I do know movies and this ones is shaping up to be a real stinker !

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ps_i_love_you/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 izaaaj

hello everyone :)i'm writing my thesis on the basis of Marian Keyes's novels.I'm mainly interested in popular women fiction as a self-help literature.Is it really possible to treat Marian's books as a kind of guide for modern women? Do they provide any kind of advice and help modern women to solve their problems or find answers to some nagging doubts or questions? Or maybe they can serve as a solace for somebody?Is there anyone who could share his opinion about this matter with me? Maybe Marian's books helped somebody in some way?

Actually, wasn't there a mini-series of "Watermelon" and "Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married"? Didn't see either, just found out on the net. Dammit, would have liked to see them!

Ps. Gerard Butler is yummy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I remember seeing the mini-series of Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married alright. Was a load of shyte to be honest!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

takola wrote: »
    I remember seeing the mini-series of Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married alright. Was a load of shyte to be honest!!!

LOL thank you

why are u thanking her??

Probably because I saved her the time it would have taken her to write that post! :D

ozzyoh wrote: »
    why are u thanking her??

because i agree with her :confused:

irishbird wrote: »
    because i agree with her :confused:

Ohhh-ok. U seem confused about it though?

I'm assuming you haven't seen it Ozzyoh? I don't think it actually stayed with the story at all from what I remember. Mind you to be honest I didn't like the book much better at all really so I could be a bad judge here.

I though watermelon was good though. Never seen a mini-series of that. They'd have needed to have kept it to the story for me to like it though!

takola wrote: »
    I'm assuming you haven't seen it Ozzyoh? I don't think it actually stayed with the story at all from what I remember. Mind you to be honest I didn't like the book much better at all really so I could be a bad judge here.

I though watermelon was good though. Never seen a mini-series of that. They'd have needed to have kept it to the story for me to like it though!

Ahhh ok. I thought Lucy Sullivan (the book) was pretty good, although I have to admit my fave is Sushi for Beginners - absolutely love that book!

Yeah I think Anna Friel played the lead character in Watermelon...think twas on TV3 a couple of yrs back...my b/f bought me the book recently so I'm looking forward to reading it :)

ozzyoh wrote: »
    Ohhh-ok. U seem confused about it though?

No i was confused by your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Most ofMarian keyes books involve an Irish woman that lives abroad (usually england) and she has at least 3 'wacky' friends. One is usually a gay guy. A bit formulaic for me.

• Advertisement

izaaaj wrote: »
    hello everyone :)i'm writing my thesis on the basis of Marian Keyes's novels.I'm mainly interested in popular women fiction as a self-help literature.Is it really possible to treat Marian's books as a kind of guide for modern women? Do they provide any kind of advice and help modern women to solve their problems or find answers to some nagging doubts or questions? Or maybe they can serve as a solace for somebody?Is there anyone who could share his opinion about this matter with me? Maybe Marian's books helped somebody in some way?

They help me get to sleep easier at night....:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I read anybody out there last year. Not bad for chick-lit, if a bit long.

WindSock wrote: »
    Most ofMarian keyes books involve an Irish woman that lives abroad (usually england) and she has at least 3 'wacky' friends. One is usually a gay guy. A bit formulaic for me.

one is always the career woman with no time for men or babies

one is in the happy but boring marriage

one is in the abusive relationship

one has to stay home and look after her father or mother or sick donkey or something, they are always the same

irishbird wrote: »
    one is always the career woman with no time for men or babies

one is in the happy but boring marriage

one is in the abusive relationship

one has to stay home and look after her father or mother or sick donkey or something, they are always the same

Hence what I said earlier. Nothing worse than reading the same story with different names all the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Have to agree. The first few of Marians Books I read were good but then it was like reading the same one over and over. Got a bit predictable.

I'm reading "Something You Should Know" by Melissa Hill @ the moment - it's very good! I think it's her debut novel - vocab isn't as good as Marian, but I'm still engrossed in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not a fan of them at all, but then again chick lit doesn't interest me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I can't really get into Marian Keyes, although I love her as a person - she has just the best personality.

I really like Patricia Scanlan.

Hey was up in Dunnes grocery and yes they do, do Marian Keyes for €4.50, they also had Sarah Webb,

Just in case any of you are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

My favourite book used to be Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married. I still really like it. She's written non-fictional short stories (many coming from her own experience as an alcolohic) and some fiction for people who have literacy problems. I see nothing wrong with that. Sure, she's no Thomas Hardy or Jane Austen, but she has her own charm. Plus, she's made shedloads of cash!

Advertisement