Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good book

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

roccabella wrote: »
    marley & me by John grogan is a wonderful book. made me laugh loads

Awww God did I laugh and cry my eyes out at that book! Brilliant. You have to be a dog lover to get it but if you are, even slightly it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Being Elizabeth Bennet. If you like Austen, or simply want to figure out how to meet your Darcy (as an Austen character) it's a bit of fun - and a wee bit addictive.

Far From the Maddening Crowd (Hardy) is one of my favourite books ever, as is North and South (Gaskell). The Book Thief (Marcus Zusak) has a little bit of everything while being very easy to read. Fast Food Nation is really interesting, if a bit disgusting and upsetting. Oryx and Crake, or The Penelopiad (Atwood) are very good, in addition to the ones already mentioned above. Argh, there are loads of really good books out there.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

or if you like a rude but funny read,Belle du Jour, Diary of a london callgirl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SQDD

Some recent good books: The Time Travellers Wife, The Kite Runner, The Shadow of the Wind, The lovely bones, an old favourite would have to be Captain Corellis Mandolin and if you're looking for an epic book - The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

'Extremely loud & incredibly close' - Jonathan Safran Foer.

It's mad but genius and brilliant! Also quite sad. He's an amazing writer...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

If you like historical fiction there's a great series of books set in Henry VIII's court by Phillippa Gregory.
    Don't be put off by the history bit, they're real page-turners and very light reading. They're stories about people, not historical facts.
    The first one is called The Other Boleyn Girl.

Ive have introduced all of my friends to the other Boelyn girl and they have all LOVED it.
    Theres a great mix of history,excitment, passion,love,just everything really. Id really reccomend reading the other Boelyn girl before the film comes out :(
    http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/theotherboleyngirl/
    Am so annoyed they picked American,pouty actresses to play Anne Boleyn,one of the greatest English female characters in history!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Man Interrupted by James Bailey.

this is a fantastic book!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Interrupted-Welcome-Bizarre-Enough/dp/1845960068

seriously you should read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭frizzefreckles

I agree with those who mentioned Jodi Picoult's My Sisters Keeper and the suggestion for Sinead Moriarty's Baby Trail - I laughed until I cried reading that one.
    Just finished reading Marshmellows for Breakfast which I couldn't put down i can't remember the authors name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

WindSock wrote: »
    The time travellers wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. That was the last book I remember really enjoying.
    Great book and one which sets you apart from the 'chick lit' fans :P

A book all women should read: 'Man & Boy' by Tony Parsons.

And everyone should read Douglas Coupland!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

The time travellers wife is a great read. It took me a few atempts to get into it a few months apart but once I did I couldn't put it down.
    If you are a dog lover than 'marley and me' by john grogan is a brilliant read. Very very easy reading but funny with a little sadness thrown in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My not be your taste but try if you like fantasy or satire or comedy try Terry Prachett, lots of laugh out loud stuff and extracts urine from a lot of plot by numbers scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Most writers have themes that they return to again and again; a lot of writers are formulaic. I like Marian Keyes' books because - nine times out of ten - they make me laugh, and the stories are great, real page-turners.

She has a new book coming out in a couple of months. http://tinyurl.com/2owm3w

She also has a blog, which was funny for ages but seems to be going through a thin patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing, read that recently, quite enjoyed it. Witty, not your usual fluff. And I'm hooked on Tess Gerritsen books at the moment, can be pretty gorey, but really good twists and stuff.

Just realised that kinda rhymed. Watch this space for a book of my own perhaps... :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

deemy wrote: »
    The time travellers wife is a great read.
    Ah well was gonna say this, its a fab book, well worth a read!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

oh i so love p.s i love you. i cried and laughed so much. and did the same at the film. i also love patricia scanlan. am reading a kathy kelly book at the moment. it's ok i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

I love Patricia Scanlon, Melissa Hill, Jill Mansell, Colette Caddle, Marian Keyes.

Just finished Melissa Hill's new book Before I Forget and I loved it, I love how she has all these twists in all her books.

Another favourite is Dorothy Koomson, I think My Best Friends Girl was my favourite but her. But her new one Goodnight Beautiful is great too. Very sad though.

I only read my first Sophie Kinsella recently and choose Can You Keep A Secret to start and it was so funny. I have never laughed at a book so much. I am def gonna start off on the Shopaholic series.

Also recently discovered Paige Toon, I really loved Lucy In The Sky and Johnny Be Good although not sure on the ending of the latter.

Anita Notora - Take A Look At Me Know was also a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

If it hasn't been mentioned, The Book Thief is a fantastic book

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Others I'd like to add (if they haven't been thrown into the mix already):

The Witch of Portobello - Paulo Coelho
    The Little Friend - Donna Tartt
    Sexing the Cherry - Jeanette Winterson

On the chick-lit end of things:

Jemima J - Jane Green
    Anything by Marian Keyes

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Any book by Sheila O'Flanagan really, she's a great writer, and the women are always really strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

If it hasn't been mentioned, The Book Thief is a fantastic book

I second that!

Also highly recommendable, even though not easy to read:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

That book is...different.

For lighter stuff, the 44, Scotland Street series by Alexander McCall Smith. Just finished the most recent one, very good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Life of Pi by Yann Martel is a fantastic read!

Captain Correlli's mandolin is the only book to have had me crying at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Haven't read any of the thread but

The boy in the stripped pyjamas. You would swear it was actually written by an 8 year old. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

anything by jodi picoult- especially my sisters keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭bensoneb

Have to agree with all the posters in relation to Marian Keyes, she's really a tonic!!

I love Lesley Pearse and would recommend her highly. My favourite books of hers are 'Never Look Back' and 'Remember Me'. She's a brilliant story teller..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You would swear it was actually written by an 8 year old.

That in itself would be enough to put me off ever wanting to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Zaph wrote: »
    That in itself would be enough to put me off ever wanting to read it.

No it really is brillaint Zaph! Cant wait to see the movie :)

Pattie Boyds' Autobiography - Wonderful Today, is absolutely fantastic
    (She was married to George Harrison and Eric Clapton ;))

Just finished 'Thing I want my Daughters to Know' By Elizabeth Noble and loved it... bawled my eyes out! :o

Advertisement