Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good book

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

wanna get back in to reading. anyone recommend me a really feel good happy book? bit down at the mo, could do with a happy read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kitt13

Not entirely happy but oddly uplifting and one I loan all the time with good reviews upon its return.

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Sex-Other-Desperate-Measures/dp/B000GRU1M4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200240723&sr=8-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

Not happy, but so bloody good, it'll distract you from what ails you.
    Jody Picoult "My sisters' keeper". Give it a lash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

cool cool girls. will give them a go! :) thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

If you like this you should like 'The memory keepers daughter' by Kim Edwards...I also love 'Shadows in the wind' - Carlos Ruiz Zafon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Diary of a Demented housewife is kinda funny - bit of escapism. and if you have kids it's easy to relate to the main character. If like me you don't it's a funny read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

the personal shopper by carmen reid is deadly and light hearted, or any of the 'shopaholic series.

do you sense a thread here.......:D:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you like historical fiction there's a great series of books set in Henry VIII's court by Phillippa Gregory.
    Don't be put off by the history bit, they're real page-turners and very light reading. They're stories about people, not historical facts.
    The first one is called The Other Boleyn Girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ooh, i read her 'tenth circle' book one day, i found her to be a very interesting writer. not the hugest fan of her style of writing, but some very interesting ideas, and some good story lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

the personal shopper by carmen reid is deadly and light hearted, or any of the 'shopaholic series.

do you sense a thread here.......:D:D:D

All the Shopaholic ones are pure gold, altho IMO the first is the funniest

All definitely worth a read, so is anything by Cecelia Ahern - not amazingly thought provoking, but make you feel good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i love all the jodi picolt books, that 1 particurly is very good, would definitely recommend it, and any of her books.

Although my sister bought 1 recently that neither of us want to read because theres a ghosthunter in it & were afraid itll freak us out somehow :( cant remember the name but if anyones read it, is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Sinead Moriarty, The baby trail, you wont be able to put it down, until you piss yourself laughing and have to go clean up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

Deirdre Purcell is always a good read....read most of her books and find it very hard to put down once i get into it... enjoyed Cecelia Aherns books also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ar3d

how about reading a book about amazing people in beleive or not or guiness world record. what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

A Prayer for Owen Meaney By John Irving.

The Handmaids Tale By Margaret Atwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Stone Junction by Jim Dodge. It's almost like a more grown up Harry Potter...but not really...Extremely exciting book! Read it regardless of your mood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

Lux23 wrote: »
    The Handmaids Tale By Margaret Atwood
    Did you read the Robber Bride? Its one of my favourite books ever!
    And Jody Piculout people :) I think My Sisters' Keeper was her best book, so maybe save that til last. It was the first one of hers I read and none of the others seemed to match it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

And Jody Piculout people :) I think My Sisters' Keeper was her best book, so maybe save that til last. It was the first one of hers I read and none of the others seemed to match it.

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood have you read that? Its so good, I'd strongly recommend that. Also I Know This Much is True and She's Come Undone both by Wally Lamb, they can take a little bit of work to get into but they certainly are worth it, as is The Secret History by Donna Tartt.
    Then there are also the Tracy Chevalier books; The Virgin Blue, Girl with a Pearl Earring, Lady and the Unicorn, Fallen Angels......all very good reads.

Saying that none of those ^^^^ are funny books, if its a laugh out loud read you're after you can't go wrong with Marian Keyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The time travellers wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. That was the last book I remember really enjoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I have read nearly all of Margaret Atwoods, she is a great writer.

• Advertisement

if you haven't read it - "The Kiterunner". Hugely entertaining and thought-provoking book. Read it before you see the movie that's out at the moment.

or "Norwegian Wood" also - great book that's simply written but very engaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 TinaSparkle

Sophie Kinsella - Secret diary of a shopaholic. Its a really funny book - all her books are really funny. I made a show of myself laughing on the train reading them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭adsgirl

Try Sharon Owens..The Tavern on Maple Street or The Tea House on Mulberry Street, good fun reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Yep, anything by Marian Keyes is guaranteed laughs!

I've only read one of the Shopaholic books, "Shopaholic & Baby" and I highly recommend it - fab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Just been told by a friend to read The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, supposed to be life changing and positive if you listen to the Yanks.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Just been told by a friend to read The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, supposed to be life changing and positive if you listen to the Yanks.

Watch the movie you can download it on

ww.thesecret.tv for $4.98 i.e. about €3.50....

Its worth watching and does help with positive thinking. It goes along the lines of everything happens for a reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

WindSock wrote: »
    The time travellers wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. That was the last book I remember really enjoying.

+1 I loved this too..really great book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Watch the movie you can download it on

ww.thesecret.tv for $4.98 i.e. about €3.50....

Its worth watching and does help with positive thinking. It goes along the lines of everything happens for a reason....

Thanks Sarah, think I'll do that, in that frame of mind at the moment, thanks.

Yeah I have watched it a few times now and I think no matter down much American claptrap is spouted the basic principles are sound... You get what you expect....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 roccabella

marley & me by John grogan is a wonderful book. made me laugh loads

Advertisement